Swords of Thanatos blog

Ok let me start off by saying that not in a million years would I have thought to start up a space marine blog. To me space marines were always the most boring army out there and I've never really considered painting them. :)

Reading through the HH books I found that instead of the bad guys, it's the good guys that are the most interesting to me. And then Iacton put up his brilliant Imperial fist marine. I've struggled finding a paint scheme for a traitor chapter that could keep my attention and painting yellow seemed like a great challenge to try out.

So I started with the battle for Macragge marines to practice on.

I didn't want to start with all yellow Imperial fists, so I'm trying to set up a DIY chapter: [clicky]

Setting up a chapter has given me quite some ideas, and I'm really, really satisfied with the paint scheme. For once I can't wait to continue with the next mini where usually I tend to get bored with a scheme after I've painted it once. Things have really clicked. Anyways here's a pic or two.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/Sexyspaintshed/40K/fotonummer029.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/Sexyspaintshed/40K/fotonummer026.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/Sexyspaintshed/40K/fotonummer028.jpghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/Sexyspaintshed/40K/fotonummer030.jpg

I found making all the scratches a bit harder then I expected, but it'll get better with practice. Hope to have the next update in a week and a half.

Yes I agree, yellow marines really stand out if done well... its yellow scouts I personally can't abide...

"Did you see where that shot came from?"

"No but theres a giant canary in that tree over there."

I think he looks a great deal like Bumblebee from the new Transformers movie - all he'd need is electric blue eye lenses. Have you thought about it?

Excellent paint job overall, as well. Really nicely done.

Yes I agree, yellow marines really stand out if done well... its yellow scouts I personally can't abide...

"Did you see where that shot came from?"

"No but theres a giant canary in that tree over there."

I'm considering putting that one in my signature, it cracked me up. ;)

Thanks for the comments guys.

@Wander, he does have blue lenses, but it doesn't quite show in the picture. But after that Transformer comparison I'm not quite sure I want to continu with this scheme. God, I hated that movie. :ph34r:

I LIKE this scheme. Everything is in the right places, good choice on where to keep black and where to stick with the yellow. Really nice painting too. Think you're onto something :)

:( It's the red corsair paintscheme with red substituted by yellow.

@Qu1f, the yellow is golden yellow shaded with that gryphone sephia wash and the deeper parts shaded with devlan mud. The yellow is highlighted by adding white.

While it's a pain to get a nice smooth coat of yellow, blending and highlighting is relatively easy because of the yellows' coverage. Every disadvantage has it's advantage. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Iacton.

Without your mini I'd still be trying out different paintschemes.

I estimated it would take me about a week and a half to get something else done, but unfortunately real life got in the way. (Luckily for me it was birthdays, weddings and getting tattooed. So only good stuff. :P )

I started painting again yesterday, I have three guys basecoated. Depending on how many hours I can put in this week, I hope to get them done next week.

Archived