Hell's Angels from Hell

Brother Styphus

Actually bike is both wargear and unit type.

Players really should stop using RAW, and trade it for common sense. The two main arguments here are both very weak in that department.

If you argue that wargear bikes do not automatically turn the unit into 'unit type bikes', then they can in fact get in the blasted pod, as they are wargear that is unmentioned, and not the unit type.

Now if you want RAW thats cast-iron.

SO give it a rest, and discuss whats broken, and how you would fix it, not continually rules lawyer/moan about RAW (which incidentaly is EXACTLY the same thing).

If someone was playing me and they drop podded five bikers (with four vets with twin thunder hammers and apothecary for Feel no pain) I would cry "HURR bring it ON! HELLS ANGELS FROM HELL!"

Love the idea! I'd probably end up losing but it would be a cool (and memorable) game wouldn't it!

(i'd probably end up making my motorbike noise "BBBRRRM" whenever they moved too :) )

Also, do you see a bike rack on a drop pod?

No matter how hard I try - I can't shake the image of a tactical squad gearing up for a mission aboard the strike cruiser: Loading up the ammo, stashing bolters and support weapons under their chairs.... and making sure the push bikes are securely fastened to the roof. :lol:

I think it's plain that the wording was missed slightly in the new codex - bikes should have the same definition as jump packs to specifically state that they change the unit type, this much is obvious, however we're in one of those positions where the rules say two things at once - it's happened before (oh so many times) and it'll happen again I'm quite sure. The main point is that the original poster wasn't claiming to want to take this unit, just that they wanted to work through the hypothetical question. As it stands, it's possible to agree AND disagree with the proposed unit from a RAW perspective. The rulebook says one thing - that taking bikes makes you bike and not infantry. The codex says that taking one piece of wargear (jump packs) changes you from infantry to jump infantry, but DOESN'T state that taking bikes changes you from infantry to Bike. And there is that little rule from JJ saying that the rules in the codex override the rules in the BBB... now it's even trickier to see a definate answer.

Personally i think it's another example to be sent of to GW with a note from the B&C saying "caught you napping... AGAIN", though I would like to add that anyone trying the Hell's Angels from Hell (good name btw) on me had better bring earplugs so that the wattage of offensive langauge i bring to bear doesn't deafen them.

Just my opinion of course

though I would like to add that anyone trying the Hell's Angels from Hell (good name btw) on me had better bring earplugs so that the wattage of offensive langauge i bring to bear doesn't deafen them.

Just my opinion of course

You wouldn't think that would be a fun squad to face? Sure.. it's positive qualities are outweighed by the negative aspects, but that doesn't matter because the imagery would be so cool. I actually sat here for a few minutes imagining how to re-design the pod doors to fit a bike.

Yeah it would be fun, but you gotta work that stuff out beforehand - there has to be a reason why we're bending the rules (in a friendly match) - usually to fit in with whatever scenario/background we're working through. I meant if someone had brought it to a pickup game (where RAW is LAW it seems these days - though we tend to work out any odd queries with a D6).

I can see it now: The Orks gather beyond the reach of imperial artillery. Marshalling his forces, the warboss leads the mob in one final chant before turning to give the order to charge. Suddenly, a high pitched whistling sound appears, growing deeper and louder with each passing second. Peering up into the clouds, the Warboss just has time to see the tell tale glow of an approaching craft before POW! Drop pods slam into the earth all around the ork position. But this is no ordinary space marine assault, where normally the pods would have burst open to reveal flashing bolters and gleaming armour there is only silence, save the ticking of the hulls as they cool down. The warboss approaches the nearest pod and places his ear to it... a growling sound, low and long emerges from each pod, a revving thunder builds - the orks back away, save their over-confident boss, who turns and grins at his lackeys. "Sounds like a malfunc..." BANG! The warboss dissapears under the blast ramp of the pod and from within ride the marines. Bikes revving to maximum they leap from the orbital transports and begin to deal swift death to the xenos foe (I hate wagner but you'd have to have Ride of the Valkeries playing in the background).....

Ahem, back on topic....

This kind of situation usually calls for a coin toss or D6 roll, at least until the FAQ gets put up (though I seriously doubt those in charge will grace this particular question with an answer... which should tell you all you need to know really)

• 1 month later...
@SeattleDV8-Jump Packs specify a unit type change. Terminators don't do anything to unit type, just give rules changes. Bikes taken as upgrades don't change unit type, and give special rules.

When you equip a Space Marine CM with a bike, he becomes a biker. He obeys all the rules that bike models obey. He does not, just because he bought it as an upgrade, survive when he rolls two "1" on a dangerous terrain test. That is because he changes from Infantry to bikes.

You change from being a standard Master, on foot, to being one on bike, and obey all the rules that pertain to that bike, which requires a unit change.

I mean, the line of reasoning you are taking means that you have standard infantry models who can move 12", not take dangerous terrain tests when entering difficult terrain and can turboboost. :tu:

Frankly, if you wish to be so pedantic sir, then I suggest that you take up Law as a proffession. Those rules are far more clear and concise.

Bjorn the fell-handed

Models equipped with Space Marines bikes follow ALL of the rules for bikes as described in the Warhammer 40'000 Rulebook

Tada.

Bike is a unit type, and a model mounted on a Space Marine Bike FOLLOWS ALL OF THE RULES FOR BIKES AS DESCRIBED IN THE WARHAMMER 40'000 RULEBOOK.

Congratulations for our first winner.

Brother Styphus gets the award for the first person forcing me to issue a warning too since the new procedures (which can be read HERE and should be well known by now).

In the future how about just reporting a post like your meant to?

As for this topic - its now CLOSED

Archived