Wraithwing's Raven Guard Blog *Updated 08/11/08*

Wraithwing

Greetings battle-brothers,

Despite promising myself not too, I find myself starting another Space Marine army. With the advent of the new dex, I figured now would be a good time, combined with the fact that AoBR provides such a wealth of miniatures. Its all still in the WIP phase, and no paint has been added yet, but that will happen over the next week. Must not let these stop me finishing my Dark Angels...

So, without further ado, heres what I have so far.

First off, a Veteran sergeant for one of my Black Reach squads:

gallery_5348_2646_11027.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_49702.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_17710.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_53517.jpg

I've tried to make him look tooled-up without going OTT. Once painted, helm and power fist will be white, as befits his veteran status.

And now, the AoBR Dread. Nothing too special, but I found an awesome addition in my bits box:

gallery_5348_2646_14889.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_66622.jpg

The shield on the Dread is from the power armoured Inquisitor figure, whose name escapes me. Tyranus or something. Anyway, as its virtually a stylised RG chapter symbol, I thought it would fit perfectly. Just need to GS a ravens head instead of the double-headed eagles that were formerly there.

Anyway, let me know what you think thus far. Early days yet, I know.

To come will be a 10 man unit of plastic Sternguard, and a 10 man unit of plastic Vanguard. Not being cheap here, I just feel as though the metals don't offer enough variety or Raven Guard-ness :lol:

Also planning on painting up Shrike to lead said Vanguard, and two 10 man Tactical units. These will be AoBR with head swaps to add dynamism. Oh, and they'll all have drop pods! :P

Cheers,

WW

I think the amount of kitting out is just right for the vet sarge (though I've gotta wonder what the rope is about heh). I prefer plenty of detail and gubbins for character and squad leader models - these guys have been around and are likely to be noticably more decorated than the average battle brother. I think you've done well, keep it up ^_^

I think the amount of kitting out is just right for the vet sarge (though I've gotta wonder what the rope is about heh). I prefer plenty of detail and gubbins for character and squad leader models - these guys have been around and are likely to be noticably more decorated than the average battle brother. I think you've done well, keep it up :)

That would be a hyper-tensile grappling cable :D

I figured it fitted the theme of a guerilla warfare/stealth ops chapter such as the RG. I'll be painting it metalics to represent its hyper-tensile grapplyness :D

And thanks for the positive comment, he'll be basecoated in about 5 minutes, and hopefully get some paint on him tonight.

where is the rope from it looks great not a fan of the shield but then again its not my army so...

where is the rope from it looks great not a fan of the shield but then again its not my army so...

Its from the Mordhiem human sprue I think. One of those bits thats been in my collection for years. I've just painted it up Boltgun and washed it, looks well cool.

Painted piccies will be up tomorrow :eek

Cheers,

WW

So, got some paint on this guy as a sort of test mini for my armies colour scheme. This what I have so far:

gallery_5348_2646_24592.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_59122.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_54497.jpg

At this stage, I'm still adding Fortress Grey to the Codex Grey to build up to white. And ignore the splodges of grey on the black :)

Next up: Plastic Vanguard...

Cheers,

WW

Well, managed to get some work done on my plastic Vanguard tonight. I'm fairly pleased with the results, though their not finished by a long shot.

Here's my progress so far:

gallery_5348_2646_89660.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_33123.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_56415.jpg

They'll be an expensive unit in game terms, but I think they'll look cool once done. Let me know what you think. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can bling up their Jump Packs with, let me know (currently playing around with the wings from the DA icons on the RW sprue).

Also, just another mini I did some work on. The Sgt for my second Tactical squad, converted from the AoBR Sgt:

gallery_5348_2646_24996.jpg

As ever, C&C is most welcome. Next up will be the finishing touches to my Vanguard, and then plastic Sternguard!

Cheers,

WW

This is probably just nitpicking, but for the 2nd tactical sarge, I would make his head point to where his hand is. I think it would make the pose a little more dynamic.

Apart from that, good job. What are you going to use for black highlights, thinned Codex Grey?

This is probably just nitpicking, but for the 2nd tactical sarge, I would make his head point to where his hand is. I think it would make the pose a little more dynamic.

Apart from that, good job. What are you going to use for black highlights, thinned Codex Grey?

Man, don't talk to me about highlights for black. I'm dreading it. At the moment, I'm probably gonna head down the Codex Grey road. Advice and tips are always appreciated.

And I'll have a play wth the Sgt. I tried to mirror the original pose, but he does look kind of awkward now that you mention it. I'll have a think.

Man, don't talk to me about highlights for black. I'm dreading it. At the moment, I'm probably gonna head down the Codex Grey road. Advice and tips are always appreciated.

And I'll have a play wth the Sgt. I tried to mirror the original pose, but he does look kind of awkward now that you mention it. I'll have a think.

Do a mix of Chaos black and codex grey as your first highlight. That'll give you a very dark grey (charcoal grey). When applied to the black you shouldn't be able to see the charcoal grey highlight from a distance. Then mix in more grey as you build up the highlights. Your last stage should be thinned codex grey on the sharp edges (or maybe add a tiny bit of fortress grey for the sharp edges).

It's really not as hard as most people seem to think. I'd take highlighting black over shading white any day.

try turquoise as the colour to mix with black for a highlight. gives a soft more natural highlight, but can be 'sharpened' (artificially bright) to look really quite 'cold' and high tech. am still using the old paints, using 'hawk turqouise', not sure if the same colour still exists now.

Do a mix of Chaos black and codex grey as your first highlight. That'll give you a very dark grey (charcoal grey). When applied to the black you shouldn't be able to see the charcoal grey highlight from a distance. Then mix in more grey as you build up the highlights. Your last stage should be thinned codex grey on the sharp edges (or maybe add a tiny bit of fortress grey for the sharp edges).

It's really not as hard as most people seem to think. I'd take highlighting black over shading white any day.

Have you ever tried using progressively lighter shades of blue for highlighting black? It works well and the model doesn't end up looking grey.

Have you ever tried using progressively lighter shades of blue for highlighting black? It works well and the model doesn't end up looking grey.

I find that tends to confuse the eye too much. People keep asking if the model is midnight blue as opposed to black.

So I use the grey above. The highlight lines are not thick so the vast majority of the model is still black and easily identifiable.

Just a small update today.

Did some more work on the Vanguard squad, got their heads on and jump packs fitted. Still some blinging to do as befits their Veteran status.

Currently also building a Scout Squad with Sniper Rifles. Telion is too sweet not to take ^_^

Anyway, heres the latest shot of the Vanguard:

gallery_5348_2646_40017.jpg

As always, C&C are most welcome.

Cheers,

WW

Regarding your second sergeant, another possibility is to turn his head back (opposite of where his arm is pointing), as if he is commanding his squad to assault "over there".

Loving your Vanguard conversions. I take it you are using assault termie LCs for them? Did you use the entire arm or just the fist/claw part?

Keep up the great work!

Regarding your second sergeant, another possibility is to turn his head back (opposite of where his arm is pointing), as if he is commanding his squad to assault "over there".

Loving your Vanguard conversions. I take it you are using assault termie LCs for them? Did you use the entire arm or just the fist/claw part?

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the positive comments!

For the LC's, I used a razor saw to cut them off the arm below the fist, then attached them to regular Power Armoured arms. Comparing them to Shrike, they look about the same.

By using the razor saw, it kept the armoured cabling intact, so I've since reattached them to the Claws and arms.

Cheers,

WW

Just another brief update. This may well be my last for a couple of weeks, as I really need to focus on getting my Dark Angels finished for an upcoming tournament.

Anyway, without further ado, I present plastic Sternguard:

gallery_5348_2646_20426.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_19795.jpg

gallery_5348_2646_31118.jpg

Need to add a bit more bling, and tidy him up a little, but let me know what you think. Once done, all ten will have Eagle (or Raven in this case) backpacks.

Cheers,

WW

Great looking models. I have some questions though:

1: Where did you find the bolter with the sling? Scouts perhaps?

2: Where did you find the bolter magazine in the second model...the box-mag one?

I want to do some sternguard in plastics myself and those two bits are about all that elude me.

Essayons.

I can answer those for you:

1. that particular bolter with sling is probably the black reach captain (guaging from the inscription on the bolter) though bolters with slings can be found on the scouts and dark angels sprues for marine usage.

2. that box magazine is from a terminator's storm bolter.

I can answer those for you:

1. that particular bolter with sling is probably the black reach captain (guaging from the inscription on the bolter) though bolters with slings can be found on the scouts and dark angels sprues for marine usage.

2. that box magazine is from a terminator's storm bolter.

You win a cookie :P The bolter with sling is from the Dark Angels sprue. I have lots of them, so will be using them throughout my RG army.

And yes, its a Terminator Storm Bolter clip.

@Tabor - Yes, its Telion. He had is Ultrasmurf iconography dremelled off yesterday :)

Archived