Daemonhunter Advantage Vs Daemons

amuro_ray

Hi all

It's just mentioned by my friend that in the rulebook: any unit which has to do a difficult terrain test to charge in the assault phase will have their initiative reduced to 1, unless they bring an assault grenades.

In our Daemonhunter Codex Special Rules:

Any daemon which attempts to assault a grey knight will have to do a difficult terrain test

Does this makes any daemon other than slaanesh daemonetes charges any grey knight at initiative 1 ?

Thx

Hi all

It's just mentioned by my friend that in the rulebook: any unit which has to do a difficult terrain test to charge in the assault phase will have their initiative reduced to 1, unless they bring an assault grenades.

In our Daemonhunter Codex Special Rules:

Any daemon which attempts to assault a grey knight will have to do a difficult terrain test

Technically they are reduced to Initiative 1, but the spirit of the rule is that they "must roll dice for their assault range as if they were moving into difficult ground". Since difficult terrain no longer applies that rule, only the example is void. They should roll dice for their assault range, but not suffer from difficult terrain.

Technically they are reduced to Initiative 1, but the spirit of the rule is that they "must roll dice for their assault range as if they were moving into difficult ground". Since difficult terrain no longer applies that rule, only the example is void. They should roll dice for their assault range, but not suffer from difficult terrain.

The 'spirit of the rule' which, lets be honest, is just your opinion of the rule not the RAW, actually vindicates the harsher reading.

By the fluff, 'Rites of Exorcism' represents the raw faith of the Grey Knights physically hurting Daemons, and thus slowing their entry into combat. If you were a Daemon, it's like charging a squad of giants who are on fire :D .

By the rules, here is the breakdown;

First, the rule;

"Rites of Exorcism; ....All Daemons attempting to charge Grey Knights must roll dice for their Assault range as if they were moving in difficult ground"

pg. 8, Codex: Daemonhunters

Now, lets refer to the main rulebook about close-combat, under "Assaulting Through Cover";

"The second disadvantage is...if an assaulting unit had to take a difficult or dangerous terrain test during their Assault move, all of it's models have their Initiative value lowered to 1 when attacking, regardless of other Initiative modifiers."

pg. 36, BRB

So, lets examine the conditions set;

1. The Daemon unit must be 'attempting to charge' a Grey Knight unit/Inquisitor with Heirophant

2. They take a difficult terrain test when doing so

3. By taking said test, all Daemon models are reduced to I1

Conclusion; If a Daemon charges a unit of Grey Knights, it will have to roll as if moving in difficult terrain, and be at I1 for that round of combat

As a seperate issue, does the 'Aura' on Daemonettes make them immune to the I1 nerf from 'Rites' ?

Again, lets check the rules;

"Aura of Acquiescence: Models with this Gift count as equipped with both assault grenades and defensive grenades"

pg. 75, Codex: Chaos Daemons

From the main rulebook;

"Assault Grenades: ...Models equipped with assault grenades don't suffer the penalty to their Initiative for assaulting enemies through cover, but fight as normal"

pg. 36, BRB

Conclusion; Daemonettes (and other units with 'Aura') still roll for difficult terrain when assaulting, but are at their normal Initiative.

/Agree with everything RD said.

if an assaulting unit had to take a difficult or dangerous terrain test during their Assault move

The language fits the situation perfectly.

It is worded in such a way that tells us, "you don't need the actual terrain to produce the I1 penalty".

The exact same broad wording in the "Aura" also applies.

RD seems to have done us the service of locating all the pertinent passages.

It seems highly doubtful that any further text could be brought to bear on this and cause a reversal.

I don't see any debate on this one.

I would play exactly as RD has stated for all the reasons he says to. It makes the most sense from a RAW standpoint. And, really, why can't the Daemonhunters still have something that affects daemons, eh? It would be a stingy opponent indeed who would deny these kinds of rules for us.

Archived