Is This Information Official?

minigun762

This is part of a Index Astartes regarding the Sons of Malice from the Malal Lives site. My question is, is this actual GW fluff or fan ficition?

Combat Doctrine

The Sons of Malice are vicious, brutal and bloodthirsty in the extreme, although with just a hint of restraint. In the vast majority of their reported actions, the Renegade Chapter favour an infantry based close assault force, often backed up with remnants of Scelus’ feral tribesmen and foul turncoat traitor guardsmen as well as various other downtrodden desperados.

Often the auxiliary elements of an attacking force act as a distraction whilst the Sons of Malice themselves prepare for the right moment to make a sudden deathblow strike from forward positions, be it through prior infiltration, teleportation or other means.

It has been noted that the Sons of Malice often operate in squad formations larger than can be accommodated by regular transport vehicles such as the Rhino, and indeed that other vehicles, tanks & artillery are rarely sighted alongside them.

Organisation

Since they first appeared on record the Sons of Malice have been regarded as non-conformist Chapter, going against the teachings of the Codex Astartes. Whereas it is usual to field 10 companies with in a Chapter, the Sons of Malice have 11.

The 11th company is made up of selected members of the 1st company and was, prior to his disappearance, led personally by Chapter Master Ba’kel. That the Sons of Malice effectively have two companies of veterans is not such an unusual thing given the overzealous nature of the Chapter where combating forces of the Ruinous Powers is concerned.

In comparison to the other traitor legions the general organisation of the Sons of Malice is not that far gone from the codex norm. What equate to tatical, assault and devastator squads can clearly be found, although the latter often field a more diverse selection from the traditional support weapons.

Another peculiarity amongst the Sons of Malice when compared again to renegade chapters is that the psykers of the chapter have retained the traditional blue uniform of loyal librarians.

Well they really are from Scelus, and the planet really was feral (though I am pretty sure it is now perdata). Also if I remember correctly they are cannibals and were excommunicated following an incident involving a boisterous victory feast and some Imperial interlopers, but I might be wrong, look around for index astartes: renegade chapters, the only canon info on the SoM is in there.

I've heard someof this before,lke the squads of 11 and such But I'm pretty sure it's fanfiction. I do accept the Index Astartes as canon though, so looking there would be a good reference if you want to start a Sons of Malice army. The Ba'kel seems to be a rather dull reference to Be'lakor, Malal's champion in WHFB in the early days.

I like the Malal as a god thing. But there should be a clearline between fanfluff and official.Though these line ar sometimes rather vague with all the argueing if BL stuff and the Index Astartes are to be accepted as official.

edit:<DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>ty keyboard

I like the Malal as a god thing. But there should be a clearline between fanfluff and official.Though these line ar sometimes rather vague with all the argueing if BL stuff and the Index Astartes are to be accepted as official.

Agreed. Finding the difference is a pain.

The website lists the information as an Index Astartes but it seems like the author is just putting the information down in that form, rather than it being an actual IA from GW.

I have to say though that Malal is no longer officially recognised, due to there being some level of "disagreement" between Games Workshop and his creator, as he was not actually created by one of their staff, that's all I know on that subject, as for the Son's of Malice, I perhaps know as much about them as any one else, in other words, very little.

We were just discussing Malal in another thread. I'll just copy my description from there:

Just saw that one, and could not let it uncommented. Malal was created for the Warhammer Fantasy RPG by one of the artists to be used as the patron god for one of his characters. Since it was not GW's own IP they did not include him in many other WHFRPG material. There has never been any official material on Malal for Warhammer 40K. The Sons of Malice and the Dreadaxe in the last Codex Chaos were nods in that direction, sort of a homage to old school GW lore, but there really never was a Malal in WH40K.

Archived