Archangels

Retrograde

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this thread as I haven't started on any minis yet.

I've been lurking around B&C for years but this is my first post so bear with me if I ramble on a bit.

Lately I've really had the urge to get a decent sized army together for the first time. I usually just

convert and paint singular minis (usually chaos space marines) as I don't play tabletop.

The Emperor's children were my first choice but due to the lack of decent EC bits available and my

overwhelming urge to thoroughly convert EC minis I'd never get more than a couple of squads together

let alone paint them.

I've decided on a complete u-turn and am going to go with their loyal counterparts. As for the chapter

I considered the Imperial Fists for awhile but finally decided to take the chance to create my own.

The rough idea I have in mind for this chapter is that it actually isn't one chapter but two.

The first is an old Imperial fist successor chapter still slightly bitter at the breakup of the old legions,

the second is a more recently founded one of unknown lineage.

These chapters have pooled thier resources and rebelled against the Imperium as it stands.They hope to

(rather naively) recreate the days of the Great Crusade when the Imperium was at it's zenith and the

Emperor was reveared as the natural leader of the humanity, not a god.

Together they've formed a small but effective legion in the old sense. I imagine them to have somewhere

in the order of 2,500 Astartes. I'm not sure yet whever they'll find a way to drastically increase

this number. Guardsmen from nearby 'enlightened' worlds function as the Imperial Army did in the legions.

Aside from the legion's Astartes ships I'm undecided about their navy strength.

I was thinking of calling the astartes in this Legion the Archangels. I really like the name

although I'm unsure how popular this name is with DIY chapters. If there's already loads I might change it.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9416/archangelsfg1.th.jpghttp://img522.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

I really like this colour scheme as it has the pure, regal look I want these marines to have as they

spread the true word of the Emperor through the stars. As the Archangels fuction as a legion they are

definitely not codex and this really expands my scope of painting and eventually modelling opertunities.

This scheme won't be adhered to as rigidly as codex chapters would, maybe I'll have the ex-chapter marines

keep a shoulderpad with their original heraldry like deathwatch. The newer legion era recruits will look

more like the pic. I'm going with a deep red with gold trim for all astartes vehicles, maybe even the army

vehicles if I get that far with this project of course.

Anyway that's it for now, any comments, advice and positive critisism would be helpful.

Cheers

Sounds like a very interesting plan...

I definitely haven't come across another DIY Chapter called the Archangels, so you should be fine with that.

The scheme is good, looks very striking.

My one bit of advice is, I wouldn't use Imperial Fists Lineage... Besides the Ultrasmurfs, they are one of the most loyal chapters in the Imperium, and the likelihood of one of their successor chapters being a bit upset with the Imperium is little to nil...

Otherwise, awesome concept, very original... Get some Mini's painted :D

Corus

Hi Corus, thanks for the feedback :confused:

You're right of course about the Fists loyalty to the Imperium. This successor chapter will however

eventually have a bigger and more recent reason to have rebelled then the breakup of the old legions,

I've just got to think of it.

Also according to the CSM codex smurf successors rebel aswell somtimes. There's a story about a squad

or company sent and left on a hive world to mop up genestealer broods. For a reason I can't quite

remember they slowley start to despise the planetary governor and eventually they overthrow him and

dedicate themselves to chaos.

I personally don't like the idea of Ultramarines turning to chaos... Fists maybe (Slaanesh).

The Archangels won't see themselves as renegades, they follow the Emperor over the Imperium and wish to

complete what they think were his plans for the galaxy. In order to do this they've gone on the offensive

rather than doggedly defend their current area of space.

Maybe the reason they can do this is that their local neighborhood of systems has been relatively quite

for sometime and the chapters have focused their attention on the plight of nearby sectors. They feel

the Imperium as it stands is incapable of long term survival and plan to herald a new era of scientific

enlightenment.

I know it's all a bit perfect and Tau-esque at the moment but I'm sure the storyline will take a darker

turn as it evolves. <_<

I've haven't read much about the Soul Drinkers but I'm sure the Archangels will differ from them

more significantly as the story evolves.

Of the little I have read about didn't they have had a brush with chaos and were expelled and

severely mauled by the Imperium as a result?.

For now the main differences between the two are that the Archangels storyline won't involve

them at risk or falling to chaos. Also the Archangels have formed quite a powerful force to

acheive their aims. They are not an understrength renegade chapter, they are a renegade legion.

• 7 months later...

Hi all

As you can see from the date of my last post I'm one of the less productive members here. Lately though I've been

inspired into action by some of the great stuff being posted here and on the other 40k sites.

All these models are still very WIP and are only blue tacked at the moment... I've got model comitment issues ;)

MK 5

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3513/mk5z.th.jpg

The extra studs on the helmet were created using Ufthak's method of filling small holes with multiple layers of PVA glue

using a toothpick. Cheers ufthak ;)

MK 8

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8069/mk8m.th.jpg

The discs on the inside of the ankles are placeholders. The final ones will be smaller and I'll sink them into the armour a bit.

Emperor's Childen marine

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5650/17512883.th.jpg

As soon as I saw Tortoise's brilliant ECs I knew I had to have a go at making helmets like that. This is my first proper effort at sculpting anything and even though it didn't come out as I planned I still quite like him.

Chapter Master?

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1593/chaptermastery.th.jpg

My plan for this guy is to eventually create an almost completely muscled suit of artificer armour. The helmet was made using the face from the heroquest barbarian mini.

MK 4 and plastic card Kopis

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/98/mk4d.th.jpg

I'll change the groin guard and probably add studs on the knee plates. The sword is made from plastic card and I'll probably give them to almost all my marines as a standard CC weapon. I'm going to change the handle for more suitable when I can be bothered :P

Thanks for looking

Archived