My first TDA squad - Advise needed for terminator newbie

DGC

Greetings to my fellow Wolf Brothers, I seek your wisdom again

I have been running roughly 2000pts of Space Wolves under the banner of Logan himself and have got to the point of wanting to include Logan in TDA with a retinue. As I have never used termies before I am considering getting a box full and the Forgeworld conversion set but don't really know which way to best equipe them.

A If I include Logan, he would be an HQ and comes with what ever equipement is listed so I would be looking at using the termies as a body gaurd

B Use one of the stunning Forgeworld figures as a WGBL and the remaining as his retinue

I am going to use magnets and will be willing to purchase what ever additional wargear as needed. If it helps, my main opponant is DA who I really don't seem to have a problem with until he gets himself more mobile. The bane of my life are Tau, so I am hoping the inclusion of Logan + will help

Other info that maybe of use. I run a mainly mech / infantry list - two GH squads in Razorbacks (las and HB), one full GH squad with opptions to run any way needed, 13 Bloodclaws, a rhino and two Dropods. Heavy support normally comes in the way of a Predator Annihalator and a Vindicator. Fast is normally a pair of Tornadoes but I have also nearly finished two attack bikes. My current HQs are a mounted WGBL with Frost blade and a mounted Wolf Priest with standard stuff. My third HQ in a ven dread with AC, DCCW, Heavy Flamer etc. Thre are others but they are need thier own transports or to join with other squads. I have the trad Scout squad - 2 P/Ps, Meltagun, and have a further squad of six if needed with P/Ws and Plasmagun.

So there we go. If Logan were to join his troops and bring his own chosen elite, how would they be equipped??

Catcha - DGC

Id say your best option? 2x Assault Cannon/Powerweapon, with Runic Charm, Wolf Pelt. 1xChainfist, Combimelta, Runic Charm and Wolfpelt, 1x Stormshield+Thunderhammer/Lightningclaw/Powerweapon w/ Runic charm and pelt.

The 8 Str 6 Ap 4 shots will help alot against tau, rending helps against everything, and the Meltashot will give you an ace in the hole against heavier tanks so you dont have to CC if you dont want to. I say its personal preference on the stormshield guy, mostly because the Axe Morkai lets you have alot of adaptability- and possibly alot of powerfists.

However, unless your buying metal terminators or have someone amiable to trade with this setup would be intensive to buy.

the best combination now ( but also the most expensive) is a wolf guard battle leader with 4 wolf guard as retinue, every one with the storm shield and a weapon ( frost blade for the leader, a mix of power claws/power fists for the other, and 1 chain fist) with 3 cyclone missile launcher ( one on the wgbl ) you will have a very strong c&c squad, with 3 inv save wich can deal 6 rocket....

the best combination now ( but also the most expensive) is a wolf guard battle leader with 4 wolf guard as retinue, every one with the storm shield and a weapon ( frost blade for the leader, a mix of power claws/power fists for the other, and 1 chain fist) with 3 cyclone missile launcher ( one on the wgbl ) you will have a very strong c&c squad, with 3 inv save wich can deal 6 rocket....

You only get 1 heavy weapon per 3 Wolf Guard in the unit, rounding up. You'd need 7 Wolf Guard (and of course the WGBL) to get that many heavy weapons.

I usually take that many and load em up with assault cannons.

You only get 1 heavy weapon per 3 Wolf Guard in the unit, rounding up. You'd need 7 Wolf Guard (and of course the WGBL) to get that many heavy weapons.

I gotta say I'm up in the air between 4 AC's and 4 CML's. 8 krak missiles or 8 template frags Vs. 16 rending shots...It seems like the CML's will actually end up being more versitile as you have a true tank busting munition (yes, AC's rending can take out a tank, but you have to string lots of good rolls together to be able to vs just one) and 8 templates can do a massive amount of damage if you are even remotely accurate. That said, the ability to rend away armor saves is mighty nice...I dunno. I guess I'd have to play test this one out, but I would like to know if anyone has tried and how they like one combo vs another...

Uhh.. no.

2 Cyclones on the wolf guards (4 WG, 1 Cyclone for the first 3, 1 for the last 1) and 1 on the WGBL is 3 cyclones... perfectly legit.

I regularly bring a pod with 3 AC's in it.

I thought that CML only allowed an extra weapon to be taken, not 2, am I wrong ?

If I am well, here I come CML+ Storm Shield+ Power Weapon for everybody :P

Must be new rules in the SMC, our codex stats models armed with Heavy weapons may not use any other weapons and cannot ride bikes. All heavy weapons count as 2-handed weapons with regards to other options allowed from armoury. Pretty straight forward to me. but then again CML never used to to be a heavy 2 weapon shooting 2 missles per turn either.

Count me in. >3 - SS, PW, CML, RC, WP >2 SS, LC, RC, WP joined by a WolfPriest with SS, CB, HP&B not in termi armor. All having 3+inv saves with a reroll on first failed save, RC all around for a second save. These guys would just be begging to soak up some firepower.

Now that is what I invision when I see termies walking down the battle field laying down massive abouts of firepower. Put them down in the front/middle corner of the table and have them hold it against all comers.

and you get the strategy card that lets you shot once with one unit before the game starts . And you cover the enemy army in 6" str 9 blast templates .....x20.....muahahaha . and AC could move their fire to other units withing 2" if the original target was no more . ah the good times , I miss those 400 hormaguants armies that charged first turn . Or chaos lords that had a charge range [with gate] of around 84" .

Archived