Wulfen in a 13th Company

roon

Now i´m reunited with my books. Even during the Great Crusade there had been Wulfen. All of them had been sticked to the 13th Great Company. The Curse of the Wulfen was not only a pheanomen of the Fenris born Space Wolf, also the Terran born SW had worne the Curse of the Wulfen. The Wulfen had never been a secret in those days. And Russ trusted them like all other SW. They had earned great honour during the Great Crusade and had been a well respected Great Company.

Thats not the question though, its obvious there were wolves who bore the Mark of the Wulfen as that is exactly what the 13th Company is for. However FULL WULFEN as we know them, clawed hands, snouts, fur covered arms and faces, loping beasts unable to bear a weapon other than their claws. Those are different from Space Wolves who have fallen to the Curse of the Wulfen and begun the process. Most of the 13th Company was the later, Wolves who bore the mark but were not ravening beasts. As it is a slow transformation most of the time and can even be halted indefinitely.

However the question is whether there were actually Wulfen packs, as in packs of fully transformed Wulfen running around in the 13th Company. I'd be inclined to say probably not, anyone who fell that far was probably allowed to die in battle or was immediately taken into the care of the Wolf Priests and taken back to Fenris.

The important difference that some people seem to not be getting is as follows:

Space Wolves with the Mark of the Wulfen

-Space Wolves who have fallen to the curse and become berserkers in battle, but have not really begun the physical transformation into a Wulfen, and might be able to refrain from doing so indefinitely. The 13th Company is even able to exercise enough dicipline for these marines to still fight effectively as packs.

Wulfen

-Space Wolves who have fully transformed into Wulfen and have lost most of their sense of self. These Space Wolves have become half-man, half-wolf and are covered in fur, their faces extended into wolf like snouts and their hands bear long hard claws. They lope along in low hunched run and are unable to use conventional weapons other than their fangs and claws.

The 13th Company comprised most if not all of the Space Wolves who bore the Mark of the Wulfen during the Great Crusade, however its unsure whether they actively made use of packs of fully transformed Wulfen, or if those marines were considered too far gone and taken back to Fenris, especially given that the use of such obviously mutated Marines would be a keen sign of taint, I'd say the Space Wolves probably kept those marines well hidden and by keeping all those marines who were likely to transform into full Wulfen in the same company, by selectively deploying that company any exposure of Wulfen or witnesses could be controlled.

I agree with Vash113 here as I believe I made the same point earlier...

The fluff of the books though is always vague about what form of the MotW they are referring to, so there is easy mix-up and either side could be correct as some parts.

There were packs that fought Magnus, so that tells me it was just the mark, and not full blown wulfen yet as they were effectively in groups.

The 13th Company comprised most if not all of the Space Wolves who bore the Mark of the Wulfen during the Great Crusade, however its unsure whether they actively made use of packs of fully transformed Wulfen, or if those marines were considered too far gone and taken back to Fenris, especially given that the use of such obviously mutated Marines would be a keen sign of taint, I'd say the Space Wolves probably kept those marines well hidden and by keeping all those marines who were likely to transform into full Wulfen in the same company, by selectively deploying that company any exposure of Wulfen or witnesses could be controlled.

They had have Wulfen packs during the Great Crusade. And they had not been a secret. During the Razing of Prospero the 13th lead the assault with their Wulfen as their spear tip. The Custodians and their leader Canstantin Valdor had seen them and they report directly to the big E. You can find a pic in the HH artbook. This is the best source we have for the HH and the Great Crusade.

Actually I didn't get it backwards, WGL's are 5 points more than WGBG. I also don't know where you got the idea I said I give them frost axes, because I never did. :D

-edit-

On a side note, your MotW guy that you made there is 62 points not 57, if you didn't give him the runic charm then he'd be 57, but with them he's 62 points. :)

Yeah, I realised I had the points values wrong when I was at work later that night.... sorry.

And your not the one who said anything about the frostblades, I was replying to Olmstedtr.

They had have Wulfen packs during the Great Crusade. And they had not been a secret. During the Razing of Prospero the 13th lead the assault with their Wulfen as their spear tip. The Custodians and their leader Canstantin Valdor had seen them and they report directly to the big E. You can find a pic in the HH artbook. This is the best source we have for the HH and the Great Crusade.

On the other hand I believe that artwork came from what a Card Game? And after all a lot of it is being retconned with the Horus Heresy series. Rumours are that Dan Abnett is workin on a Space Wolf book, perhaps even the Scouring of Prospero. After all more... solid fluff about the Weregeld and Wulfen points to there being more mystery about them even in those days. Which leads me to believe that the Artbooks are probably not a good indication of whether full Wulfen were actually used or not.

On the other hand I believe that artwork came from what a Card Game? And after all a lot of it is being retconned with the Horus Heresy series. Rumours are that Dan Abnett is workin on a Space Wolf book, perhaps even the Scouring of Prospero. After all more... solid fluff about the Weregeld and Wulfen points to there being more mystery about them even in those days. Which leads me to believe that the Artbooks are probably not a good indication of whether full Wulfen were actually used or not.

I think the reason why we make a secret of the Curse of the Wulfen today is that the Inquisition is around. Back in the days of the Great Crusade the big E. commanded the Legions until they had been reunited with their Primarch. So he knows of the Curse. It had always been a part of our Legion. This indicates that they had been under the protection of the big E. and later under Russ´protection. Later with the Emperor on the Golden Throne, the 13th GC and Russ missing and the founding of the Inquisition in the aftermath of the HH this protection was no longer given and the Wulfen had become our secret.

You´re right, Vash. The Artbook based on the CCG but it´s still the best source for the pre and heresy era. And it´s authorized by GW. So it is still the best source we have at the moment.

Archived