Painting/ stylistic dilemma for Deathwatch marines

Panzerkopf

Have any of you ever seen a really cool paintjob for a space marine chapter? Have any of you found really cool fluff for an obscure chapter? Have you ever wanted to paint your space marines 26 different colors from 27 different chapters because of this? I have this problem all the time so rather than make 948 different armies, I decided to make a Deathwatch Killteam featuring all of the cool Rogue Trader chapters I fell in love with as a kid and some new arrivals.

The problem is that some of those chapters, like the Howling Griffons, have very striking color schemes that would lose their affect when placed only on the shoulder pad of a sombre Deathwatch marine. The only solution I could find would be to paint more than one area of the armor in the original chapter livery but that would be unfluffy. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would think of your favoirte color. Then I would utilize either black, white or brown. I would choose a metallic that I liked. Think of a symbol. I personally like to use stuff from my childhood. However, if u are looking for inspiration, read a history book or the bible. They will have a lot about wars and factions. Today I learned of the Legion of Black Hands (Death) in history class. If u can think of a familiar or theme u like even better. Having a good theme is very important as it will determine certain aspects of your chapter. For instance, if u choose orange, black would intensify that colour. I think gold would add a nice color. I would choose yellow as my secondary light colour. I dunno, thats my thoughts. In the end its what u think will look the most cool.

I found when I did my Deathwatch, this really only came up with halved or quartered paint scemes (Like the Howling Griffons you mentioned)

The best way to get round this (in my opinion) is to paint his shoulder pad as you'd expect - ie follow the Deathwatch rules to the letter - and add a tabard (like the Company Champion Chest piece) in the colour scheme of the chapter you're using.

For instance...

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s106/widowmakerphotos/Games%20Workshop/Warhammer%2040K/Imperial/Inquisition/Ordo%20Xenos/Deathwatch/P1000788.jpg

Hope it helps.

Widowmaker

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/jeskasl/SANY0609.jpg

I've starting to convert my SM army over to Ordo Xenos. Using my own DiY chapter as well as a few others from here. Still wanting my army to be a bit unique I've decided to paint part of the arms to match the parent chapter.

In this picture I have 2 Emperor's Word marines (2nd and 3rd) and a Blood Brotherhood marine (4th).

Archived