Bolt of Change Usefulness?

minigun762

My first impression of this ability is its an assault multi-melta equivalent, typically fired at BS5 which should make it a lovely little tank buster, but is that the best use of an HQ unit or the ability itself?

If you aren't sniping armor, it will do a good job of getting rid of MEQs/TEQs but a Doombolt or Wind of Chaos would do much better against infantry.

This power does have an extra 12" range on the Melta gun, but at the sacrifice of the Melta special rule. Not to mention you have to spend an extra 55 points in order to get the power for your sorcerer.

It's nice that you can have your sorcerer give a good, solid *thwack* to anything in 24" alongside your troops, but as you said, not the best for taking out infantry. It could be a good finisher to anyone that survived the first (or second) volley.

My opinion, take it if your facing an armor heavy army (Iron Warriors, possibly IG) or a army that doesn't have that many units on the field (Crons, SM, and so on). However, like you said, Doombolt and Wind of Chaos are better for taking out mass infantry.

I've had fun with the power, but I feel that most of the time I'd be better off with Doombolt (for keeping my sorceror/prince cheaper) or Wind of Chaos.

BoC is ok for busting tanks or putting a W on another MC b4 the DP assaults, but as you said the doombolt and WoC are both better anti-troop. I really think that for the cost involved to get it the BoC should really do more, str 9, or melta rules maybe, would those be too powerful ?? I mean you have to take expensive MoTz to get it and then pay 25 pts, and it's a 24" ML :huh:

Archived