Power weapons or Power Fists?

ant7

I am just now building my CSM army and my first squad is together. I equipped the champion with a power sword, my question is should it be a power fist? My army is made up mainly tactical squads with no heavy weapons in rhinos.

I don't think there is a right or wrong to that Q, PF have advantages and so do PW's.

I will always take at least some PF's in my army, but PW's are a better option in 5th then they wre in 4th. Maybe some of each (if the game is big enough)

I don't think there is a right or wrong to that Q, PF have advantages and so do PW's.

I will always take at least some PF's in my army, but PW's are a better option in 5th then they wre in 4th. Maybe some of each (if the game is big enough)

Agreed, why pick just one?

Take a Power Fist if you're squad has dual Meltaguns as you'll be focused on taking out heavier targets (MCs/Armor). For a Power Weapon, give it to a squad with dual Flamers and go hunting for light/medium infantry.

Agreed with the previous comments. Just be careful of Wraithlords. Melta Bombs won't work v them; only Power Fists will. Against Eldar you lose nothing to Initiative since they go first, anyway. While Power Weapons are cheaper (and have their place) they're still only wounding on 4s v Marines. If you can strike first (Furious Charging Beserkers or Slaanesh marines), Power Swords are worth it.

Both have their place but I'd have aspiring Champs have Power Fists (unless Bezerkers or Slaanesh) and Lords have Power Weapons (unless you use those lovely Daemon weapons). With Plague Marines it is a no-brainer: use Power Fists.

Hope this helps.

Archived