Golden Demon Discussion

dark_inquisitor

Since this site is my only real connection to the w40k gaming/mini world right now, I'm kinda confused on the Golden Demon contest interperetations and such. I'm planning on making an entry for 2009, possibly 2010, but I don't want to go all the way, do all the work, only to find out I've been working for wrong category, or find that it's not admissable into the contest.

I suppose my first question is this: How much of the figure must be actual parts, and how much can be completely sculpted (i.e. can I sculpt an entire "backpack" for power armour, or do I have to use actual peices and go from there?)

what's considered higher ranked, NMM techniques, or metallic techniques?

(btw, I know these are amateur questions, but everybody's gotta start somewhere, right?)

how much are tickets for entrance to Game Day, and does it cost even more to enter the GD?

and lastly, until I think of more, can you GD entrants share your experiences, first experiences, and any advice you can give the noobs?

OK, there is a 'general rule' that entried must be at least 1/3 GW model, however this is largely unwritten, and there are many examples (blood bowl player) of complete sculpts, so I don't think its a problem (plus you can always argue that the 'skeleton' is a gw model).

Judges value good real metallics over NMM, you never see NMM doing that well (in comparison to metallics) as it tends to only look great from certain angles, and is more suited to photographing the model, plus decent metallics are a lot harder to achieve than NMM.

Tickets in the UK now cost £30 (including gday model) and Golden Demon entry is free.

okay, thank you. Another question:

The model I'm building has a weapon of a type I've never exactly seen anyone use in warhammer, but it's entirely possible. In fact, I don't know why it's not standard on some units. It's a wrist mounted blade for close combat, but I'm also equipping my inquisitor lord with a force weapn and needle pistol, thus technically resulting in three one handed weapons from the book. the way I have it built, though, he has his second hand (with the wrist mounted blade) free for the needle pistol.

my question is this: are the GD judges rules lawyers, or do they go for whatever looks good?

Archived