Frozen Soldiers

xXwarsmithXx

The Frozen Soldiers

Prologue:

The gnawing wind rips across my back as I strike another opponent down. It is not a question of enemies; it is a question of immortality and eternal slumber. How many enemies must I defeat before I am glorified for all times in archaic tales? The enemy is strong but not forever. I lunge with my phase blade as my feet pull me out of his line of sight.

Teeth in the blackest night, irresolute shades who laugh manically under the moons face. Our battle cries are cold and chill the bones to their core. One thousand of us there are. One thousand who stand firm. One thousand who will die, fight, and kill for another. One thousand, and that is all that stands to bar the path of destruction.

We are the Frozen Soldiers. We never yield, never retreat, we do not relent until we falter from our feet. We are the Frozen Soldiers. Born in the howling winds upon a frozen desert world, we learn our trade at an early age. At the age of infants we join the Mandatorium, to be raised in a world full of hostility and hardship. Our training is irresolute; we are hard set upon to become as strong as iron and as swift as water. Our masters have no bounds, they know no bounds. Those that fail the rite of initiation are left alone; alone to huddle in the dark and cold as things unseen creep silently upon them. Those that survive are allowed to become our berserkers. Their sheer fury is an awesome sight to behold upon the battlefield. When the time approaches to be blooded we are all eager. Few fail; there are no derivations, no exceptions. Those that fail are left to pity themselves as their life’s blood soaks the nearby ground. Now we are ready for battle, now we prepare for war. We are consistent, implacable on attack and immovable on defense. We are cold, no survivors, and no prisoners. We are the Frozen Soldiers.

Chapter One:

In order to hate the world less and to love it more, we must be raised harshly.

Caleb Swift Sword blinks as his eye-lenses are battered by the flakes. It had been snowing for a week now, and the snow had accumulated up to his chest. A wolf nearby howled, signaling intruders in its domain. Caleb didn’t see the wolf though; you never see the wolves unless they stand upon your chest. If they attack from your front, which they never do. Caleb could feel his prey, it was close. So close that his fingers were begging to pull upon his Boltguns trigger. There was a moment of more intense darkness as the moon was obscured by swiftly moving clouds. Carefully staying behind cover and moving as obscurely as he could he moved towards a strange shape hanging from a nearby tree. Not good. A dire wolf had been hung and partially skinned. Its body was devoid of blood and the ground nearby was speckless.

“F.S. two this is F.S. one. I have located the prey’s lair. I advise extreme caution. Its last meal was a dire wo-……”

His words were cut off as the ground around his feet exploded in a flurry of snow. The creature had been hiding underneath the last snowfall, waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting victim. It took him off his feet straight to the ground. With all his effort he crossed his arms to prevent the creature from biting his neck. Its poisoned claws raked against his ceramite armour as its hot breath clouded up his eyepieces. The creature jerked wildy and gave a wild howl as its teeth approached closer. Caleb began to feel weaker with each moment and realized the creature was forcing its way into his mind with each passing moment; weakening him as it savored the meal to come. Caleb moved an arm to his phaseblade and began to pull it out of his sheath. As he activated the sword, the creatures body exploded in a mass of blue blood. A hand reached down and pulled him up. It was his brother, Josh Heavy Spear.

“Enjoying the ground down there?” asked Josh.

“Only if you’re there first” replied Caleb as he tackled him.

Josh didn’t reply, he only stared at Caleb’s helm for a moment before saying

“The mithril spider’s blood just melted part of your helm away”.

Caleb felt his helmet. It had a large melt above his left eyepiece followed by a trickle that had melted running down it. Caleb knew it was time to go, his limbs were beginning to accumulate ice upon them and the air was fogging up before nightfall.

“Let’s grab the spider and bring it back, it will make a fine trophy”.

Josh couldn’t help but feel proud as he and his brother dragged the spider back to the way point. His brother was a good warrior, commander of himself and the other nine soldiers including Josh. Still, it felt good to best his brother every now and again, and today was no exception. The large size of the spider and its formidable prey meant it was strong and powerful. It would make a good trophy as he and his brother would boast about it. Josh had never seen a spider so large and he doubted any of the other hunting groups could match theirs. As they entered the encampment several of their battle brothers looked up in greeting, and then in shock. Their squad mate, James Rhine Grave came over and nudged the spider with his foot.

“That is one big spider. I swear by the emperor I haven’t seen a bigger one”. “He gave you a little effort for your work, eh”? said James while staring at Caleb’s helm.

“Not that much”. Said Caleb. Josh felt disappointed as he looked at his brother, he wouldn’t expose his brother in front of his men, but he would speak later upon it. Suddenly Caleb grinned as he caught his josh’s eye. He gave a short laugh and said “Tell him the story Josh, I have to talk to Knight Arngeir and receive our new orders”. Caleb walked away and Josh was left alone as the other men began to come over. Josh chose his stone face and began to recite while the men watched and listened. When Josh came to the part about Caleb being attacked all the men laughed. James spoke first “That is a good tale. I will remember it.” James was the group’s remembrancer, charged with recovering all of the squad’s tales and recording them. “That is a large spider, but Helios and I may have bested you already”. The speaker was Isaac Frost Blade. He gestured towards a large spider over by the camp’s fire. “Helios attracted its attention while I cut its thread. It fell out of the tree it was hiding in and He made short work of it”. Josh looked at the spider; it was indeed large but not so large as his and his brother’s. “I believe you are wrong”. At that moment Caleb returned. “Who else had a successful hunt, my brothers”? He said. Azurite Fell Breath spoke up “Ablemech and I were successful, my lord”. Azurite and his twin brother Ablemech were the squad’s specialty weapon bearers. Azurite handled the team’s liquid nitrogen sprayer and Ablemech the squad’s missile launcher. “We were unsuccessful in capturing a small ice wyrm” said Battle Brother David and Battle Brother Joseph. Lastly, Battle Brother James and his companion Battle Brother Skut responded. “We were successful. Not only in just catching one dire wolf, but in two”! Warrior Caleb smiled. “That is good. Two wolves and three spiders, the dragon would have been excellent; but the dragons are ferocious. I just talked to Knight Arngeir, we are to return to base camp ere tomorrow. This has been a successful hunt”. Josh turned and stared at the fire. The seasonal hunt was over already. It had not felt like they had spent three days out in the wilderness. Looking at his companions Josh felt a forlorn feeling come over him. All of them were well experienced; it would not be long before their special training took place. The fire cracked and hissed as its red glow sought to consume everything in its path. It would not be long, and of that Josh was certain.

Chapter II

Life is hard, but even more hard for the weak.

James couldn’t help but stare. The patriarch of the chapter, Lord Alrekr Ice Fist was a massive man. So large was his size and so formidable his power that he had never been bested in combat. James barely could see over the Lords protectors, and still the man looked huge. He towered where other men barely stood. The Lord gave a swift and hardly perceptible nod; the protectors assumed a pattern of ever widening circles. When they were satisfied with the ring of room left they stood facing the four directions of the compass. Lord Alrekr raised his right fist and his Archons, first among his tacticians, issued forth. “How were the hunts”? There was a sound of many cheers as all the men gave honour not only to the hunt but more so to their Lord. “Read off the scroll, Apostle”. The crowd grew quite as one of the Templars issued forth. Apostle Zelotes was the oldest Templar in the chapter, and as such he had the honour of reading proclamations only the Lord had seen. In a quavering voice that betrayed its owner’s strength, Apostle Zelotes read. “Many have been successful. Brother Isaac, you are now assigned to Assault Squad IV. Brother Adalgar, you are now assigned to join Assault Squad IV. Brother Helios, you are now assigned to Assault Squad IV. Brother Ablemech, you are to join Devastator Squad III. Brother Michael you are to join Tactical Squad VII. Brother Aaron, you are to join Tactical Squad V. Brother Josh, you are now given the rank Warrior. You are to govern your squad. Brother Tyrael, you are now given the rank paladin. Brother Caleb, you are now given the rank Knight. You are to leave your squad and join Terminator Squad II. …” James barely heard the rest of the words. The list was extensive, but he did not heed it at all. His old squad was being dismantled. Many of his Brothers were to receive new ranks or new positions. He left the hall filled with a mixture of dismay and apprehension. Tomorrow would bring change, but tonight he would enjoy his final moments with his Battle Brothers. As he stepped out into the cold, he noticed a lone solitary figure standing in the shadows. Instantly he became wary and defensive. Keeping the light at his back he began to approach the figure. The figure turned and it was Caleb. James bowed his head out of reverence and Caleb placed his hand upon his head. “Rise. In the coming days we will be tested. I wish for you to keep a watch for my brother and ensure his safety. I am charging you with this task because I have deemed you competent and worthy of honour”. James replied, “This charge you give me I shall accept. I give you my oath”. Caleb smiled, “Then let us go and feast, for tomorrow we shall all be lost”. With that they both went back into the raucous hall and began to share the success of their hunts.

Josh took a step to his left to avoid a drunken soldier. Josh did not mind if others drank, but a true warrior never loses his competency he reminded himself. The noise of the hall behind him Josh continued into the ever winding pathways and small gardens that marked the Frozen Soldiers waypoints. The news of the night weighed heavily upon him, and he did not feel ready for his commission. He sat down on a stone bench and began to think of all the difficulties he would encounter. He began to ask the Emperor how he would manage when a voice spoke suddenly. “Do not be discouraged. Do not be distraught. The emperor protects”. Looking over, Josh saw that it was Zelotes. Josh quickly made the sign of the acquila. “How does one know when he is ready”? Zelotes looked slowly into his eyes and said “One is never ready enough, one must accept this and prepare accordingly. The emperor protects”. With that the Apostle walked down the passageway and out of sight. Josh sighed. The emperor may protect, but would he protect his squad?

Chapter III

One must train and strengthen courage as one does his own body. For when one finally needs courage and has not mastered his fear he will find none.

Caleb was the firstborn son. And as firstborn son he had a distinct privilege. The first company of the Frozen Soldiers was the company of terminators. Only the firstborn were allowed the honour of wearing terminator armour. Upon the armour were etched the names of all its owners. Caleb’s own name was now one of many etched into the armour. Right upon the Left gauntlet Caleb’s name was written. Caleb had chosen not to take the standard terminator helm but choose instead to retain his previous helm. The helmet spoke to him of his brother, and that a Battle Brother’s bond was the strongest imaginable. The bond of a Battle Brother stretched into death, much less life. He also retained his phase blade, a weapon that had been passed down through his family for ten generations. To merely touch the armour was the realization of a dream. Caleb could not begin to imagine what he may achieve wearing it. He envisioned himself leaping from a broken river, out of the ice, into hordes of enemies. His stormbolter cleaving huge swathes of gore as his phase blade drank from all who approached too close. The chill upon his armour and the howling of the dire wolves…Caleb…Caleb…Caleb. His eyes snapped open. He instantly bowed his head. Paladin Tyrael stood before him. “I am sorry my lord. I allowed myself to become out of mind”. Lord Tyrael looked at him for several moments, as if appraising his worth. “You have seen your armour. What do you make of it”? Caleb replied “It is more than sufficient. I am very humbled to have the honour of being in your squad”. Paladin Tyrael nodded once. “Respect the armour. Respect the man. I am your lord and I will always be at your side”. Caleb nodded. “This is uplifting indeed, it pleases me greatly to have the honour to fight at your side”. Tyrael smiled. “Prepare your armour then Knight, for we are to move shortly”. As he left Caleb began to clean and check his armour. He wished to see his brother one last time before he left.

Isaac’s breath came at a fast pace as his opponent once again attacked in a furry of slashes and thrusts. He barely had time to parry a blow that came at his head and then quickly slashed at his feet. He had been in combat for over two hours with his new squad, and he was greatly enjoying the close combat. His opponent, Adalgar, whose name meant Noble Spearman was a skilled opponent indeed. The man had skill with his spear that Isaac found almost unnerving. Isaac blocked the blade to his left and lunged towards him. He was hit hard with the butt of the spear at his chest. “Halt!” Cried Warrior Aceldama. “What mistake did you make”? Isaac replied “In seizing the initiative I did not consider the enemy allowed me the opportunity”. “That is correct. Everyone take a fifteen minute break”. Isaac plodded over to Helios Bright Shield. “How have you been faring”? He asked. “I have been doing well but I have taken several blows”. Isaac looked at Helios’ shoulder. “It’s about as bad as my shoulder is”. Isaac’s shoulders and shins were covered with puffy white welts and long, shallow open red cuts. He had already cracked several ribs, which only served to spur himself and the opponent more. “The opponents are quite skilled; I believe this is supposed to discourage joining veteran assault squads”. Helios simply ignored his postulate. Isaac asked, “What is your opponent’s name”? “His name is Damascus”. “Well he seems to slightly drop his shield when he does upward cuts with his blade”. Helios turned towards him “And your opponent…I cannot find any flaw in his form. His skills are quite formidable”. Isaac grinned “That is why I am glad to have him as a squad mate”.

Elsewhere James was feeling the frost on his brow as he prepared the last of his armour. He had gone through his weapons several times now, and found no flaws. The only thing he had done was added a little graphite to his bolter’s breech to ensure better movement. He loved his gun dearly. It had been a present from his Uncle, a sacred relic that had been passed through his family’s lines until it had reached him. The names of all his predecessors were engraved upon it. Starting from Rhine Grave the First to his deceased uncle, Black Ice the Second, it now was in his possession. The grips were worn and smooth, the casing scratched and dinged until names were obscured. Whoever possessed the bolter wore the honorary title, Ice Dragon of Rhine, within his family line. Its mouth was specially shaped into a screaming dragon. He put his scope on. The scope itself was molded in the shape of wings. Down the barrel he sighted. Down. Down. Long he looked away from himself. He exhaled. Taking note of his pulse, he fired when his hearts were not contracting. “Lock and Load.” James waded through the drifts to his target. He had sighted the arctic hare from just over a thousand feet away. He approached it and smiled ruefully from behind his helm. Out of his peripheral vision he glimpsed a creature in the shadows of pine trees. He turned and stared. An ice wyrm, one of the legends of old stood less than a pace away. James bowed his head in respect and left the hare where it was. A pulp of ragged flesh sitting inside a pine tree’s hollow. As he returned to camp he spotted his charge giving orders. He quickly hurried over to his squad-mates. “Stow your gear in the rhino, personal effects in your cube. Stand in formation. Embark.” James asked, “To what planet do we venture to, lord?” Josh never glanced at him. “To Aquila Major. It is a large asteroid with low atmosphere. The temperatures are near negative two-hundred degrees Celsius.” James grabbed his cube and moved into the ship. The conditions would be cold and lacking of oxygen. Perfect.

Caleb looked at his squad mates. Although they were brothers, few had made any attempt to communicate with him. There was Torque Ice Fist and Ice Brow the Vengeful. Aside from Tyrael he had not spoken to any others; and they had not made any attempts. That was fine with Caleb. He would prove his valor upon the battlefield. “Meine Ehre heist Treue” was inscribed upon his sheath. My honour demands loyalty. He was loyal to the emperor. He would fight his hardest and die with no remorse. He looked quizzically at terminator who seemed smaller than the rest. He had never noticed but the armour the soldier bore had a great likeness to that of Lord Alrekr. It had small dragons etched into the metal cowl. A scene of intense battles between dragons and men was unfolding. The dragon was a sign of courage, and to wear it meant that one or ones family had a powerful lineage. Caleb looked up as Tyrael stepped into the thunderhawk. “To glory and honour, or death and eternal slumber.” He said. Caleb felt his emotions rise, he began to feel his pulse quicken. The gentle noise of the hatch closing was replaced by a large whoosh as the plasma drives engaged. A faint clicking was indication of the ships weapons being turned online. Four huge bolters, one mounted ahead and below each wing. The main lights turned off and were replaced by a thin glow of pale silver light. The ship began to rock violently as it departed the earth. No remorse, save his love for his brother.

Josh drilled his squad daily on their basing area. It was a small area, roughly one hundred meters by fifty meters. They were just finishing as some assault troops walked past. “Halt.” Said Josh. The assault squad turned and stared. “Would you be willing to train with us?” The assault troopers looked at one another and then at their squad commander. “We would.” As the soldiers prepped their weapons and stretched, the two commanders began to converse. “I am Josh, newly appointed Warrior of this force.” The other soldier looked at him and clasped Josh’s outstretched arm in brotherly gesture. “I am Warrior Damascus. This is my assault squad.” Josh turned and faced James as he approached. “We are prepared lord.” “Excellent.” Said Josh. The other Warrior received a similar message from his second in command. “Shall we begin?” The Warriors took their sides as their soldiers began to tense. Josh couldn’t help but smile behind his helm. He was ready to lead his soldiers. After speaking to Zelotes he no feared to be given his command. He spoke into his head piece, “The assault squad will come off the start very aggressive. Take up a staggered position. Soldiers in the front drop back while firing while those behind provide covering fire. Ice Dragon of Rhine, find concealment and target at will.” The signal came as a regular man dropped a red cloth to the ground. The man immediately picked it up and ran behind cover. Although they were using inactivated close combat weapons and blank bolts, a regular man would not survive a strike. The assault squad came fast with six soldiers jetting down towards the front line. “Back!” cried Josh. Two of his men stood no chance as assault soldiers landed upon them, knocking them over with a great force while cutting them down. His plan had worked well though. The enemy had landed a fair distance away from the rest of his squad. The accuracy of their bolters took three of them down. The other remaining three jumped again, and began to rocket towards his men. As this was happening the four other assault soldiers landed upon his left flank. Three of his men were cut down instantly and one managed to dodge an attack and defeat his assailant. Realizing what was happening Josh shouted “Rally to me, rally to me!” Another soldier was defeated as his last men came to Josh. An assault soldier was cut down midflight, followed by another. Josh began to run towards the weaker group of enemies. With his remaining two men he cut that side of the assault down. Then the inevitable occurred. The last jump soldiers landed amongst them. His remaining men were struck down; Josh was saved due to his spear. A shot from the scaffolding rang as James struck another man. Outnumbered, Josh concentrated entirely on defense. One of the last assault soldiers jetted away, towards James. Josh was left alone facing a soldier wielding a morning star and thunder shield. Josh stabbed with his spear, his bolter swinging wildly upon its strap. The enemy parried with his shield and swung horizontally with his star. Josh backed up, trying to keep his distance that the enemy was pressing to close. He slashed with his spear at a downward angle and followed with another slash at the soldiers shins. The opponent merely gave a cold howl as he batted the spear out and rushed forward with his star. Josh took a step out to the left and back. He needed to finish this before the other soldier returned. Just then he felt a crushing blow land upon his back, knocking him to his feet. The star came down in a powerful wide arc and crashed with a jarring impact upon his helm. Then the opponent stepped over josh and was hit with a barrage of bolts. “Well done young Warrior, you have defeated my squad.” Josh felt slightly confused, more from what the other Warrior was saying than the wound he had taken. Turning around josh saw that James had jumped out of the scaffolds of the ship and taken the other assault soldier to the ground mid-flight. So the blow that had knocked him down was not the other soldier, but James and the other soldier falling on top of him. From there it was clear a vigorous hand to hand combat had taken place; with James being victorious upon unsheathing his knife. James had then looked up as Damascus had stuck Josh squarely upon his helm. James grabbed his bolter and shot a fast barrage at him which then claimed victory for Josh’s tactical squad. “Well done indeed.” Josh turned and nodded. “You are a most tenacious enemy. I was almost trapped into a corner. That was well executed.” Damascus took his helm off. “To rally your soldiers and attack the weaker side of my assault was a good tactic. But to place your soldier in the scaffolds; that was a technique I did not expect. I assumed the battle was to take place upon the ground.” Damascus gestured to the area around them. Josh took his helm off and replied, “Deception is one’s greatest assets in combat.” Damascus looked into his eyes and nodded approvingly. “Assault Squad IV, back to the training room. We will see who the victor is next time we clash.” Josh looked at his men and said “Indeed we will.” With that the assault soldiers left the room and Josh was left with his squad. “Well done.” He said. “However, we need to exercise greater caution when an aggressive enemy attacks. “

Within the ‘Forlorn Sound’ and ‘Icebreaker’ the Frozen soldiers assembled in the docking bays. The Forlorn was to head directly to Aquila Major while the Icebreaker headed towards Aquila Minor. Within each ship the Warriors, Knights, and Ancients received their objectives from the Archons. Seven squads were dedicated to three main objectives on Aquila Major. Team 1 was to take a mountain, to the side of which was a pass of vital importance. Team 2 was to reinforce a large mining colony. Team three was to defend the second major colony about fifty klicks away from Team 2’s objective. Only four squads were assigned to Aquila Minor. The two teams were to set up fire bases for planet hopping. In order to safely respond to Planet Telios distress call, small safeguards were to be put in place to ensure its survival. A squad of ancients, assault soldiers, and tactical soldiers were assigned to Aquila Major objective one. A squad of devastators and a tactical squad were each assigned to Aquila Major objective two and three. No resistance was expected from Aquila Minor, so the four remaining reserve squads were assigned to Aquila Major. There was a possibility of heavy support being drop podded; but no real words had been released of that. The Knights, Warriors, and Ancients all returned to their designated zones, feeling battle lust build inside their bodies. The Apostle Zelotes and his templars began to recite words of encouragement and protection as the soldiers chanted battle cries. The engraved images and runes upon their armour and weapons began to glow as the chants made their power evident. Any that wished had new seals and scripts placed upon their armour. It was time.

Pryme felt unease settle into his stomach as his men began to trickle into the colony. They had seen no sign of trouble. The large colonization had been in fact, perfect condition. There was no sign of flight or fight. What troubled him the most were that the colony’s gates were still closed, in order to get in the Devastor squad alongside his tactical squad had had to blow the gates open. Any hope of subtlety was gone, but it did not matter. As they approached the colony’s center he began to feel sick. “Take up defensive positions. NOW!” The men hurried to various spots within line of sight of each other. Something was wrong, very, very wrong. Where were all the people? Any enemy he knew would have long sprung their trap. He approached a digger and stepped back quickly. A large hole five meters around threatened to swallow him. He knelt by its edge and felt the soil. It was moist with a strange smelling substance. Most unusual of all were that edges were perfectly straight. He looked to his left at the digger. Was it a digger hole, and the fluid its lubricant? He did not think so. He engaged his com. “Take up defensive positions off ground level.” A moment later his second in command queried back “Affirm. Above ground level?” Pryme felt a subtle irritation build inside him, more due to the unease than the question. “That is correct. Above ground level.” His men began to approach the structures of the refineries and large housing complexes. Pryme himself Climbed into an overseers’ tower along with a devastator wielding a lascannon. Something was wrong, and he was not going to fail the emperor.

They landed with a great ‘whoomph’ as the thunderhawk’s claws crushed the ground below it. The forlorn ‘whumpa whumpa’ and small, abrupt vibrations were proof that the transports bolters were in use. Caleb and the rest of the ancients turned and faced the doorway. Tyrael was at the front, ready for combat with his great sword and stormbolter in his hands. “Prepare to disembark!” Caleb began to tense as he pulled his sword from its sheath and gripped his stormbolter tighter. Clicks and humms filled the room as they flicked safeties off and activated their power weapons. A red light appeared and the door blew open, crushing something with a sick pop. They ran out. As they exited the doors an acrid smell filled Caleb’s nostrils. It was foreign and not likeable. Totally alien, a sickly sweet scent that overpowered ones senses. “Engage!”Shouted Tyrael. A creature making strange gibbering clacks appeared from behind a rock. It jumped at Tyreal but he merely swatted it with his sword, the flat of his blade crushing it. They moved in unison as the enemy Began to appear from behind rocks and, further away, running down the mountain. As they ran towards the enemy they gave cold howls and chilly grunts. Caleb pulled upon his stormbolter’s trigger. ‘Chunka chunka chunka’ it went as its rounds blew through the enemy. A creature appeared just to Caleb’s left and he cleaved it in two with his phase blade. It’s arms continued to quiver as it tried even in death to kill him. On they ran, towards the mountains summit. The resistance was futile, and even before they had cleared the first swathe, the assault squad had already flown to the top of the mountain and was crushing the few enemies from behind. The lone tactical squad assigned to their objective followed in tow of the terminators. “Free movement.” Caleb immediately began to break off of the squad and swing his sword with zeal. His bolter spitting rage at the enemy, Caleb charged headlong at the last foe he saw. This creature was somewhat different, it’s maw was larger, and it began to hiss as he came at it. Suddenly, it spat violently at him; fast reactions were all that saved him as the creatures small projectile melted the ground it struck. Caleb shot one bolt into the creatures arm as it came at him, he then dropped his stormbolter. With his free hand Caleb grasped the creature by its neck and lifted it off its feet. Then he made as if to push the monster directly down while he brought his phase blade up. The result was twice the force being imparted to the creatures body. It ripped in half with a ‘squelch’ and its blood stained the feet around him. He dropped the creature and looked around. There were no other enemies in sight, but Caleb was well away from his squad-mates. He took off at a fast pace and came to the other Ancients as Tyrael began speaking. “This objective is secured. We are now to repair our equipment” Tyrael looked sharply at a terminator whose stormbolter was a destroyed mass. “And prepare to be transported to Telios.” Caleb nodded and began to clean his weapon. “Delay that order. It appears the enemy is counter attacking.” Caleb looked in the direction Tyrael was staring at. A fair distance away a large dust cloud was moving ominously fast towards them. “Distance?” “800 meters and closing at a rate of …thirteen meters a second.” Tyrael spoke again. “Pair up into two man teams. Tactical Squad III make a perimeter at the summit. Assault squad VIII, stay behind the pass and when they are attacked jet into the enemies midst. Ancients, make a wall at the pass.” Caleb turned and looked at the Ancients. Most had chosen a partner while Tyrael was talking. The only one without a partner was the small terminator with the dragon cowl. The small terminator, realizing no one else was left walked over to Caleb and said, “Come we need to get into position.” Caleb began to move with the Ancient. “What is your name?” The terminator ignored him. Caleb asked again. “What is your name?” Again the terminator ignored him. Finally, Caleb gripped the other terminators armour and said, “I refuse to die without knowing whom I fight alongside.” The other terminator halted. “Do not die then.” With that the terminator shrugged his hand off and strode the final few meters to the pass. Caleb reached the pass and looked down, the enemy had grown near enough to make out details. These creatures were similar to the others, but looked much larger and far more organized. “Intelligence, that is a bad sign my lord.” Tyrael turned and nodded. “Indeed it is.” He gestured to his partner, the terminator without a bolter. “Call for reinforcements. Two squads of tactical soldiers and any heavy support if possible.” The terminator tapped his helm and began to send his message. “Stand and fight. Remain strong. The emperor protects.” Caleb could now begin to see clearly the enemy. They had grey and brown mottled skin with armoured ridges upon their backs. Some creatures had four arms and others still had none. As the creatures moved up the mountain Caleb felt vibrations in his feet. He looked down briefly as a rock hit his leg, stopped, and continued to bounce down the mountain. Strange, what in the emperor’s name could cause such movement? Peering down the mountain he saw a monstrous creature pushing its way forward of the pack. Caleb then peered into the sky. Some small smudges appeared far away on the horizon. Whatever they were they were moving swiftly. “lord Tyrael, upon the horizon.” Tyrael glanced at the fast moving specks. He clenched his teeth in a angry snarl and said, “Air support.” The enemy now began to sweep around the mountains summit towards the pass. A few made to climb the mountaintop, but the tactical squad was killing any that attempted. It would not be long before the enemy would begin to fill up the container they had created; when that happened they would need to either fall back or risk being overrun. With that Caleb faced the first of the hordes now closing at fifty meters. “Fire!” Shouted Tyrael. Caleb’s stormbolter began its holy song as bolt after bolt sprayed towards the enemy. It took several moments for the enemy to cross this threshold, but all the while the bulk of the alien force began to build up there. Suddenly there was a great and mighty roar. The monstrous creature charged through the alien masses and moved in large, lumbering strides towards them. Its claws raked the earth as its spines produced a purple mist. Upon its shoulders were large scything talons. It speared a creature in its path and flicked it aside. The creature came closer while proclaiming its indignation at such puny things baring its path. In its yellow eyes there was a sign of intelligence, but nothing comprehensible to mankind. It took another step, the ground shook. It took another step; and its head was engulfed in a raging blue fireball. It tried to take another stop but another rocket hit its head. It crashed down while all the creatures behind it chittered and ran on towards them. The Knights tactic of placing a squad on a elevated axis was genius, for it allowed them not only to cover their movements, but also to funnel the enemy towards them. Several of the creatures came close to the line before being pummeled with bolts. It was almost time for close combat, thought Caleb with a grim smile. Even as he thought this he glanced incidentally at the tactical squad on the mount’s top. The enemy was near to them, it would not be long before the assault squad engaged. Suddenly the ground began to shake again. Confused, Caleb looked for another monstrous creature. A huge shadow loomed over him and the world whirled as something hit him from the side. He began to assume a crouching defensive position, and he saw it was the small terminator who had struck him. “Forgetting your vow?” The terminator said. Caleb looked to where he had been standing and saw a crater. He cut two enemies down while shooting his bolter. Looking for the craters origin, he saw that the large creature was back on its feet, half its face melted down to its bones. As he was looking at it the blackened flesh began to weave across the rueful face. The sight of it made Caleb wary, a creature that could regenerate that fast was going to be trouble. He stepped to his left as a four armed creature jumped at him. His sword simply held taut, the creature doing all of the work in cutting itself in half horizontally. The enemy had bunched up again and larger creatures were moving towards the ancients. A creature with two talons on its back and talons for its arms slashed at him. He parried one, blew another off, and was pierced at his thigh by a third. Caleb quickly chopped the creatures head off, and pulled its talon out of him. The distinct whine of jet packs made Caleb attack with more fury. He killed one creature, used its slumped body as a stair, and jumped at another while his bolter cleaved the creatures around him. A great ‘Rawrrrrrr’ emitted, and Caleb was all oblivious to the tactical squads danger. The flying creatures arrived, and seeing the enemy so exposed, swept down and carried several away. “The skies, look to the skies!” Shouted Tyrael. At that moment the monstrous creature broke the line of terminators. The task force, separated, began to concentrate all their fire on the air. Meanwhile the terminators strove to break the tightening nooses they were in. A crackling wreath of lightning flashed over the behemoth’s head. Then a huge blossom of plasma lit up the sky as three drop pods landed among the enemy, crushing many. Out streamed two tactical squads, guns blazing as they entered the fray. The third pod remained vacant of all movement. The remainder of the task force, reinforced and heartened, began to cut the enemy from the area around them. The new tactical squads joined together and made directly for the terminators. The monstrous creature, its opaque eyes blinking, realized defeat was imminent, turned and ripped the closest terminator in half. Before the thing could get to the next victim, it was sent flying. In its place stood a dreadnought, a huge machine with an entombed warrior inside it, the Frozen Soldiers gave them the title Immortals. Its mechanical eyes coldly scanned the battlefield while its power fist clenched and unclenched itself. The storm bolter on that arm began to rake the enemies with experienced proficiency while the plasma canon on the other arm burned large amounts of enemies. Immortal Brother Leviathan was engraved upon its armour. It strode forward three steps, and was pulled to the ground. The sarcophagus the warrior lay within was pierced by huge talons. Jerkily, sluggishly, the dreadnought stood, and turned to face its attacker; the creature howled in anger and it grabbed his left arm, shearing the plasma gun with its fangs. The powerfist crackled and swiftly grabbed the creatures head, and turned it into paste. With that last action, the bionic eyes lost their glow and the dreadnaughts torso sagged upon the legs. The battle over, Caleb went over to the dreadnaught and knelt. He looked at the name written and touched his head to the grown. Making the sign of the acquila Caleb turned away. He was surprised to see that all of the other soldiers had followed his example, and all were displaying reverence for the fallen giant. With the sun setting and the objective secured, Tyrael ordered all the soldiers to stack the slain enemies’ bodies into a wall. Looking gravely one last time at the Immortal, he turned and made to do his lord’s bidding. It would be night soon, and if what they had seen was any indication of battles to come, they would need to be wary.

Josh felt useless, sitting with his squad listening to a templar reading verses. He and his men had come to fight, not to wait inside a ship. They were reserve for the assault on Aquila major; he and his men felt a taint had been applied to their honour. Reserve. Pah! The Frozen Soldiers did not like to wait; they enjoyed warming their selves with their enemy’s blood. A huskarl came hurriedly into the room. He made the sign of the acquila and went directly over to Josh. “My lord, a message”. Josh took the chronpaper, popped off the red wax security device, and read it. Standing up he couldn’t help but hurriedly say “We are to join the battle, Tactical Squad VII”. His men jumped up and began to march away. “…and the emperor protects those who are faithful. He will not allow them to…” were the last words Josh heard as he walked out of the chapel.

Pryme stood quiet as he listened for any noise. They had been waiting an hour, and nothing had stirred or moved. The feeling of unease had not gone away, but instead had grown more prominent. He had felt so moved as to have his me fortify the buildings they were within. The soldiers had taken furniture and ripped walls down to more secure them. Looking around from the overseer’s tower, he could see several holes in the surrounding area, all like the first. What really reaffirmed his earlier decisions was the sight of a hole made through a ferrocrete cargo loading area. He looked quickly at the devastator near him. The man had propped his lascannon on the wall and was doing hand strengthening exercises. The man was large, but not overly so, he could only be around a three hundred years or so old. Helix giganticus. That was the name of the Frozen Soldiers gene-seed. It was not overly special as far as gene-seeds went. The gene-seed was nothing as interesting as the Space Wolves and certainly nothing as mundane as the Salamanders. The gene seed of the Frozen Soldiers was simply a hormone catalyst. It took their already existing pituitary glands and pressured them. The result was that a Frozen Soldier never stopped growing. It increased a bearer’s hemoglobin and platelets in their blood, allowing the bearer to perform physically far superior to other chapters. The adrenal gland grew in size and usually tripled on average. The soldier’s brain actually continued growth of brain cells, thus the bearer’s intelligence was within the eightieth percentile for all humans. If one meditated long enough one could open and close the adrenal gland secretion at will. There were soldiers who could jump over thirty feet when they wished to do so. Alas, the great blessing that they received was also their bane. Their gene seed had been slightly mutated by the warp and the Frozen Soldiers were barred from most inter-chapter meetings. They were eternal warriors, and occasionally a soldier would grow wings as a result of their mutation. A bearer never stopped growing, and eventually he would reach a maximum size and his bones and heart would fail. There had been several exceptionally rare cases of a giant with strong will and good luck reaching sizes of titans, but there were few cases of this, and it occurred only once every ten thousand years average. Untouchables they were called. And the name there were given rightly fit. They felt bolter fire as mere pricks, hardly noticeable, and a devastator missile only felt like a scratch. As a result of their size only three had ever left the planet. Looking back at the devastator, Pryme felt his guess was fairly accurate; the devastator looked no older at most than four hundred years old. There had been female members in the Frozen Soldiers, but this too was rare. Most were not capable of accepting the burden, the test, or the implantation. Those that did were respected. If a woman became a Frozen Soldier she was given reverence. This was a major deviation in the keeping of most chapters’ ideology. However, Lord Alrekr asked the several simple questions and won. “What if we cannot find adequate male recruits from our planet? Is restricting a whole half of humanity something that will benefit us? What if we miss something our female counterparts may have spotted and are slaughtered due to our error? Are third or fourth generation soldiers a bad thing?” Looking out on the colony, Pryme remembered leaving his family to take Frozen Soldiers mantle. His father and mother had been and still were Frozen Soldiers. He saw them rarely, but every time he did his mother would hug him and his father bless him. Most doctrines did not like the idea of familial lines in combat, but it mattered not to the Frozen Soldiers. The male children of strong and powerful lines were always chosen to undergo training. The bond of DNA was not as powerful as the bond to the Frozen Soldiers. Death or the Emperor’s beckon were the only time a child left, and they never stopped belonging to the Frozen Soldiers even then. Their bodies, minds, and spirits were the Frozen Soldiers, and when one life was extinguished, another life was made into something more. Suddenly a voice rang out in his head com, “I have movement”. Pryme instantly replied. “Where”? There was a moment lapse. “East-north-east of my position, one-oh-two klicks away; something stirred some dust.” Pryme felt his unease changing into a lust for battle. “Fire at will”. Pryme looked at the hole he had examined earlier, and saw a pebble fall in from the side. Pryme looked quizzically at a hole, he could swear he saw something. A talon fluidly touched the edge of the hole, followed by another and another. “Watch the holes”. Pryme continued to watch. The creatures head popped out of the ground, it licked the ground around the hole and suddenly straightened its head upright. It sniffed the air, and then looked directly at him. <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>! It knew where he was and was familiar with his scent. The creature let out a piercing screech, one that pained his ears, and slowly let it down. The creature then went back into the tunnel and Pryme began to hear the tell-tale signs of digging. “It’s trying to get below us”. The devastator merely nodded and went back to scanning. Suddenly the entire tower shifted to the left, then began to twist as it plummeted to the ground. The last thing Pryme remembered was the devastator shouting in surprise as the ground rushed to meet him.

James blocked all of the external noises out. He shut his senses off and began to meditate. He silently quoted scripture and focused on calming his soul. He continued to grow more detached and began to slip from his body. He was above his body, his soul hovering silently, a guardian of his physical form. James then concentrated all of his will upon a distant target. He opened his eyes and took aim. The creature he was aiming at continued to run uphill, it was obviously of higher social structure than the other creatures around him. It had two talons upon its back, an appendage that shot fragments of poisoned bone, and a great claw. There had been several deviations of its type, but it was indeed of higher intelligence and worth than the others around it. He exhaled, waiting for his heart to still. The typical four armed creatures with psychic abilities and smaller creatures with clawed hands and a small bone spitter. He pulled the trigger and the creatures head fragmented into a mist of ichors and shards.His squad had been sent to Aquila Major to reinforce the small colony. They had reinforced the tactical and devastator at objective three. The men there had been hard pressed. They had been forced to take shelter as the aliens bombarded them with small explosive creatures. Tyranids was the name they had been give; they had been spotted on the outer fringes of the galaxy in several locations. Not much was known about the aliens except that they consumed entire civilizations. A forlorn boom sounded and James knew the bombardment was soon to start again. He was tired of waiting to protect the mining colony, which had been fairly empty of people. There had been a few survivors before they arrived, but most of those had died subsequently after the first assault. James had been standing next to one when a Tyranids artillery squid thing came directly on top of them. James armour and the civi meat shield had held off the acid, but the survivor was left a charcoaling black mass on the ground. Looking to his right he saw a hole where the body had been; need to keep that in my memory he thought. Avoid the boomies, and use the civis as meat shields. He began to crawl back to his squad warrior. “lord, don’t know how much longer we can hold this position”. Josh looked coldly at him, “We will hold this position. We will not fail to hold this objective”. James shrugged, “I understand my lord but our resources are limited. The enemy is amassing again and we have taken heavy losses. Josh squished his brows in concentration, “We WILL hold”. James bowed his head. Why did his new charge have to be so stubborn? He was not certain that Josh was able to accept his command, but he was resigned to his will. Josh called to him and said “Call command, we need more reinforcements”. “There are no reinforcements left for this objective my lord”. Josh asked “Where are our nearest allies”? James replied “They are at the other colony, and they can spare no men”. “You are sure we cannot hold” asked Josh? “I am certain that within the next or second to next assault we will be overrun. This objective is doomed”. Josh silently stared into the cold sky and pondered the Emperor’s will.

Niz’la’shaz crept along the dark side of the rock. Fresh, warm and sweet food was nearby. He felt the weight of the great eye looking out through him. It urged him to rush in and consume all that was there. He growled and several hormagaunts came over. He growled again and they sniffed the air, instantly they moved to appease the eye. The consumer was hungry, and he would not wait. Screeching, the hormagaunts began to rally the termagaunts. They were all hungry, but none as hungry as the Great One. They began to run, jostling for position to be first to the meat. A weight came upon him and Niz’la’shaz slowed his pace. A termagaunt, unable to slow or veer due to the sheer volume of brood, ran into him. Without hesitation, Niz’la’shaz slashed the creature’s neck and swallowed its head. He slavered over the creature’s body, while little rippers scuttled under his feet. Nearing the end of the pack, Niz’la’shaz felt the eye look out and tell him to go feast. Growling, he ran into the nearest building and jumped upon a spooked creature. He bit deep, and tasted nothing, felt no blood, and heard no shrieks. Confused, he looked at the creature. It was dead; he sniffed at it and growled angrily. Suddenly its eyes blinked. The great consumer told him to flee, run and run until he was far away. Niz’la’shaz blinked, turned to obey, and was no more.

Hmm...

I haven't had time to read through the entire bulk, but it seems very well written from what I see.

One thing though; I suggest you indent your paragraphs (probably not possible with the forum server) and create a new line for each line of dialogue.

• 1 month later...

It looks good from a narrative point of view.

But you really need to sort the formatting. Instead of indenting each paragraph (I presume your using word, or openoffice) hit enter at the end of the line, this means it looks nice on the board. Aside from that, make your posts shorter.

Only got to the bit where Caleb sees his new armour but I'd just like to query - admittance to the first company only dependand on being a firstborn? And recruits turning up with phase swords that are family heirlooms and keeping them all the way through? Eh???

• 1 month later...
Being a firstborn is a requirement for wearing the TDA. If you are a firstborn of exceptional skill and ability, then you are granted the privelage. The power sword is a family heirloom passed down from generation to generation, much like the vostroyans. As such, some blades are ancient relics more valuable to a chapter and the bearer of its honour than the bearer itself. Not saying that the individual doesnt matter, but its the same with venerated artificier armour and such for many other chapters. The power swords are the same for TDA and regular power armour, the strength difference is from the oomph' of the TDA servos.

Archived