Homebrew rules for a "dark apostle"

shadowman-x

Alright, giving this another shot without being stupendously overpowered...

Dark apostle - 175 pts

WS:5 BS:5 S:4 T:4 W:3 I:5 A:4 LD:10 Sv:3+/4+

Equipment:Dark Croizius, Cursed rosarius, power armor, bolter, bolt pistol.

Dark Croizius: Power weapon that re-rolls to hit in CC

Cursed Rosarius: Grants the dark apostle the "Fearless" and "Eternal warrior" abilities, and confers a 4+ invulnerable save.

May replace bolt pistol with plasma pistol

15 points

combi weapon 10 points

May upgrade Dark Croizius to Accursed Artifact for +40 points

Accursed artifact: Daemon weapon, +1str and may re-roll to hit in CC

The Dark apostle may also choose one of the following:

Jump pack/wings for 20 points

Bike for 20 points

Daemonic steed (Counts as cavalry, +1 attack and +1 wound) for 45 points

The dark apostle may choose one of the following litanies, to be declared at the start of the battle and in effect the whole time.

Litany of hatred: 45 points, The Dark Apostle and any squad the Dark Apostle joins may re-roll to wound on the charge.

Litany of Fear : 30 points, Any squad in assault with the Dark Apostle or a squad with a Dark Apostle attatched must make a leadership save or lose 1 ws while in assault. The opposing squad may retry this leadership test each chaos player turn.

Litany of Fury: 50 points, The Dark Apostle and any squad the Dark Apostle joins gains the "furious charge" special rule.

Word Bearers are supposed to worship Chaos as a pantheon and not show preference for any one god so the various marks and god specific spells don't make sense. Also, he is far better than a regular Chaos Lord and therefore isn't balanced as there should be no unit that is so blatantly better than another in the same category (although there are in this codex, but that's part of what makes some of us so mad).

As much as i appreciate your attempts, this is all blatantly overpowered and good deal of it makes no sense fluff wise.

Well that's kind of why I was hoping for some suggestions and stuff like that. Also, I don't see how TOO much of it is overpowered. I mean, for it to be REALLY useful it'd cost over 250 points (as much as abaddon who does a helluvalot) and also is a massive firemagnet. It's just homebrew rules so hopefully I can kind of even it out...also, what doesn't make as much sense fluff-wise? Just curious, I wanna make the most fluff-accurate, balanced rules as possible.

*edit*

Okay this post does seem somewhat asanine.

Judge away, critical comments etc etc. Any help balancing it would be massively appreciated.

Uh, no. Just give him the Spear and for 190 points you have a monster with high weapon skill a 2+/4+ save, 5 attacks base, high weapon skill, and the free choice of litanies that cause both him and whatever you attach to him to get incredible bonuses like extra attacks, rerolls, or initiative, and he can actually pick which one to use each turn. Heck, depending on what unit you stick him in that could actually be better than Abaddon and for less points.

Drop the god specific stuff, make his weapon backfire like the regular demon weapon or make it weaker, and make him have to pick one litany at the beginning of the game and have to keep that for the rest of the game. Guess it doesn't matter in the end though as I doubt anyone would let you use him.

DA's worship chaos in it's undivided glory, so marks of the gods very unfluffy.

Trying to read all that other stuff made me kinda dizzy.

ease up on the red bull or red line, whatever it is you are chugging by the case ;)

I think most WB's players would dance a jig just to have the DA of C:csm 3.5

Is it so wrong to wish for variety? For what we used to be able to do with our delishis old PAGE of wargear and daemonic gifts?

Ah, but times have changed I suppose and I must move on. Still, I weep for the time of the dreadaxe daemon prince and the khorne dread-tank.

I'll shorten it down and make it less retarded. Mmmmmmmkay?

*sob*

There, fixed it.

Dark apostle - 175 pts

Stats are fine, although 4 base attacks is a bit much, 3 might be better.

Fine.
Remove the reroll to hit bit and it will be balanced.
Cursed Rosarius: Grants the dark apostle the "Fearless" and "Eternal warrior" abilities, and confers a 4+ invulnerable save.
Remove Eternal Warrior, it is the providence of some special characters and daemon princes, not 'mere mortals'.

May replace bolt pistol with plasma pistol

15 points

combi weapon 10 points

Fine.

An undivided Daemon weapon would be better, but make it reliable by replacing "may re-roll to hit in CC" with May reroll the die for the number of attacks if it comes up as 1, once per player turn.

Bike for 20 points

Where's the option for Terminator Armour?

The dark apostle may choose one of the following litanies, to be declared at the start of the battle and in effect the whole time.

Litany of hatred: 45 points, The Dark Apostle and any squad the Dark Apostle joins may re-roll to wound on the charge.

Too overpowered.

Litany of Fear : 30 points, Any squad in assault with the Dark Apostle or a squad with a Dark Apostle attatched must make a leadership save or lose 1 ws while in assault. The opposing squad may retry this leadership test each chaos player turn.
fine but rolling for it in each turn slows the game down unnecessarily.
Litany of Fury: 50 points, The Dark Apostle and any squad the Dark Apostle joins gains the "furious charge" special rule.
Costly, but decent if you stick him in a large unit.

My 2 Kraks

Dark apostle - 175 pts

I think the normal stats of a Chaos Lord are fine for this. After all the Dark Apostle is supposed to be not only the most faithful but also the most powerful warrior in the Host.

With Nihm here, EW is a bit to much. Re-roll to hit is a bit over the top as well. No Personal Icon? Also as the DA is a Chaos Lord anyway shouldn't he have Fearless base? Finally, although it might be a minor nitpick, the Rosarius wasn't invented until after the Heresy and it's traditionally something given out by the Priesthood of Earth which was created after the Heresy as well. And as such there would be no Rosarius' for the Word Bearers to have. And I find it odd for every single Dark Apostle to be carrying one of them they then would have had to steal or loot from a killed Chaplain or other high-status profile within the Priesthood. :huh:

What does the "Daemon Weapon" do? Same as in the Chaos Codex? :P (Just pulling your leg here, might be good to actually say it out clear and not leave it to be guessed)

Bike for 20 points

Same as Nihm, where's the Terminator Armour? Also, Melta-bombs?

With Nihm on these, some of the overly powerful. Where's the characteristic Demagogue tho?

All from me.

TDA

Dark Apostle via K.I.S.S. doctrine:

DARK APOSTLE cost: 125 points

WS 6, BS 5, S 4, T 4, W 3, I 5, A 3, Ld 10, Sv 3+

Wargear: Power Armour, Bolt Pistol, Accursed Crocius, Personal Icon, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades

Special Rules: Fearless, Independent Character

Accursed Crozius: The accursed Crozius can be used in close combat as a power weapon. It also grants the Dark Apostle a 4+ Invulnerable Save.

Options:

- May replace bolt pistol with a plasma pistol for 15 points.

- May take one of the following: Twin-linked bolter for 5 pts, Combi-weapon for 10 pts

- May take Melta Bombs for 5 pts

- May take one of the following: Jump Pack/Wings for 20 pts, Bike for 30 pts, Daemonic Steed (+1 attack, jump infantry) for 30 pts

May instead replace Wargear with Terminator Armour, twin-linked bolter, accursed crozius, Personal Icon for 15 pts.

- May replace twin-linked bolter with a combi-weapon for 5 pts

The beauty of that is that it is 100% tournament legal.

Archived