transport vehicles and 'Dawn of War'

Shiodome

Hey. Just checking something really.

Yesterday i played a game, Marines vs Orks, with the 'Dawn of war' deployment rules. After objectives had been placed, and the roll off for first turn done we started deploying and for His HQ and 2 troops he put down a warboss + nobs unit in a battlewagon, plus 2 boys mobs in trucks. I queried whether the battlewagon could be deployed as it was from the heavy support section (not HQ/troops) and not a dedicated transport, even though normally the mob could start the game inside the vehicle.

We amicably agreed that the warboss could either start in the vehicle, but must come on in the first turn with the reserves (as per the dawn of war reserves rule), or he'd have to start on foot and be deployed, with his battlewagon coming on seperatley. But i felt bad asking him to do this as he had a nice themed speed freaks army, with no models on foot... and this kind of ruined the look of things and messed up his fluff. Was this interpreation right, or was i wrong to ask him to deploy them seperatley.

Secondly; looking through the transport rules later it doesn't really state clearly whether a unit is allowed to start the game inside a non-dedicated transport at all? It states what a transport can and cannot carry, but not whether a transport bought as a seperate unit (one choice on the FOC) may start the game carrying another sperate unti (one choice on FOC). I don't use landraiders myself, the main place this'd apply to marines, so never thought about it before. Is there something i missed that allows this, or should the WAR crowd start pondering whether their terminators need to start the game on foot?

(not a WAR kinda guy myself, prefer common sense where possible... but i'd like to have something to point to should a WAR guy take issue with something).

Right. I'll try and keep this nice and short.

1) You were right to ask him to do that. It sux for mechanized armies but tough, everyone else has to do it. He should have deployed up to 1 HQ (NO transport), and up to 2 Troops (one unit in a transport or two empty transports [ :P] or two foot sloggin' squads).

2) A dedicated transport can ONLY start the game with the unit it was assigned to or empty. It can have a squad enter it in the first turn though like thus: Rhino 1 Come on > Tac 1 come on and board. The Rhino cannot move any further during that turn but it can move as normal the next turn.

That's how I've been interpreting it. Any other thoughts guys? :D

1 is right. it's an interesting scenatrio, tactically, for all but deamons or other all deepstrike lists.

non-dedicated transports (land raiders, battlewagons, falcons, etc..) can start with whatever squad fits in them or empty - mission rules being met (can't start on table in Dawn of war deployment, etc...)

dedicated trans may deploy only with their own squad + attached characters as permitted by mission and IC rules and passenger cap, or alone without passengers.

ICs may always begin game, come in at deepstrike (on the same roll), etc.. attached to unit, and embarked upon whatever vehicle they start in / enter in game.

and remember: whole units, combat squads, ded trans, and ICs (attached or not) all count as 1 unit of the appropriate type for just about every in-game purpose.

Hey. Just checking something really.

Yesterday i played a game, Marines vs Orks, with the 'Dawn of war' deployment rules. After objectives had been placed, and the roll off for first turn done we started deploying and for His HQ and 2 troops he put down a warboss + nobs unit in a battlewagon, plus 2 boys mobs in trucks. I queried whether the battlewagon could be deployed as it was from the heavy support section (not HQ/troops) and not a dedicated transport, even though normally the mob could start the game inside the vehicle.

We amicably agreed that the warboss could either start in the vehicle, but must come on in the first turn with the reserves (as per the dawn of war reserves rule), or he'd have to start on foot and be deployed, with his battlewagon coming on seperatley. But i felt bad asking him to do this as he had a nice themed speed freaks army, with no models on foot... and this kind of ruined the look of things and messed up his fluff. Was this interpreation right, or was i wrong to ask him to deploy them seperatley.

Secondly; looking through the transport rules later it doesn't really state clearly whether a unit is allowed to start the game inside a non-dedicated transport at all? It states what a transport can and cannot carry, but not whether a transport bought as a seperate unit (one choice on the FOC) may start the game carrying another sperate unti (one choice on FOC). I don't use landraiders myself, the main place this'd apply to marines, so never thought about it before. Is there something i missed that allows this, or should the WAR crowd start pondering whether their terminators need to start the game on foot?

(not a WAR kinda guy myself, prefer common sense where possible... but i'd like to have something to point to should a WAR guy take issue with something).

Actually your opponent really messed up the DoW rules. He is only allowed to place a max of 3 units and he tried to place 7!

For HQ he can put down the nobs OR the warboss as I don't believe the nobs count as a retinue. (I don't have the ork codex so I cannot confirm this, but I am 99% sure). Each boys unit is a seperate unit and their trukks (if they are dedicated transprots) count as 1 unit each. So he could place 2 units of boys, 2 dedicated (but empty) trukks or one unit of boys in or out of their trukk.

If your opponent wanted everyone mounted in a transport then the only unit he could deploy is one boys unit in a trukk. If there was room the warboss could join that unit, too.

For clarification of all this read the example on pg 93 under the picture

The mission rules tell you more about where you can deploy. So yes, you can deploy into a transport vehicle. Dedicated transports may only start with the unit they are attached to inside (plus any ICs). But once the game starts they can carry anyone.

Archived