Land Speeder Deepstriking, at what speed?

Ironjens

I have a question regarding deepstriking with land speeders. In the errata/FAQ for the old codex it said that a deepstriking landspeeder counts as having moved 18". As this apparently was a quite regular source for strife during tournaments and similar gaming events I would have thought that they'd write it in the new codex. Or maybe I'm just not finding it.

I have been using a Forgeworld Land Speeder Tempest before and since it's a fragile gunboat I haven't been deepstriking it because I wanted to use the guns at least once per game... But with the new Land Speeder Storm I'm more and more thinking of deepstriking it. Since it's open topped the poor scouts inside can jump out and assault immediately if I manage to deepstrike close enough...

Writing this I realize it would probably be more beneficial to put it in reserves and then have it run 24" inches (being a fast skimmer) onto the board, disgorging its passengers...

Still, anybody know what speed a deepstriking land speeder has travelled? A normal deepstriking unit counts as "having moved". How much?

Thanks for the help/ Ironjens

A deepstriking vehicle counts as moving at cruising speed (see page 95). This means they can fire one main and all defensive weapons (so one main then for a landspeeder).

One thing to get over is the idea that vehicle activities are governed by actual distance moved. This may still be the case in some codex specific situations, but general rules these days use speed ratings. In may cases, this will be the same thing, though some situations will increase movement without increasing speed.

By the way, to move 24" would make it "flat out", which explicitly forbids disembarking.

Ah, so it doesn't matter that it's open topped?

I was thinking of using my oh so cool but not very useful shotgun scouts anyway, so just popping out and firing away will work nicely :)

Thanks for the input. I should probably just read the rulebook more thoroughly in the future, cheers!

One thing to get over is the idea that vehicle activities are governed by actual distance moved. This may still be the case in some codex specific situations, but general rules these days use speed ratings. In may cases, this will be the same thing, though some situations will increase movement without increasing speed.

Not completely true. Speed (Combat, cruising, flat out) is determined by actual distance traveled unless there is an exception such as under the rules for deepstriking vehicles.

Not completely true. Speed (Combat, cruising, flat out) is determined by actual distance traveled unless there is an exception such as under the rules for deepstriking vehicles.

That is my point. It usually works out the same anyway, unless there is an exception. For example, cruising speed is up to 12" and flat out up to 18", unless you have a ground vehicle on a road, in which case 18" is cruising speed. This means that, when a rule says you may do X a speed Y, it is not necessarilly a fixed distance to qualify as speed Y.

The vast majority of cases it will not matter, but still worth remembering for when those exceptions do pop up.

Yes, it is. The rules for the pod, at least in tne new codex, explicitly state that it is open topped.

The 3+ save not equalling open topped thing only applied to fire points on a few transport vehicles, such as Rhinos, and is not even mentioned in most/all marine codices. It certainly does not appear in the BRB, but will still apply to codices it is mentioned in (WH and DH I think). Even in those that do have it, it certainly has no bearing on (dis)embarkation, only shooting at the vehicle.

Archived