Chapter Masters and... Weapons!

Espada Azul

Been browsing my brand-spanking new Codex, and I was wondering about the entry for the Chapter Master. As I was in the process of converting my Chapter Master rules-wise for the new edition, I'm finding ways of turning the 'Oxtongue Launcher' he uses (which is more or less just a glorified psycannon) tabletop legal for small games. In a previous discussion, I settled on a combi-melta with Hellfire rounds, but then I noticed that the Chapter Master can ALSO take an Auxilliary Grenade Launcher. The thing is, it's not really clear whether it replaces a weapon entry or not, in the same way as, say, the plasma pistol replaces the bolter in his profile.

If I take an Auxilliary Grenade Launcher, will this take away the 'slot' nominally reserved for two-handed ranged weaponry like the bolter?

Understandibly, I'm not really sure now if I can get away with saying that the Oxtongue counts as the combi-melta AND auxilliary grenade launcher (representing it's varying 'modes' of fire)... And, oh my, does the background section of my DIY entry in the Librarium need updating...

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm still getting used to the fact that we no longer seem to have a 100-point limit to weaponry and wargear we could squeeze on our Independent Characters... Oh yes, B-Mode, E-Mode? So very yes...

No, it doesn't take any slot at all. You can fire it in addition to your Combi-Melta, too. That means when you're attacking a vehicle, you could use a melta-blast and a krak round in the same turn - surely devastating enough to satisfy? :)

Exsqueeze me? Since when have you been able to fire two weapons in the same turn?

No, it doesn't take any slot at all. You can fire it in addition to your Combi-Melta, too. That means when you're attacking a vehicle, you could use a melta-blast and a krak round in the same turn - surely devastating enough to satisfy? :)

Exsqueeze me? Since when have you been able to fire two weapons in the same turn?

Since Page 98 of the new Space Marine Codex?

'An auxiliary grenade launcher can be fired in addition to another weapon. Each time the Auxiliary Grenade Launcher fires, the controlling player can choose which type of grenade is being used.'

Yeah, Chaos and Eldar, and possibly a few other Armies had their time in the Cheesy spotlight.

It's the Space Marines turn!

*points at Space Marine Codex*

-This is where all the overpoweredness 3.5 Chaos went

-Relic Blades are actually the Str6 Power Swords, that GW stole from the DARK ANGELS

-The New codex is made to deal with Space Marine's biggest and greatest problem, the problem to deal with horde armies, the new codex rectifies that very well. Look at the Thundercannon, if that doesn't scream Anti-Horde, I don't know what does

-It is the Eldar and Chaos who will cry cheese for once -_- AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS

Actually, it's pretty amusing just how EXPENSIVE the 'generic' Chapter Master can be, compared to some of the SCs. Tooled up, Chapter Master Eugenio Burgos actually weighs in (with the new Codex that is) at around 215 points! Yikes. In 4th Edition, even with his house-ruled special weapon, he didn't even break 190.

Yeah, Chaos and Eldar, and possibly a few other Armies had their time in the Cheesy spotlight.

It's the Space Marines turn!

*points at Space Marine Codex*

-This is where all the overpoweredness 3.5 Chaos went

-Relic Blades are actually the Str6 Power Swords, that GW stole from the DARK ANGELS

-The New codex is made to deal with Space Marine's biggest and greatest problem, the problem to deal with horde armies, the new codex rectifies that very well. Look at the Thundercannon, if that doesn't scream Anti-Horde, I don't know what does

-It is the Eldar and Chaos who will cry cheese for once :) AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS

It will most certainly be glorious!!!! praise be to him on earth!!!!!!!!! :D

Actually, it's pretty amusing just how EXPENSIVE the 'generic' Chapter Master can be, compared to some of the SCs. Tooled up, Chapter Master Eugenio Burgos actually weighs in (with the new Codex that is) at around 215 points! Yikes. In 4th Edition, even with his house-ruled special weapon, he didn't even break 190.

Combi-melta w/Hellfire and Auxiliary Launcher seems like a pretty good 'counts as' setup to represent the oxtongue. You do have to be careful about loading up the new chapter masters with too much stuff though. I've already seen people talking about fielding a tooled up master w/honor guard, and the number of points invested into those few models just make me long for a Vindicator, full unit of Wraithguard, or functioning plasma blastgun... :)

Wow congrats Fogstaff.

Not only do you ignore my warning, your the FIRST person to post after me so it means you must have intentionaly ignored what was said.

Thanks to Fog this topic is now closed.

Archived