Typhus

Kobrakei

So after using Midian's technique of painting his plaguebearers, I decided to have a crack at Ol' Papa Plague himself

C+C welcome!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/burnthecitydown/DSCN1477.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/burnthecitydown/DSCN1476.jpg

Enjoy!

Kobrakei

... honestly if you want C&C here it is:

1. Could use more paint. half of the metal parts are just painted green (or brown... i'm colour deficient)

2. The previous 2 posters are obviously new and don't recognize drybrushing.

3. While it's a good start, it should probably be moved ino the WIP section.

*sorry if i was too rough*

... honestly if you want C&C here it is:

1. Could use more paint. half of the metal parts are just painted green (or brown... i'm colour deficient)

2. The previous 2 posters are obviously new and don't recognize drybrushing.

3. While it's a good start, it should probably be moved ino the WIP section.

*sorry if i was too rough*

Depends on the look he's going for. IMHO I think drybrushing looks better than slopping too-thick paint onto a model tabletop wise, but you're right.

What is with the teal on his scythe though? It looks kinda out of place.

Hmmmm though not beeing "obviously new" to hobby myself, I'm not certain that drybrushing was used (except maybe the chainmail and I 'm not that sure)... The method used looks more like highlights and a final wash (most probably the new ones) on a plain colour... Now, talking about drybrushing, its a technique that helps and I use it very often on my minis (though re-worked with inks and everything). There is quite a deal of painters I admire that start a mini this way.

The work is decent. The benefit from washes is that it comes into place the right way and seems natural but problem with washes is that they have no thickness at all and stay transparent even in supposedly dark recesses. I'd recommand re-working dark places with a thin pencil and a mix of that wash and a darker tone to work out deeper contrasts...

DS

Very nice Kobrakei, looks like the technique worked for you. The armour looks quite pale in places under all the washes, did you use a heavy layer of rotting flesh?

Great looking Typhus.

Where can i get Midian's technique of painting his plaguebearers.

You could always ask him?

1. Undercoat of Chaos Black spray

2. Basecoat the entire figure with Gretchin Green Foundation Paint

3. Drybrush of Rotten Flesh

4. Paint small details like worms and Nurglings with Tanned flesh

5. Highlight the Tanned Flesh areas with Dwarf Flesh

6. Paint, teeth and claws with Bleached Bone

7. Paint metal with Bolt Gun Metal

8. Paint any woden areas with Khemri Brown Foundation Paint

9. Devil Mud wash the entire model

10. Once the previous wash is dry, give the model a second wash but of Gryphonne Sepia this time.

11. Wash any open wounds/bloody areas with baal red wash.

The previous 2 posters are obviously new and don't recognize drybrushing.

So whats actually wrong with the dry-brushing in my method Demenhoth?

Kobrakei followed the recipie to the letter and it came out great. Any marks caused by dry-brushing add to the effect on Typhus armour rather than take away from it.

As an example, one of my plaguebearers painted in exactly the same scheme. Only difference is that Kobrakei used a heavier layer of rotting flesh. I can't really see anything wrong with either.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Nurgle/Daemons/007.jpg

If your going to say such wonderful things as what i've quoted, be prepared to back up your points.

I agree, that is a very nicely painted model, and one the OP should be very happy with, a certain post with thinly veiled comtempt sould be ignored from this thread as it is inappropiate and if the poster of said thread truely believe what he says then I would have to ask him how many Golden Deamons he has won... (im guessing 0), not everyone has the luxery opf being so obsessive over tiny little details, being a perfectionist...

The better painters on this forum are not so great bacuse of their skills (which are actually of quite a high level) but because they know when to stop, put down the paint brush and say the model is finished.

When asking for crtique on your work you have to be gracious and accept both the good and the bad.

- Those that paint worse, will say that the model is good and ask how it was done.

-Those that paint better will tell you what´s wrong, and hopefully give some pointers on how to make it better.

Both things should be appreciated. Praise is always nice, but getting advice on how to improve should also be thanked.

Now about drybrushing it can´t be argued that it is in almost every way substandard paintingwise compared to blending feathering and layering, BUT it has the advantage of being a lot faster. Because of this it lends itself very well to speedpainting and bulk painting - and as a help to a more inexperienced painter, because it gives a somewhat convincing effect of depth.

SO IF you use it and ask for critique on your work be prepared to get the critique from the more "hard-core" painters that drybrushing should be avoided.

THEN you can argue with yourself what the most important thing for you is: speed or artistic impression, and THEN on the basis of that decide whether or not to use it.

What people shouldn´t do when posting work is get mad because people point out what the percieve to be flaws - that should be the very reason the work was posted.

note: I know it isn´t the OP that´s unhappy with the drybrush remarks, but my point still stands.

I agree with what your saying slah, but there is absolutly nothing wrong with dry-brushing when its applied in the right way on the right kind of figure.

It works on Typhus due to the element of perceived texture on the armour, but wouldn't work on for example, Calgar.

Any decent painter, no matter what, would see dry-brushing as another tool. Fair enough, a tool thats generally messy but a tool with a job none the less. It just pisses me off when people knock something like drybrushing because they think theres no skill involved.

There is a great deal of skill involved with drybrushing....

True anyone can wipe a bit of pain of of a brush and drag it over the surface... but it takes skill to know just how much paint you need to clear off, and how much pressure to use on the brush, also what kind of stroke to use to get the desired result.

There is a great deal of skill involved with drybrushing....

True anyone can wipe a bit of pain of of a brush and drag it over the surface... but it takes skill to know just how much paint you need to clear off, and how much pressure to use on the brush, also what kind of stroke to use to get the desired result.

You beat me to it. it took me over a year to figure out how and when to drybrush corectaly.

The shaft, it looks a little patchy, near the hand grip etc - it kinda looks as the brown was cut short.... brown|black

model looks good other wise but I do have one question.

whats wrong with dry brushing? - took me ages to get it right.... I thougth I was dry brushing to start with but really i was just over brushing!... silly me!

Hey guys

Wow...a lot of great comments on here. In response to the drybrushing vs painting debate...I think both have their uses, however, I was looking for something quick and easy to do to get this to merely tabletop, and Midian's technique was perfect for the task. However, if I was thinking of a higher level then tabletop, i would deffo have gone the painting route, and spent a lot more time and effort on the details...but good arguments for both sides :P

Funnily enough the actual model is much darker in real life, the flash on my camera having washed out the colours. I personally feel it looks a lot better irl, but as my batteries are dead at the moment, and it's late at night, I'll have to try tomorrow to get better photos up.

And I'm always looking for critisism! It's the only way to improve really!

Kobrakei

• 3 weeks later...

re: the scythe

i find it a really good technique to apply some of the main colour to all of the areas on the model as it helps tie the whole piece together but i do think the green glaze should have been thinner, give it more of a tinge it the recesses as opposed to making it look like green metal.

For three hours though it is a mightily impressive paint job, i really like it.

Just think typhus should be slightly darker in my opinion, as anyone whos seen my version can attest to. Still on the whole i think it looks awesome.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with drybrushing providing you do it well, and from the looks of it youve done a good job. the armour on my thyphus is almost entirely painted with washes, inks and drybrushing but it looks awesome and fits the feel of the model (im my humble and unbiased opinion anyway, although feel free to disagree).

Andy

i don't know i think the scythe actually fits the model, at the end of the day its Typhus i really could see his manreaper covered in plagues and toxins, still great job and its very impressive to have that painted in 3 hours that would take me about a weekend to finish properly, i disagree with some of the views some people put in this thread i have to say great job you should feel very proud of it

• 2 months later...
my only comment is I see a mold line on the bottom of the shaft just below the hand, I have problems with mold lines myself and don't notice untill someone points it out to me

Ah great, thats all I see now... mould line aside wickid sick model.

Archived