Iron Love

OnlyInDeath

Ok, so I just picked up the new SM codex today, and I gotta say, there's some parts that I love what it does for us, some parts not so much. Gotta say, 275 pt LRC's doesnt make me happy. But, more than anything, I love the Ironclad. Here's my plan for the future

The basis for this would be large games, most likely apoc, with a very close drop in mind.

Ironclad Dread:

heavy flamer, Seismic hammer/heavy flamer, assault launchers

165 pts

2 Dreadnaughts

Twin linked heavy flamers, heavy flamers, extra armor

130 pts each

3 Drop pods w/ deathwind missile launchers

55 pts each

Can you imagine coming down around a green tide with this formation. You are talking 6 heavy flamer templates, 2 of those twin linked, plus 3 str 5 large blast templates. This formation would be perfect against any large infantry groups or for routing out those dug in enemies, and I really cant wait to model up some appropriate dreads...though unfortunately that would take me to 7 of 'em lol. SO yeah, that's just one of my new hearthrobs outta the new dex. Anything else floating other people's boats?

Overall, I think the new codex is an improvement. Cant say anything jumps out at me, though a Vindicator with our "Special Iron Priest" will be featured in a future game.

Dreads in general look good. Working on a list with almost all pods, lots of troops, terminators, and dreads...

I just love the new Drop Pods myself....I want to make a pretty much all Drop Pod Assault army now =P Drop right on top of the enemy army and get into CC and just kick butt all over the place....hand to hand where a Wolf's strength is tested and shown superior!

I would have to say that I fall more to the side of a shooting line of dreds.

Ven Dred HQ TWLC and ML

1 Dred TL Auto Cannon / TL Auto Cannon

1 Dred Plasma Cannon / Assult Cannon

Nothing would be able to get close to these guys.

Most folks don't like the Auto Cannon but coming from the world of 3rd edition Chaos where the AC was only ranged choice, I learned to appreciate it's value on the battlefield. When you have 2 TL'd, S7 heavy 2 48" ranged weapons only good things can happen.

I'm still debating the make-up of my dreads, but for my Ironclad WIP I'm pretty sure I'm going with meltas for both, he just seems like a in your face tank hunter. But I might use a 2nd to support him with heavy flamers.

talking scouts, can you see doing 3 squads of 6 scouts with BLs and using the outflanked rule alongside of OBEL,,, oh boy, tender

edit

Opps, that would be 4 elite slots.... but 3 squads of 6 would still be fun,

I can see using that no cover save whirlwind shot on many different army lists.

Can someone point me to a page where to hits are explained for sniper rifle in C:SM or 5th ERB

I am debating on really shaking up my army. Started in 3rd ed with a "SW armored company", played it in the beginning of 4th as the same, but now it seems that the game has moved to troops over tanks. Gotta resist the urge to cash in all my tanks, because I imagine they will change it up again in 6th.

Still, I think my troops are going to get painted alot faster than my tanks will.

Anyone in the market for some old-style rhino's, razorback, and predator? Keeping my old (low-profile) whirlwind though.. ;)

But the Pred Annihilator had become expensive, same for Land Speeder Tornado with AC.

I don't see the Pred Ann being expensive, it's less than what it used to be. Just can't take upgrades for it.

A predator annihilator is more expensive than before by a whole 20 points with las cannons all around for both. The destructor is cheaper though, so it's a toss up.

Also I don't remember who posted it, but someone asked about sniper rifles? Well in the BBB you'll find that they wound on a 4+ and have rending. As for hitting I thought they took out the hits on 2's in exchange for rending but I'm not totally sure. So I'd assume you just use their BS of 3 (our Wolf scouts are 4 don't forget)

It was me that asked about snipers rifle, I found the sniper rule but am confused on the Str 3 against armor. I get a rending roll and roll another 6 which gives me another 3 to the str roll. So the most I can score for AP is going to be 6, pretty sure the lowest armor value in the game is 10. Why would anyone even bother shooting a sniper rifle at armor.

I guess the same thing can be said for the Assult Cannon, the highest AP score you can have is 9... am I reading this wrong!

:huh: With an AC you can reach AV15. S6 +d6 for armour penetration and if you through a 6 you will get additional d3 to the total make 15 max.

They're talking about sniper rifles - S3+d6, +d3 on a 6. Most that can be is 12.

Archived