storm bolters and special ammo?

kravi

Okay, so I got the rulebook from GW yesterday and have been perusing it. And enjoying it. But an obvious question came up.

Sternguard get special ammo types. Sternguard also get an option to equip themselves with storm bolters.

Now storm bolters use bolter ammo. Does this mean that storm bolter equipped Sternguard can use the special ammo types?

The ammo restriction states bolter, but a storm bolter is a type of bolter, so...?

--Me

Look at their entry in the Codex. They come armed with "BOLTGUNS" not bolters in their entry it says to quote "Each Boltgun-armed model in a sternguard vet unit comes armed with special ammunition types." Same goes for hellfire rounds.

Sorry theres No way of getting 20 shots with special ammo Storm Bolters at 24" range. I thought of that, then re-read the rules.

Sad but true. But, it also specifically defines that combi-bolters can still use special ammunition.

Combi-bolters can still use special ammo. They're still bolters - rapid fire, 24", etc, albeit with a special weapon attached. This is something that came up recently with the Space Wolves too - combi bolters can be used for true grit purposes as well.

Sad but true. But, it also specifically defines that combi-bolters can still use special ammunition.

Combi-bolters can still use special ammo. They're still bolters - rapid fire, 24", etc, albeit with a special weapon attached. This is something that came up recently with the Space Wolves too - combi bolters can be used for true grit purposes as well.

I take it all combi-weapons are still rapid fire. I keep wishfully thinking combi-melta/flamers would be assault 1. But like I said, thats my wishful thinking.

Techinically (by raw) COmbi Bolters can use Special Ammo because the SA rules say SA can be used with Combi bolters.

Interestingly enough , the Hellfire rounds you can buy characters by RAW can't be used with Combi Bolters as it says only boltguns.

Another player would have to really,really, annoy me before I called him on that during a game, but just to point out it could happen to people.

I take it all combi-weapons are still rapid fire. I keep wishfully thinking combi-melta/flamers would be assault 1. But like I said, thats my wishful thinking.

??

The bolter (and plasma gun) parts are rapid fire. The flamer/melta are assault.

Pretty sur that's the way it always has been isn't it?

??

The bolter (and plasma gun) parts are rapid fire. The flamer/melta are assault.

Pretty sur that's the way it always has been isn't it?

I don't know actually. I've never actually used any combi-weapons. ;) :rolleyes:

I could argue both ways on the topic, but since I've never seen any rules to the contrary, I'm taking it all combi-weapons are rapid fire.

Rules say it can either be fired as a bolter or one time/game as the combi part.

For bolter use bolter stats, for combi weapon use the combi weapon stats.

So you use the profile of a flamer/meltagun/plasma gun. (And of course melta and flamer are assault)

Archived