{ARTWORK} Legion of the Damned

Mr. Nipples

Woah thats alot of responses quickly.

first let me say, can we ban MFV? haha jk.

Im glad everyone likes its and the crits have been helpful. Ill address a few of them now

The skull, Its intentionally small for a few reasons one, I made it on fire and as a helmet...Ghostrider in power armor. So then I just made a skull, still looked like ghost rider in power armor. Took the lower jaw off and painted in 2 small hoses, less like ghost rider. Its a mixture of an empty skull and some hose.

Also the armor, if anyone has ever seen some dude get set on fire and run around or walk slowly. Its scary as **** so i imagined this dude constantly ablaze and like what a few of you have said would be very intimidating. I probably could have opted for less fire but given the fact that I have done asartes armor and def. wanted to do something different. And at the same time this wasnt really anything then a glorified sketch, so i wasnt to concerned.

Captain Malachi-really GW just makes the stuff and rules. We essentially as fans make the models and art how we see fit. LOTD are very mysterious so whos to say this dude just didnt get the shaft and be cursed to burn forever? I think if everyone did what GW lays fourth everyone would play ultramarines, there wouldnt be conversions at all, and essentially the game would be a bland empty husk. The lovley thing about warhammer is its open to interpretation and this is how i see a cursed loyalist marine.

highmarshalHelbrecht-See above.

Aqatone-Cant you see? hes literally burning off calories as we speak. haha

Grimdarkness-I wasnt aware that it was like a blue fire, I think that coulda looked pretty cool, Id always see LOTD with standard colored flamage.

Wiplash-Yeah was a concept sketch for a updated SGT. Centarius, though the final model will be ornate this was just a quick idea I took and rendered. so keep a look out.

Thanks again for all the Crits and kind words. EXCEPT MFV

Nips,

Wow the milage you're getting out of this one is remarkable. LOL

You know my thoughts on the rendering, sketch, and upcoming sculpt. I'm a excited as a fat kid in a Dunkin Doughnuts. I'm glad I could be a muse for the master.

ps. Guys, just wait until you see the final product. It's gonna be AMAZING.. I hope my painting skill will do Mr. N's sculpting skills justice.

yes guys it's gonna be mine..

Brother H.

Two of my sons and I are just gazing in awe...simply brilliant. I love the entire visage and I think a squad of these guys encased in flames slowly and silently moving towards the enemy...that whole image just gives me goosebumps!

zounds. *steals for reference photo

Like I am so ditto on that...<all apologies to the English and American languages...>

Wow!

actually i kind of agree with MFV, there's quite a lot of fire going on, that i don't even know where his arms are, or legs end. like just tone back around the midrift and lower arms, and it'd be spot on. also is he armed with anything? no heat haze?

I like this a great deal, just not sure (from a fluff standpoint) that the rolling fire really fits the Legion of the Damned.

Seems fine to me, i mean they could possibley be the Fire Hawks chapter who were lost in the warp if so then whos to say that flames like that couldnt exist on the Legion of the Damned?

Well the Legion were hit by some form of warp plague. Fire is part of the symbolism but not "them". The Flame Falcons though....that Chapter spontaneously mutated into some kind of fire beasts so "live fire" would definitely suit them.

The limited run of prints are as follows.

there will be 25 total 11x17" prints made.

There will be 10 total 20x30" prints made (I believe thats the dimensions, im drawing a blank now haha figures)

PM me for pricing and details.

See, this is probably how the Flame Falcons looked towards the end (before the Grey Knights smacked them).

I like this a great deal, just not sure (from a fluff standpoint) that the rolling fire really fits the Legion of the Damned.

The Flame Falcons are not gone........... THEY WILL NEVER DIE!!! MWAHAHAHAHA.......erm anyway This is what I always imagined when I thought of the Leigon of the Damned! You did superbly.

I've PM'd you Mr Nipples.

Incredible work.

As for the fluff. I could see this happening. LotD must be at least fire proof, so this guy could have just suprised some poor, unsuspecting renegade guards men or some such.

Love it.

Allthough I think this image gives away a REALLY cool vibe, I'd love to have seen a bit more detail of the figure. An arm and a weapon maybe. Fire have a tendency to be quite see-through. You should refference photos with metal catching fire next time you do an image like this one. Thats about the only constructuve critique I can come up with, beyond that, REALLY cool vibe!

I will preface this with the general acknowledgement of a job well done. I find it somewhat uncomfortable, though, the mixture of hyper-detail with very vague sections. I suppose you will have it with fire, one of the most brutally difficult things to draw well. I think you probably did a demonstrably better job with that than I generally do here, but the schlieren effect you have going on is a little off, from a realistic perspective. Its been a while since I've stared at a brutally hot plane of asphalt or into a fire, but typically the distortion is not so centralized and had a vaguely vertical orientation to it. Of course, you shouldn't get me wrong, I like it, but those are probably what I would point out would be your next area of improvement for a piece like this. I'd also like it more if you weren't drawing in the hyper-heroic proportions GW occasionally creates, but few people would change that kind of preference on my behalf, and I wouldn't say that they should. I get plenty of people who say the opposite to me.

Archived