Mat Ward interview Oct WD

Thylacine

I am not 100% where I have read it but I think that on average there are no more than 120 marines per great company.

We're not ultrasmurfs, we don't follow the rules, we're our own and make it as such. The rules don't apply to the sons of Russ and never will.

I'm not sure, I never worried about all that stuff, I make it my business to know that Space Wolves are bad@$$ and we don't give a hoot about what others say how we should do things. :)

I have never seen anything (or I dont remember) saying the scouts are a part of the Great Wolfs Company.

I can fully see them making the Imperium think that their great companies are just 'about the size of a regular SM company' while actually being closer to a chapter.

"Disband our legion, eh? Sure thing... as soon as you loose most of your fighting against the traitors. Wait.. you were busy elsewhere. Convenient, isnt it? :cuss."

There are very few places Ive seen any discussion, or even speculation, about the size of a Great Company in the fluff... that being said Ive seen ALOT of discussion about it here. Seems to crop up every month and a half.

Someone always mentions a hundred thousand strong legion... as I recall they were closer to 30k. Space marines were a small legion... and Ive had that quote to me as being anywhere from 7k to 17k. I prefer to think of it as around 14k.... why? Because its a large question mark in the fluff, so Ill look at it like I want to.

-1500 for the 13nth company.

-1200 for Heresy losses- Remember we were with another legion as we headed to terra, and missed the seige.

That leaves us with 11k. Now, add a splinter chapter- probly around 1100.

That leaves us with just over 10,000 space marines. Now of course this is only a couple hundred years after the heresy.... over time the number would get a bit smaller as fenrisian recruits dont quite make up for the large terran contingent of the legion. After looking at a large number of arguments Id put the size of an average great company as around 350-400 marines, not including dreadnaughts, putting the spaces wolves at just smaller than the black templars.

Archived