Command Squads?

DextrousWombat

Well i have searched for a topic on this and found nothing so.....

Myself and a friend at the local GW store got into a debate the other day about how command squads are taken.

He was arguing that they are an upgrade for the Captain and therefore count as a retinue meaning that the captain has to be attached and cant be picked out.

Whereas i was arguing that they function in a similar fashion to the Honor Guard in codex Blood Angels, counting as a seperate unit so the character doesnt have to be attached and can join a different unit while the command squad can roam around as it wishes.

I have been staring around at the new SM codex for an hour now and cannot find any evidence to support any of our claims which to me is more than confusing.

Which one of us is right and what evidence is there to support this?

This comes from a long time Blood angel player who is content with codex BA and is looking to start white scars, as if the captain had to be with them Kor'Sorro Khans fleet rule would be pointless with a command squad being fielded as he would have to join that unit.

Thanks

-Petey

you see thats what i thought but he is adamant that is not the case and they are an actual upgrade for the captain as Telion is for a scout squad and Chronus a tank.

I am grateful for the reply and will pass this on thanks.

-Petey

The actual requirement for being counted as a retinue is that the IC cannot leave it or join other units whilst any member of the squad is still alive. As the entry for the command squad (and honour guard) doesn't say anything to that effect, then it's not a retinue

and marneus can take 3 honors guards, which have, simillarly, no retinue rule. Were it intended as a retinue, this would be impossible...

command squads, Honor Guards, and Servitors are NOT retinues/bodyguards/etc... as has been determined many times already on this forum.

Telion and Chronus are specifically cited as upgrade characters in their entries. (one squad may may replace its sgt with Telion, one tank may be assigned brother sgt. Chronus)

The actual requirement for being counted as a retinue is that the IC cannot leave it or join other units whilst any member of the squad is still alive. As the entry for the command squad (and honour guard) doesn't say anything to that effect, then it's not a retinue

This is the key. Can the IC leave the unit if it is still alive? If yes, then it is not a retinue. If no then it is.

Archived