Can bikes shoot and then assault?

Gortrok

Right, it says in the rules that a unit firing rapid fire or heavy weapons in the shooting phase cannot in the same turn launch and assault.

But what about models with the Relentless special rule, like bikes and Terminators? If they can move and then shoot as if they hadn't moved at all, shouldn't they be allowed to assault after that? The new rule that disallows a unit to launch an assault after firing rapid fire and heavy weapons has been put into place to represent that it's difficult enough to shoot with rapid fire weapons while moving at the best of times, and never with heavy weapons, let alone trying to launch an assault afterwards.

However, doesn't it make sense that a unit (such as bikers) that isn't encumbered by shooting rapid fire or heavy weapons after they do their normal move be allowed to make an assault afterwards? After all, isn't launching an assault nothing less than the continuance of the overall movement of the unit?

If the reasoning behind this is something stupid like "They have to ready their close combat weapons" then I won't buy it. What the heck does a Terminator need to ready when one of his entire hands is a weapon? Bikes don't have time to get fiddly with changing to close combat weaponry when they are speeding across terrain in huge metal monsters of bikes :P

Someone explain! Or alternatively, tell me where I can send a stern email to to help the rule get "fixed" :)

Yes bikes can shoot then assault. But BE CAREFUL with them, they are about as powerful in CC as a regular marine tac squad with just a tiny bit more toughness. I wouldn't go for it unless you've got some serious sergeant HtH weapons in there, I've lost many a bike squad by committing them to CC too early.

They're best used as a force to pile into an already ongoing assault to help your boys that are locked up already out.

Thanks for the replies; I thought it was supposed to be like that :)

I usually use bikes with an attack bike attached, ferry them up one flank, multimelta some tanks and then shoot like crazy at anything that's near. They work in support of other units or in tandem with an assault squad. I've only had a bit of success with them so far; those units cost lots! I shall perservere though!

That's going to have to go on the back shelf though: I just found a box of Marneus Calgar and his Honour Guard I forgot I had! :)

Bikes are awesome, but just very tough to use effectively. Toss in their huge points sink compared to a tac squad and I certainly would not want to use them as assault in anything other than a supportive capacity. Too few weak attacks for soooooo many points.

I'm considering a bike command squad. Upgrade to champion and buy a powerfist and a couple of power weapons and you've got a feal no pain, toughness 5, 18" assault threat radius unit that can deal with most battlefield threats. still striking at I4 tho, so usual high initiative enemies would be a challenge.

Am I correct in thinking that they do not need to be attached to the captain on the field?

Am I correct in thinking that they do not need to be attached to the captain on the field?

I believe so.

Otherwise, it would be a Retinue... which would make the Biker Captain into an Upgrade Character, and that would be completely overpowered.

To me bikes work best as fire support platforms. The two squads I'll usually switch between are

5-man bike squad, 2 meltaguns, Attack bike with multi-melta

5-man bike squad, 2 plasma guns, Sgt. with lightning claws (are they still an option?)

First one works best, but I like the second one for the Sgt. But, if claws are no longer an option...

I AM THE AWESOME: I use just about the same tactics with bikes; they've always seemed like firing platforms to me. It seems silly to use them any other way, since in close combat they hit, wound and take armour saves like any other Space Marine, except there's only 5 or 6 of em there.

As a side note, I got one of my friends to play my Space Marines while I played Chaos, just to see what units he'd use and how effective hey would be. He used the Khan special character with a unit of 6 bikes, outflanking. All I can say is watch out for rapid firing plasma guns!

Especially those shot by Chaos Marines because they hit easily, and if the gun overheats they can most likely save the wound :S I manage to kill 2 bikers and stun and Dreadnought and kill the Techmarine of the Thunderfire Cannon with him, so imagine what would happen to those relatively expensive bike if there was a bit more plasma coming their way!

Archived