Constrictors' Drop Pods

So those of you who have read the Constrictors backround or any of my Battle Reports know that they favor rapid deployment and increased mobility. This doctrine is reinforced by the new Codex's insights into the way the Astartes wage war. To fufill my vision of the Constrictors' strike force, I have made the following purchase. Thanks WarStore!

gallery_34560_2299_75555.jpg

Since I don't intend to open my Pods, I will only be using the following parts (plus the little square bits that fit on the thruster assembly).

gallery_34560_2299_34221.jpg

After cleaning flash and mold lines, We are ready for assembly. Simply glue the thruster components together, as well as the base plates and doors.

gallery_34560_2299_35200.jpg

Then slide in the structural fins.

gallery_34560_2299_49441.jpg

Glue the doors.

gallery_34560_2299_49226.jpg

Comparison between the new pods and my 2 year old scratch build.

gallery_34560_2299_72328.jpg

Now for paint! I start by undercoating with Krylon flat black. Followed by Tamiya golden yellow (3 coats and matte varnish!) on the fins.

gallery_34560_2299_10538.jpg

Then I mask off the hazard stripes with race-car pinstriping tape. I just eyeball it, not to concerned about spacing...

gallery_34560_2299_70517.jpg

Spray the whole mess black, peel off the tape and apply to the next pod.

gallery_34560_2299_13911.jpg

Mine are going to be green obviously.

gallery_34560_2299_35826.jpg

All that's left is metallics, entry burn marks, and details.

Thanks for reading!

looks like a very nice and fast way to paint.

but why bother making them all-yellow if you just do it for the stripes anyway? you could have just sprayed the side parts

That's just overspray. Faster and brighter than painting yellow by hand.

Thank you for the kind words guys. They will be awesome when completed.

i think the hazard stripes would look better all going at the same angle relative to the hull. currently if '/' is a hazard stripe, and '[ ]' is the hull, they're:

\\\[ ]\\\

when:

\\\[ ]///

might look better (is certainly the usual way for hazard stripes). is a bit abstracted, but hope you get what i mean.

That is certainly an option, but will require much more fiddling with the tape, rather than just wrapping it around the fin (plus that part is already done on all the pods :lol: ). While I want my pods to look cool, I'm also trying to make them as quickly as possible.

Nice pods you have there.

My only gripe with them is not including the interior detail. If you use Locator Beacons (as i will be doing), you can measure the 6" range of the Beacon from an open door, hence increasing the range. A little beardy maybe, but a viable tactic.

Can't do that with glued up doors though.

Nice pods you have there.

My only gripe with them is not including the interior detail. If you use Locator Beacons (as i will be doing), you can measure the 6" range of the Beacon from an open door, hence increasing the range. A little beardy maybe, but a viable tactic.

Can't do that with glued up doors though.

Negative. You measure from the hull of the model, not extended doors. I won't hijack this thread, but if you'd like to debate the idea, take a look at the appropraite thread in the Official Rules forum.

@ Kryppers- Possibly. Door interiors, restraints, and radar screeen...

@ Wraithwing- One benefit of so many pods is extended beacon coverage.

@ Patrick- It's hard enough to find time to this amount of work. I want these things ( plus a Sternguard squad, Count-as Kantor, and Count-as Telion) ready in a couple of weeks.

@ Vissah- Nice to have a fan! I've been gaming with my =][=nquisition lately, but the Constrictors will be getting some serious playing time once I'm done with these new units.

Archived