Need advice on modeling a DH Inquisitor Lords

Chengar Qordath

So, I have a couple of issues I'm working on with getting a good idea what I'll need for a good DH Inquisitor Lord, and I thought this would be a good place to ask about it. Since I'm not all that good at converting models, any advice to keep things as simple as possible would be much appreciated. In case anyone is curious, this is the planned unit:

DH Inquisitor Lord

Wargear: Psycannon, Targetter, Artificer Armor, Icon of the Just, Targeter

2 Heavy Bolter Servitors

1 Plasma Cannon Servitor

2 Sages

1 Mystic

Now, on to the issues:

1. First off, since GW seem doesn't make a specific DH Inquisitor Lord model I'll have to convert something else to fill the role. For why that's not quite as big an issue as it might initially seem, see point #2.

2. It would be technically incorrest to say I want to make an Inquisitor Lord; we've got plenty of fluff saying there are female Inquisitors, so I see no reason I can't put one out on the battlefield. There's also the fact that since I'll be fielding her as an ally attached to my Sisters army at times it would be nice to not break the all-female theme of the force. That's going to mean more custom converting.

3. Now to the retinue itself; gun servitors shouldn't be an issue since HB ones can be bought and I've got several friends who play Space Marines, one of whom is bound to have a spare Plasma Cannon in his bitz box. For sages I can use Dialogus models; it's technically WH but still a sage model, so I doubt anyone would get too bothered, especially when the Inquisitor is being fielded as an ally to a Sisters army. The mystic is my big stumbling block; the only way I can see to buy one off GW is to buy Torquemada Coteaz and his retinue, and that means paying for lots of models I don't really want, so that means I need to get creative to find a good mystic. Anyone have a good suggestion?

For Mystics, how about IG Sanctioned Psykers? They seem to follow the 'astropathic' look.

For DH, Grey Knights are a good place to start for Inquisitor conversions - they have decent icocnography that can (not easily though) be changed. For my acolytes with Artificer Armour, I used the bodies of Grey Knights with different arms - you could do that and replace the head of you want. However, if you want to do a female Inquisitor you're better off with the WH Inquisitor models

According to GW's website they still sell a number of individual DH inquisitors, but if you want a female convert the WH one..

Various WHFB models can work for mystics - some of the empire/breton wizards could pass, or, sticking to females the Sisters of Sigma from Mordheim

I used a sister superior model. The giant pointy breasts bother me model wise just because no combat gear would ever have breasts, especially not power armor, but whatever.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/revnow85/DSCN2814.jpg

IG sanctioned psykers make awesome mystics or sages, as do techpriest engineseers and the old stormtrooper model with the auspex in its hand, I just replaced the plas pistol with a las pistol

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/revnow85/DSCN2770.jpg

I would start with the Sisters Canoness as the basis for a female DH inquisitor lord. The armor is sufficently ornate to pass for artifice armor and since the hands are already separate it really makes conversions a breeze. Here's what I would do for a conversion:

Canoness

SW scout backpack (if you can find it)

Vehicle stormbolter (basis for the psycannon)

hubcap from a vehicle tire (psycannon barrel)

The scout backpack has that luvverly periscope bit that will be trimmed off to mount the stormbolter to the backpack. Cut the stormbolter barrels off and glue the hubcap in place. You can add wires and connections if you want, but I wouldn't. Position the psycannon so it's pointing in the same direction she is looking. Use the book hand as the IotJ. The model already has a bionic eye, so there's your targeter. I would put one of the sword hands on as a CCW. Primer and paint and the job is done.

I think everyone is on track with their suggestions, however, from a gaming standpoint, you need to add some abalative wounds to that retinue in the form of Hierophants or Familiars. For a measly 6 points each, or (36) total, you get the best invul save in the game (dead henchmen) to protect your valuable servitors and sages. In the new edition, ie. no majority armour nonsense, you can freely appoint wounds to these human shields.

I love to do different Inquisitors/Inquisitor Lords and have more than half a dozen either from all three Ordos.

I would actually design the Inquisitor according to his/her role on the field. I have to admi I do not play in tournaments and I still enjoy the game not winning as often which is a general army problem.

An Inq Lord overseeing the batte field and accompanied by gun servitors providing ranged fire form the back of the table would wear less armor and heavy weaponry (such as a psycannon) but think more of someone wearign a rich ornamental outfit.

Inquisitors are powerful characters, but their strength rarely lies in their physique. After all, they are generally just humans.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Another thought that just occured to me; I could put my Inquisitor in Terminator Armor since it's in the DH armory, and then I would really only need to put a female head on since TDA is so massive it would hide any other physical attributes, and being relentless makes her a bit better for fire support. If I drop the Icon of the Just I'll still have the 5+ save from Terminator armor, and 20 more points to spend on the rest of my army. GW also sells bitz for attaching psycannons to Termiators, so that's another potential complication gone.

While the converted Sisters as Inquisitors look real nice, I'm a touch wary of using one of those for a basis when I'll be fielding the Inquisitor with a Sisters army at times; it creates potential for confusion. The idea of using IG sanctioned psykers or something from Warhammer Fantasy for the mystic sounds great, so I'll probably do one of those.

Chengar Qordath Posted Today, 07:51 PM

GW also sells bitz for attaching psycannons to Termiators,

There's a GK Terminator w/psycannon blister around that has the psycannon strapped to the left forearm. You could do your headswap and addd/remove whatever iconography you want fairly easily.

Limiting your Inquisitor to a specific type of armour by converting him or her in that type of armour can sometimes cause problems when scaling up and down to match game sizes and different army builds.

Personally I have a handful of Inquisitor and acolyte conversions sitting around so I can change their wargear at need. Power weapons or storm bolters or mancatchers or different types of armour, with and without stormshields...

Limiting your Inquisitor to a specific type of armour by converting him or her in that type of armour can sometimes cause problems when scaling up and down to match game sizes and different army builds.

Personally I have a handful of Inquisitor and acolyte conversions sitting around so I can change their wargear at need. Power weapons or storm bolters or mancatchers or different types of armour, with and without stormshields...

That's a good point; if I convert an Inquisitor in Terminator Armor then I wouldn't be able to switch her out to power or artificer armor in smaller games. However, for smaller games I'll probably want to stick with an Order Militant HQ in any case, since an Inquisitor Lord plus the cost of the retinue probably wouldn't be worth buying in smaller games, and in larger ones the 20 pts for Terminator armor is unlikely to be a massive issue.

For my Inquisitor Lord I used a Dark Angel Veteran body, a GKT arm with psycannon, a Thunder Hammer arm, Deathwatch shoulderpad, Deathwatch head. Came out rather spiffy. Can upload a photo in a few days. I recommend scouring a few bits sites, there is a wealth of stuff for a reasonable price out there. Combine with left over bits from normal purchases. As to the female perspective, even current ballistic protection obscures most of the more feminine body attributes, so beneath power armour or better there'd be no difference. An open head would be the best way to represent a women, with the cliche long hair.

From a rules point, drop the targeter (your Gun Servitors already have one), and drop the fancy armour. Power Armour is fine for him, and you really don't want to be moving, as you lose the rest of your squads firepower. Throw in some cheap wounds instead.

Archived