Blood Raven Assault Marine

Lord Drax

Nice deep red.

One suggestion.

Do the shoulderpads apart from the model. Instead of priming it black *which I assumed happened, if i'm wrong ignore me*. But prime them white first, do a black outline around the edge of the pad to seperate and give you a buffer for painting the black rims, then glaze/paint the shoulder pads with bleach bone till you get a nice smooth bleach bone colour to it.

I disagree, though in a stylistic sense - I like the mottled look of the bone pads, I just think it looks nice. En masse though, it might well begin to look uneven rather than aesthetically pleasing, so if it's uniformity you want I'd listen to gettothegone.

For me though, I just think the eyes could do with a little more attention.

Instead of priming it black *which I assumed happened, if i'm wrong ignore me*. But prime them white first, do a black outline around the edge of the pad to seperate and give you a buffer for painting the black rims

While he may have primed them black, I think the mottled effect comes from a wash/ink rather than just the black bleeding through the bleached bone.

Also, I don't think it's necessary to prime the arms/shoulder pads seperately. If the mottling wasn't intentional weathering then he just needs to get a nice solid coat of bone on there, it may take multiple coats but it works just fine.

To the OP, it's hard to say a whole lot because of how dark the picture is but I do have a few comments.

1) I'm not real fond of the red. You seemed to have applied it just fine but I personally think it's too dark for Blood Ravens. Even if you disagree I'd say it still needs highlights.

2) The eagle on the chest needs some wash + highlights to make it really stand out. Otherwise it just kind of blends in with the jump pack harness.

3) Nice job on the freehand :HQ:

Thanks for the comments.

@Manserus - the basing was done using regular modelling sand and GW scorched grass

@Chronowraith - i agree that the eagle needs more work after seeing it in photo form, and also the red looks a little too dark as the lighting on the shot was a bit messed up. i'll be adding some better highlighting as i can see what you mean about it.

@Patrick - yeah i think the eyes do need something doing to them

@gettothegone - thanks for the tips i'll be using them on the next models in the line.

cheers

Drax

@Chronowraith - i agree that the eagle needs more work after seeing it in photo form, and also the red looks a little too dark as the lighting on the shot was a bit messed up. i'll be adding some better highlighting as i can see what you mean about it.

@Patrick - yeah i think the eyes do need something doing to them

I figured the lighting had a bit to do with the darkness of the red, I just didn't know how much.

For the eyes if you want them to really stand out then try painting the front of the eye a little bit lighter and then put an extremely small dab of white in the back corner.

There are plenty of examples here and in the hall of honor. Barring that, have a look in the citadel painting guide if you have a store nearby that has one. Or, if you need help I can try and produce some photos that show what I mean.

Archived