How to arm the OBEL Wolf Scouts.

Menathorn

Greetings Brothers,

I have long thought about addind Wolf Scouts to my army. I like the concept of them, the lone wolfs that hunt behind the enemys lines. Would make a great novell. Now, I don't really know how I should arm them. I was wondering if some of you might wanna give me a hand. This could also come in handy if someone else is asking them self this very question. Please share all your thoughts on the subject. And don't forget the amounts of kill your WScouts have claimed;)

Best Regards

Menathorn

Mixture of Plasma Pistols and a Melta gun and a Wolf Guard Pack Leader with a Power Fist and say a Combi melta or combi plasma. Great for cutting down Termies, Broadsides, busting the rear armor of tanks and generally causing all kinds of havoc.

Yeah, the only thing that I could think of in addition to that would be frags and I do take 2 pw's with mine. They are great for cutting apart those nasty dev squads sitting back. I know some people like meltabombs, but it's just so darn expensive to upgrade them with that. The pack I've been fielding comes in fairly cheaply and has been quite effective for me in everything but 1 game (hammerhead with flechette launchers, ouch!). 2xpw, 1xpp, meltagun, frags, 2 shotguns. The shotguns, now upgraded to str4 give them a nice little added punch pre assault. I think this pack is something like 128 pts.

I have 2 packs, depending on their job.

Pack 1: Melta, PP/CCW, 2 PW/CCW, 2 BP/CCW

Pack 2: Plasma, 2 PP/CCW, 3 Bolter

Pack 1 is OBEL. Pack 2 is Infiltrate. Pack 1 is designed to both shoot and fight well (because you never know what they will leave in their back field). Pack 2 is designed to JUST shoot, but to take down whatever it might shoot.

I recently converted a unit of SM Scouts to Wolf Scouts so I could get shotguns for my OBEL pack. Assault 2 Str 4 shots is like a bolter I can still assault with.

I have a WGPL that I put with my OBEL scouts, armed with a PP/PF... though I might change that in light of the PF changes.

I take 2 plasma pistols, 1 meltagun. This usually lets them blow away a vehicle and if there was anyone inside, assault them. When I have the points, I attach a Wolf Guard leader to the pack, but that isn't always the case!

I could tell some epic stories about my OBEL scouts though, believe me. Heroes if the Imperium in my eyes.

I find that a nice mixture gives you many options. If you have a wise opponent they will move their armor away from the back lines, but there is always something to pick from so I go with:

1 MG, 2 PP, 2 Shotguns.

Shot guns now give us a shot at glancing rear armor and helps replace the need for melta bombs as well keeping them under 100points

1PL with SS and TH if I am feeling the need.

Sgt Vrox

I take 2 plasma pistols, 1 meltagun. This usually lets them blow away a vehicle and if there was anyone inside, assault them.

I dont think thats legal in 5th ed. If you shoot the vehicle, and it blows up, you can not assault, as the target you shot is no longer valid.

I take 2 plasma pistols, 1 meltagun. This usually lets them blow away a vehicle and if there was anyone inside, assault them.

I dont think thats legal in 5th ed. If you shoot the vehicle, and it blows up, you can not assault, as the target you shot is no longer valid.

Yes you are correct they cannot assault the unit inside a transport until the next turn and only if they shot at the guys inside.

can't believe I missed that one...

Yes you are correct they cannot assault the unit inside a transport until the next turn and only if they shot at the guys inside.

can't believe I missed that one...

No, actually, that one changed with 5th ed. Now, if you shot at a transport, it blows up, they disembark, you can assault them. Its, shiny, it's new, its amazing ;)

and I quote from pg 67 of the RB, just under the Destroyed- explodes! section, above dedicated transports:

Note: remember that all models in a single unit fire simultaneousley, so a squad cannot take out a transport with it's lascannon and then mow down the occupants with their bolters. However, if a transport is destroyed (either result) by a ranged attack, the unit that shot it may assault the now disembarked passengers, if it is allowed to assault according to the assault rules.

Dont you love the little rules they try to tuck into the corner? ;)

Yeah, I've had fun in some games popping rhinos and killing a few in the explosion, then charging in with my scouts to finish off the hapless marines inside. It's so much fun seeing how much damage 120 pts can wreak.

Goodness! learn something new everyday... to bad I didn't look into this for ard boyz, I would have taken first for sure now... teaches me to not look up rules and trust what others say "You can't assault my sisters since you shot at the rhino, want me to look it up and show you?", "No don't worry about it, I trust you, we don't have much time anyways and next turn those sisters won't be on the objective anymore."... 1 sister left standing with book lost combat, passed Ld, contested objective, only major victory for Wolf... no massacre, no first place... -_- (this'll haunt me now OID thanks... :( )

I'm starting to consider wolf scouts in my list now... :tu:

Errr....how does the only model of a squad that's NOT a space marine regroup from falling back? Is there wargear that sisters can take that lets them do that? The only army with the inherent ability to is space marines...

Errr....how does the only model of a squad that's NOT a space marine regroup from falling back? Is there wargear that sisters can take that lets them do that? The only army with the inherent ability to is space marines...

No no she didn't fall back, she passed her Ld that was the whole point. She had this book (unmodifiable Ld 9) and when she lost combat, had she not had that book she'd need snake eyes (-9 to your Ld roll will do that to you for loosing combat by 9 wounds :tu: ). If she failed the Ld test, then she'd fall back, but since she passed nothing happens, they just stay locked in combat.

Very adamant about my scouts. Posted this in a thread a while back. My favorite unit and time and again proved themselves. I run 6 W/ Melta bombs, Frag, 2 PW, and a Flamer. 140 pts. (with the new rules about charging units out of tanks, I might even throw in the Plasma pistols, or possible replace the melta bombs for them.) And if you have the points go with a Wolf Guard with a Combi Flamer, And swap your flamer for a Melta gun. And give him a TH or PW. This is extremely versitile, can take out 10 man Marine squads on the charge if a tank isn't available, or not desired. In a tourny this makes them effective against any army. (including nyds, the TH can strike the Monstrous Creature and kill and stun it, and with 7 guys you have the padding and LD to kill it.) Or blow up a tank shooting, and kill the guys inside on a charge. And, if you can manage it, or don't kill a tank shooting, you can Melta bomb it to death if you chose to take them. (I always do. As very often I get Dual charges on tanks even.) This is can get expensive. (about 200 pts fully loaded.) Well worth the kill anything ability though.

Yeah... Combi-flamer/Thunderhammer for the win. :blush:. Atleast on the WGPL.... I like to run him with a larger squad of a meltagun, a powerweapon, and a plasmapistol in large games.

In smaller games I prefer just 4 with a Meltagun and a powerweapon. Keeps it cheap and simple, but effective.

Archived