Simple question about holding an objective

0.cool

Well from what I understand about reading the rules if he is declared Wolf Guard Leader of the pack of Grey Hunters he is effectively a Grey Hunter in regards to squad/pack/army composition and can be nothing else for the duration of the game.

"A Wolf Guard Leader is a member of his pack and cannot leave it during the game." - Space Wolf Codex

Says nothing about if all other members are lost nor that he may leave at any time.

Yeah, but Wolf, it's our mission in life to repeat the FAQ. I think muzzy designated you, me and Omar as the FAQ priests. We wander around the Fang in big old monk robes with the FAQ tattooed across our faces chanting "it says it right here.....it says it right here..."

Surely objectives can only be held by scoring units, and as I understand it, these refer only to troops choices, which are above 50% in strength. Therefore a lone man is incapable of capturing an objective, but may count as contesting the objective if it is being held by the opposing player (making the objective neutral).

Yea the 50% thing is gone, gotta kill em all now, hehe. Sucks when you got that one little survivor running around causing havoc, especially if he won't run away like a Marine or IG with Iron Discipline, or Bonded Tau, dirty little buggers!

Yeah, but Wolf, it's our mission in life to repeat the FAQ. I think muzzy designated you, me and Omar as the FAQ priests. We wander around the Fang in big old monk robes with the FAQ tattooed across our faces chanting "it says it right here.....it says it right here..."

I'd rather have the curse of the wulfen fully take over my body... :D

Yeah, as others have said the 50% rule no longer applies, you have to kill the whole squad.

And the FAQ says they count as part of the force org chart slot that their pack is.... so a WGPL is usually a troop, sometimes an elite, and all WGBG are HQ.... excepting wulfen that is.

I checked in the 5th edition yesterday (as i played an objective game) and if you look under mission types, there is a whole paragraph dedicated to Scoring Units, and under that it states that scoring units must remain above 50% to be counted as a unit being able to CAPTURE an objective. To prevent an enemy capturing an objective, any unit will suffice, regardless of unit strength as the wording states that to capture a scoring unit must be within 3 inches and no enemy units within that distance. This is useful as you can send your remnants at the enemy to prevent them controlling the objective, while you use the scoring troop unit to control your own objective.

Under annihilation mission rules I believe that you must kill the entire unit to get the full Kill points.

There is nothing in the entry about 50% or "half" for scoring units, believe me I just read my copy of the 5th Edition quite thoroughly. All it mentions is that a TROOP choice can only control it but ANY unit can make it contested.

Maybe my copy sucks cause its the AoBR mini-edition but as I understand it, the mini has every rule needed just no fluff (outside of the nice W40K quotes).

I checked in the 5th edition yesterday (as i played an objective game) and if you look under mission types, there is a whole paragraph dedicated to Scoring Units, and under that it states that scoring units must remain above 50% to be counted as a unit being able to CAPTURE an objective. To prevent an enemy capturing an objective, any unit will suffice, regardless of unit strength as the wording states that to capture a scoring unit must be within 3 inches and no enemy units within that distance. This is useful as you can send your remnants at the enemy to prevent them controlling the objective, while you use the scoring troop unit to control your own objective.

Under annihilation mission rules I believe that you must kill the entire unit to get the full Kill points.

This can't be 5th edition, because mine clearly states:

An army's scoring units are all the units that come from its Troops allowance. The presence of other units may deny an objective to the enemy, but only Troops can control it. There are a few exceptions, however, when a unit of Troops does not count as scoring:

- If it is a vehicle.

- If it has the Swarm special rule.

- If it has a special rule specifying it never counts as a scoring unit.

Unit of Troops embarked in a transport can control objectives (measure the distance to their vehicle's hull).

(note the bold 'troop' wasn't my doing, that's from the BBB)

So I'm not sure what rulebook you're reading from, but you sure you didn't accidentally pick up 4th edition? Because that's exactly what it sounds like... :D

I clearly need to check my rulebook when I get home, maybe I got confused. Anyway, unless GW are in the habit of sending out 4th Ed rulebooks with the AoBR boxed set, I think I am using 5th Edition. Also judging by the reaction of the Ork player who's army is now only equal to mine in hand to hand, and is much worse than Black Templars have now become, I think GW have once again released a new edition, as these type of indignant reactions are typical around these times!

I clearly need to check my rulebook when I get home, maybe I got confused. Anyway, unless GW are in the habit of sending out 4th Ed rulebooks with the AoBR boxed set, I think I am using 5th Edition. Also judging by the reaction of the Ork player who's army is now only equal to mine in hand to hand, and is much worse than Black Templars have now become, I think GW have once again released a new edition, as these type of indignant reactions are typical around these times!

You must be confused because I have both editions and work at a store that sells them so I'd know if anything has changed and nothing has. Everything is the norm. You just needed to double check yourself during that ork game and you would have probably won.

Also orks have a problem if they get assaulted (which is what BT are good at... the whole shoot me and I rush forward thing is fine and dandy against space wolves, but it scares the crap out of orkies) as they loose their furious charge (for some orks) and other benefits of charging. They're not strong, they have a low initiative what they do have is a lot of dice, that's about it. From the look of your opponents list it didn't seem like he fully knew how to play orks either, but this isn't Da Waggh so I won't elaborate on what he should have taken instead of what he did.

Archived