Best Source for Flamers

minigun762

Thanks to Cover Saves being the new hawt item out there, I'd like to incorporate most Flamers into my army. Typically I'm looking for speed enhanced squad who are decent in HtH as the prime target for my Flamer squads will be shooting teams in cover (Devastators, Lootas, Heavy Weapon Teams etc) or giant squads of cannon fodder (Orks, Gaunts, Guardsman etc.)

Most of these squads don't require alot to take out and often holding them up for a few turns is just as good as out right killing them, so I don't want to invest a crapton of points into my Flamer squads and as such here are the choices I've come up with.

1) 5 CSMs, Naked Rhino, Flamer for 115 points

Pro: Scoring Unit and Rhino for blocking Con: Only 1 Flamer and if you lose Rhino you're hoofing it

2) 5 Raptors, 2 Flamers for 110 points

Pro: Fast moving without transport, 2 Flamers. Con: No more protected than a basic CSM, probably the most vunerable choice.

3) 3 Bikers, 2 Flamers for 106 points

Pro: Fastest and cheapest unit, 3+ Cover Save will help when boosting Con: Lowest number of attacks and wounds

4) 5 Chosen, 5 Flamers for 115 points

Pro: 5! Flamers, Highest LD value Con: After infiltrate/outflank, you're walking

Some may notice I didn't include another obvious choice of 3 Terminator and a Heavy Flamer. Reason is simply I'm not a fan of Terminators, thats all.

So between Options 1-4, which ones do you think are the most viable, particularly in a mechanized list?

you forgot some, the TL flamers on an oblit, and havocs w/ flamers (in a rhino).

personally, I like flamers in CSM units, and on bikes. In CSM units thought I prefer to run them 10 strong, w/ 2 flamers, and a combi-flamer if I am feeling saucy.

for what you have listed, i think the bikes may be the best choice. their speed will get you into position for maximum flameage, and the high toughness+turbo boost save will help them survive to get there. downside of bikers is that they are not a CC unit, if they are left in a position to be counter assaulted, things will go badly for them.

I just finished building a chosen unit w/ 5 flamers (hmm.... flamers :) ) havent had a chance to play them yet, but i look foreward to the burnitation!

Raptors, raptors raptors!

Get a 6 man squad of Raps, they are small enough to hide behind rhinos, and fast enough to spring out of the gap and whap the enemy where it really hurts, and fast enough to possibly get out again, same with terrain.

I personally use 8 man squads of Raptors with mark of khorne and 2 flamers as a general purpose unit.

can i add 10 man troops with two flamers asp with combi flamer and rhino with comb flamer

chosen with combi flamers, looks cool and allows you to shoot first.

Out of your list i'd go with raptors in preference. tho i prefer termies with combi flamers and heavy flamers. Its just brutal, 6 unloading and marines just die. :HQ:

My votes goes for 3 first and 2 second.

They are by far the fastest (turbo boost+jump pack) and quite small, meaning you can easily hide them in terrain. Now them being the cheapest means you don't lose much if they die either.

Archived