Auxiliary Grenade Launchers - use with any weapon?

After reading the Auxiliary Grenade Launchers entry in the new codex, I am unsure as to whether they can be used with any weapon or only with another firing weapon.

"An auxiliary grenade launcher can be fired in addition to another weapon."

Does the wording mean if you fire a weapon you can also fire the grenade launcher or does it mean you can fire it even if the weapon you have is a CCW?

My understanding from what I've seen is that you can fire the grenade launcher in addition to any other weapons fired by the model.

How would you have a grenade launcher and chainsword? It defeats the purpose of being 'auxiliary' then, right?

I agree with Eddie on this one. The rule states it can fire with another weapon. Since it doesn't say it has to be fired in such a manner one would assume the standard rules apply to it shooting on it's own.

@Zeller - the book described the auxillary launcher as both a underslung mount and then as seperate shoulder mounts too. So it's completely possible to have say a chainsword, storm shield, and then a shoulder mounted grenade launcher.

The original Terminator Captain mini had a small unobtrusive auxiliary grenade launcher mounted on the outside of his powerfist, ala Abaddons lightning claw mounted Storm Bolter.

Addendum, found a pic:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/khromash/LA1.jpg

The original Terminator Captain mini had a small unobtrusive auxiliary grenade launcher mounted on the outside of his powerfist, ala Abaddons lightning claw mounted Storm Bolter.
I have this figure, and when I saw this in the codex I was stoked that I could use him again. :sweat:

So that's what that is! I bit ordered that powerfist ages ago, and I've been wondering what that was on the back of the fist.

As far as the original question goes, I believe that the Aux GL does indeed fire separately from everything else. For example, I have a Captain with Storm Shield, Relic Blade and AGL.

The background also lists the that whilst underslung bolter/combi weapons are the usual place for them, shoulder or even vambrace loaded AGL's are not uncommon, so i'd go with a resounding yes on this one. (wait, the rules and the background DON'T contradict each other, absurd! Must be an oversight)

Hey,

Must be an oversight

Wait, the way I read ...

... is that the "other" weapon must be "fired" also. So, no GLs on CC-only models.

IE, you get to fire two ranged weapons instead of one - not one instead of zero.

Did I miss something?

Playa

Hey,

Must be an oversight

Wait, the way I read ...

... is that the "other" weapon must be "fired" also. So, no GLs on CC-only models.

IE, you get to fire two ranged weapons instead of one - not one instead of zero.

Did I miss something?

Playa

The fact that you can always legally fire one weapon?

Archived