Blood Claws

Icewolf

My question is how in the 40k universe is it decided which blood claws get power weapons/fists and whch have normal chinswords, is it to do with which blood claws showed the most valour etc in training or it is like a gift from the wolf lord for valour in the field as a blood claw.

Icewolf

Now theres an interesting question for my own part i always just assumed it was those marines that had shown the most aptitude with the weapons in training who used them in the field. So swordsmen get power weapons, good shots are given special weapons etc.

Tho having said that there is plenty of evidence in the fluff to support warriors being given weapons by the wolf lord to celebrate valor.

Given that the discussion is about blood claws who wouldn't really have had enough service time to impress, I'd lean towards the first

Now theres an interesting question for my own part i always just assumed it was those marines that had shown the most aptitude with the weapons in training who used them in the field. So swordsmen get power weapons, good shots are given special weapons etc.

Given that the discussion is about blood claws who wouldn't really have had enough service time to impress, I'd lean towards the first

Never considerd that point and it does have some logical sense as the claws may not have being out in the field

Icewolf

That's actually a really good question. I actually had always assumed it was given to those who demonstrated the ability to really tear it up in close combat, those like ragnar where he was able to go into a rage and just wade his way through the enemies.

"Oh my god, Bob just went out and killed an entire den of Fenrisian wolves bare handed! Can someone get this kid a powerfist???"

demonstrated the ability to really tear it up in close combat, those like ragnar where he was able to go into a rage and just wade his way through the enemies.

But then if you read the stories ragnar never got a power weapon until then end of sons of fenris yet another fresh blood claw in wolf's honour comes with a power fist

Icewolf

LOL. Bloodclaws are the youngest and most hot headed of the Space Wolves chapter, they'll happily charge a Dreadnought without anything capable of hurting it.

I can see from a Wolf Lord's point of view to give BC special CCW to maximise their CC hard hitting power. Already ferocious as they are and since they can hurt someone really badly with just bolter and chainsword, why not give them something with extra bite like a weapon capable of carving through terminator armour? Even though it would be better in the hands of the Grey Hunters but Bloodclaws are exclusive hard hitting assault troops while Grey Hunter provides extreme close range fire support.

That's what I've always envisioned about the tactics of the Space Wolves. Shoot them in the face while your more ferocious and glory seeking brethrens charge in and carve them to pieces. I can be wrong however but worry not cub for Rune Lord Beef or senior Rune Priest Dark Bjoern might drop by and give you whelps a lesson or two about the Bloodclaws. Beef, I don't see that bloke around much anymore and I think you'll find him in stacks of rune-disks and ancient scrolls or if he is not than he is probably out in Asaheim looking for that damn-able Amy Winehouse. :P

I think it has to do with whose "pack leader" or so to speak. Sort of like a corporal or second in command to a Wolf Guard Pack Leader. I always envisioned Blood Claw packs broken into groups of 5, each a small pack in its own right with its own secondary leader to allow the pack to operate in smaller units while remaining cohesive and effective, and its these Pack Leaders that are given the Power Weapons/Fists.

As for Ragnar well his pack was almost wiped out early on, plus of course the early Ragnar novels and the last couple books were written by two different people, which can easily explain the inconsistency.

As for Ragnar well his pack was almost wiped out early on, plus of course the early Ragnar novels and the last couple books were written by two different people, which can easily explain the inconsistency.

Yeah, the last writer couldnt agree with himself what weapon Ragnar got from the House. I think king had it as a power weapon, in the first Lee Lightner book it was a chainsword, then in the next book it was a power weapon again...I think in the end, it was supposed to be his frostblade, in which case it should have been a chainsword, but that just goes to show why BL should be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to fluff. Yes, King did a great job of bringing the wolves to life, but he definately got stuff wrong.

I think it has to do with whose "pack leader" or so to speak. Sort of like a corporal or second in command to a Wolf Guard Pack Leader. I always envisioned Blood Claw packs broken into groups of 5, each a small pack in its own right with its own secondary leader to allow the pack to operate in smaller units while remaining cohesive and effective, and its these Pack Leaders that are given the Power Weapons/Fists.

So the top three in the pack as the whole pack establish a pecking order below the overall pack leader

Icewolf

Would certainly make sense.

Would be interesting to see if they actually touch upon something like that in the new dex, like BC's being able to break up into "combat squads" of 5 pack memebers. Lord, can you imagine all those individualt PF's running around popping tanks? would be pretty scary for our opponents.

Would be interesting to see if they actually touch upon something like that in the new dex, like BC's being able to break up into "combat squads" of 5 pack memebers. Lord, can you imagine all those individualt PF's running around popping tanks? would be pretty scary for our opponents.

Somehow I don't think that they would split them up into 5 man combat squads as it is possibly over powered and they fight as a pack and I don't think that would split up

Icewolf

Whats that? you brought some tanks?

oh look my pack of 15 bloodclaws are combat squading and have killed all three of your tanks in one turn...

:wub:

While i love the idea i agree with Icewolf they should fight as a pack, that and my mate would go mental with his all armor chaos list :P Then again maybe in a friendly game.... muahaha

Archived