Land Speeders & FA

Guest WG Vrox

Guest WG Vrox

I run a fairly balanced list and usually never run less than 1 speeder in my lists. however with the new cover save rule and the new configurations for speeders I am of the mind to fill up all three FA slots with 1 speeder each.

When I do run multiple speeders I still keep them together, they usual perform a sweeping flank attack on troops holding objectives, separated units or tank hunting.

I have 3 models ready to configure and before I get to put glue to plastic was looking for input from other wolf commanders on how they run their FA squads.

As of now my thoughts are

1 HB / HF -60

1 HB / HF -60

1 HB / Melta -70

This will give me both range and close in punch without getting to costly. The extra 10 points gives me a another die role for weapon destroyed results and compliments my balanced army list, filling almost any role needed in a game.

your input please

I have no problem with this thread discussing any fast attack options available to the SW army.

Vrox

I´m using also two LS. But i had always used them as seperate units. I had magnetized my LS so i can try out differend setups. In the past i prefered LST with HB/AC but the AC had become very expensiv. I would give a LST with two MM a try as as tank hunter.

And i thing about attack bikes. Now that the minimal size for the squadrone is one again i see them as an option.

I agree... attack bikes look pretty good these days...

I abhor the new skimmer rules as an eldar player, and as a SW player who has always enjoyed his landspeeders. Theyres attrocious. I agree they needed to be dropped a peg, after all I can count on one hand the number of times I lost a falcon in fourth edition. But still. It was the glancing only, ever, thing that got it. The new it only has concealment at 18+" would have been enough. But to nerf the shootiness aswell?

I like MM speeders for tank hunting. I used to love Hvybolter/AC for troop/light tank destruction. These days Im considering switching out the AC for another heavy bolter.... but I gotta say my hearts not in it.

I Either run pod lists, or all mech fast strike forces when I play, usually with a minimum of 3 speeders - In fourth edition. Gradually, the cost of speeders went up, and their effectiveness has gone down drastically, as well as their survivability, and lets face it, I usually got them killed anyway.

Now, I wouldn't pay 10 pts for a speeder. (I exagerate but bare with me) - Attack bikes are where it's at. I started fielding them when 5th first came out. MM usually but some with HB for anti infantry - The twin linked bolters are also very helpful. But now, a 2w, T5 bike with a MM only cost 50 points. 50. I will be leaving all the speeders, save the storm, in the fang and bringing out the more survivable, more effective, cheaper, attack bikes.

I've always run 2-3 in every single SW list I've ever run. The new rules do give them the shaft, but I think they still have a place.

I generally run 2 LS with a MM. Speeders are more fragile than ever, but with a flat-out speed of 24" I can generally keep them out of the range of any guns that will drop them easily.

My first turn is spent maneuvering in to position (moving over 12"), by turn two I like each of them to take a 12" shot at a tank or other nasty. Even if one of them drops a tank and they meet an untimely end in the next shooting phase, I'm generally OK with it.

If I were to add a second weapon to the Speeder, it would definitely be a HB. It gives enough range to stay out of small arms fire (which is generally enough to drop the speeder.)

-Huzzah

Guest WG Vrox
Have not given the AB much of a look, but I can see the advantages. In a 2k list, I am running a RP on a bike attached to a Running line of 15 BCs, thinking now of running 2 AB behind this squad 1 MM 1 HB to help deal with mech types. will also run 1 LS with MM to guard my flanks.

Archived