Celesias Holy Hatred?

Sahansral

Hi,

i'm pretty confused how to play my Celestians. Especially their holy hatred rule.

My old german codex says the hit most enemies on a 3+ (no ICs, TMCs, etc).

Somewhere around the release of 4th edition, they got the preferred enenmy for all enemies via FAQ (hitting anything on a 3+).

Then preferred enemy changed to allow rerolls and then suddenly the new FAQ skipped Celestians at all.

Now, to make things really complicated, GW Germany offers the german Version of Codex:WH for download, which contains a mixture of old rules and the FAQ.

Celestians gain preferred enemy(all) and there's even a page reference to the 5th Main Rulebook for preferred enemy, but then follows a sentence like "which means, they hit all models except ICs, TMCs, etc on a 3+"

At our workshop it is ruled out, that Celestians can reroll but don't hit always on 3+.

What a rule mess :-(

How do you play them?

As far as I can tell, celestians no longer hit on a 3+. 5th Ed. clearly states that preferred enemy now allows only a re-roll of any failed roll to-hit.

The UK FAQ says they have preferred enemy against everyone and that's all. It's annoying because Holy Hatred made Celestians a relatively decent CC choice for a pure Sisters army.

I read it as that they no longer hit on 3+, unless they're attacking a unit with WS3 or lower.

I just took a look at the latest FAQ. Yeah, so as per English version of the codex, it says use the 3+ to hit part. So I've gone back to what is in the codex, instead of the Universal special rule. It's probably safe for everyone to go with this since the 40k 5ed FAQ saying "Rulebook<Codex<FAQ".

I just took a look at the latest FAQ. Yeah, so as per English version of the codex, it says use the 3+ to hit part. So I've gone back to what is in the codex, instead of the Universal special rule. It's probably safe for everyone to go with this since the 40k 5ed FAQ saying "Rulebook<Codex<FAQ".

Yep, Celestians are back to the 3+ rule. Somewhat of a shame, I'd got to quite like prefered enemy: everyone but thems the breaks.

Rolling Preferred Enemy is going to be 5+ most of the time, since Sisters usually don't need to go into close combat unless forced by the enemy. Statistically, rolling 3+ with Holy Hatred gives 66% chance to hit, which is better than WS3 Preferred Enemy which will usually roll 5+ with rerolls for 55% chance to hit.

Archived