Whirlwinds

Grey Mage

Lately theres been a few threads on the different types of landspeeders, so Im here to ask: What do you think of whirlwinds. Tactics, loadouts you like to use, pricewise.... the lot.

Heck, maybe if we get enough of these going we can distill them into a 5th ed tactic... wouldnt that be something. :P

i deploy a whirlwind vs tau and nids nice bang for the buck as they say also hen i double team one witha vindicator it seems to have some psycological effect on my oponents with moans of dread and fear they tend to give up a lot easer i have no idea why this happens but there you go

It's something that used to be better in pairs where you had a mine laying one and a normal shot one, but now that you can choose whatever whenever it's only needed in one model. They're cheap, always get their points back, and usually either get ignored, or distract something that would ultimately hurt your other lines more so it's a good distraction.

I'm sure you could find the old rhino or whirlwind models and I suggest using those to help keep your whirly hidden. :D I think Omar might have some, PM him.

Guest WG Vrox

for the off chance I will face a horde army, I always bring 1 WW in my list. Even though I have had some games where I missed every turn with the darn thing, I still will include it on any list 1500 and above.

A tactic I've had luck with of late is if after the 2nd turn I've missed both shots, I'll bring it out from cover and get LoS on my targets to enjoy the -4 to the dice roll. This seems to change my luck and I start getting better results. Even though it becomes a target, its a gun or two that is not shooting at my main force.

A new tactic I am contiplating as I tend not to bring much armor is putting a H/S seeker missle on it.

Now in my last game it was the star of the show against a Marine army none the less, I rolled a hit on every die. Focusing on his scouts and dev squads with devistating results, it easily paid for itself twice over in that game.

Even in my all drop pod lists I still bring the WW to focus on the flanks as I tend to bunch up my pods on the drop. In those type of games, getting a pinning result provides a huge tactical advantage giving my wolves a chance to get into a better position without return fire.

All in all the WW provides the SW a cheap ranged weapon we are hard pressed to get anywhere else.

I have two old rhinos and an old razorback, all would be simple to convert into a small whirlwind. I am keeping my old style (the same size as those) whirlwind.

I used to take them in almost every list. Now, probably not EVERY list, but with the love of infantry in 5th, it will see its use in any game of 1500+ points.

Archived