HQ suggestions

Skoll Brandulf

Ok, this is what I have so far.

I am making my "avatar" if you will. Skoll Bonefist or Brandulf, the names amount to the same thing.

He is a Wolf Lord, or Master in the regular book, seeing as how you can't seem to find a damn SW codex anywhere... He is in terminator armor, he has a wolf pelt, rune necklece, wolf tail talisman, Mark of the Wulfen, and if any of you have other suggestions/critiques/add-ons, please tell me.

As far as weapons go, i am kinda lost. I am debating on giving him either a frostblade/axe, a powerfist/powerclaw, thunderhammer... i just don't know. I am lookng for something that can deal out alot of damage and take a good deal as well. My friends play Imperial Guard, Traitor Guard, Chaos Marines, Orks, Dark Angels (Raven/Deathwing), and Tau.

As you can imagine, I do quite well against most of them in CQC except the DA (mostly. Ragnar and a WolfGuard with 2 pwr claws killed an entire squad of Deathwing Terms. on their own. that made me smile.) and the sheer number of the orks.

As far as ranged weapons, I am leaning towards either a MC stormbolter or a combi-plasma. Again, some help would be nice.

My friends as I usually play at 1500 pts, but I am trying to push us more towards 1800 - 2000 pts.

Furthermore, do the DA and SW get any bonus' when teaming against a enemy with which they have blood feud with?

Master crafting a Storm Bolter isn't worth the cost. If your going for Terminator Armor you may want to go with Lightning Claws or a Frost Blade and a Storm Shield. Deffinitely avoid Power Fists and Thunder Hammers on HQ's in general. The strength boost is nice but its not really worth the huge drop in initiative, especially since your HQ's are the few models in the army with Initiative 5.

oh? I was told that only thunder hammers and storm shields could go together... If that isn't the case, then awesome! As far as the frost blade-shield combo, what about the Company Master's shield? I have a very outdated version of the codex, and i don't think they have it in there anyways. Does the company champion's shield count as a storm shield with a bolt pistol in it?

And i was planning on putting hellfire rounds into his weapon and possible putting an aux. grenade launcher on it, good/bad idea?

Space wolf codex.... you get an armory. I swear, its the bee knees dude.

Dont buy stuff from the regular marine codex... Just dont. Try to find a pdf.... supposedly the canadian GW site will email one to you if you ask politely. If not, look around.

No hellfire rounds. No auxilliary grenade launcher. No company champion... these things dont exist to space wolves.

And you cant give your wolf lord the mark of the wulfen unless you play 13nth company.

As for how Id equip a wolf lord?

Frost Blade, Combimelta, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Pelt, Terminator Armor, Runic Charm, Wolf Tail Talisman.

How I actually equip my wolf lord?

Thunder Hammer, Artificer Armor, Belt of Russ, CombiMelta, Wolf Pelt, Runic Charm, Wolf Tail Talisman, Frag Grenades, Wolf Tooth Necklace.

Its alot more expensive... I only bring him to 2000+ point games, where he targets whatevers biggest.... Demon Princes, Dreadnaught Spearheads, Nidzillas on crack... etc.

Ive considered remodeling him and giving him a storm shield instead of the belt of russ... but Im kinda partial to him.

Guest WG Vrox

Don't have the updated Codex but I am pretty sure you can not give your HQs the MoTW.

If am not running my HQ in a drop pod with TDA and AC, then they are on a bike with a SS and LC or FW. Having the ability to shoot TLB, a 5T and 3+ inv save and the awsome mobility it's well worth the 35 points imo.

I used to be a big fan of the PF / PW combo, but since we no longer get the +1 attack for those two CCs, I will only bring the TH as upon the hit both models are going at the same Init.

Only weapon I will M/C is a pair of LC with combo of WTN.

Give the guy a bike man- why have all that killy goodness rolled up in one HQ and not have the mobility! He can be everywhere you need him to be!

In fact ALL my HQ's are almost always mounted on bikes, with master crafted Frost blades everytime, with 6 attacks on the charge always hitting on 3's with a WTN and one rerollable, then wounding on 3's against SM's, he's a one man combat squad squisher!

Give him wolves so he can't be singled out in close combat (as they are a retinue), or to take the hits getting there, and boom- bobs yer bleedin uncle!

Figures, my rulebook is at the GF's house.

IC's are their own unit, AFAIK, during CC. They can be singled out.

Someone please look it up and cite a page.

I dont have my rulebook on me, but WL Kieran is right. A body guard or attached wolves on a IC makes him an UPGRADE to the unit, rather than an IC, so he cant be singled out in the same way that a vet sgt cant be singled out. It's pretty much the only way to really protect your IC. I dont know the exact page number, but if you look up in the RB under IC's it's right there in the rules.

IC's attached to a unit in CC: can be singled out and it's essentially 2 simultaneous combats

IC's with a bodyguard or honorguard: cannot be singled out as the IC becomes a "unit upgrade" to the unit.

That's the skinny of it.

Independent characters can always be singled out in close combat. They are treated as a different unit for targeting purposes. Sorry to burst your bubble. Still a mean set up though.

if you look on p.48 of the rulebook under retinues you will find that my bubble remains intact... :mellow:

Yes the Retinue rules are true, why do you guys think I keep adding fenrisian wolves to my HQ's?... and you thought it's because I have 45 of them laying around from my 13th co. lists... :P

It's quite annoying when a cannoness is in some superior squad that acts as her bodyguard and you can't single her out... my thirster was feeling the pain only by her... no one else... (S3 sisters YAY).

My Wolflord runs with lightning claws. The re-rolls mean he'll kill 3MEQs per turn consistantly.

And then my friend, you roll 3 1's... :P

Yesterdays game against my buddy: "Bloodthirster SMASH!", "Oh wait, you're girls?, oh, I can't hit you in good conscience... so I'll roll 4 1's and 2 2's to hit you!, see that's better right?" ;)

IMHO thats why they are called "Body Guards". It never made sense to me how in 4th ed. CC these so-called bodyguards would let the enemy focus most of their attacks at the leader leaving the guard for second. I don't think wolves count as a "retinue" though (beause you can still join other squads while you have them), I believe they only count as "wargear" models for your HQ. Though they can always be added to an actual WGBG to get a few more cover saves (who wants to loose more termies)

I'm lazy, I will look it up tomorrow. Until then, I still remain in obstinate disbelief. ;)

I can help you... I'm not feeling lazy today so I'll quote it for you. ;)

Some Codex books allow you to field characters together with a special unit that they cannot leave during the game (which is normally called a ‘retinue’,‘bodyguard’ or similar). Where this is the case, the character counts as an upgrade character until all of the other members of this unit are killed, at which point it starts counting as an independent character and it will do so for the rest of the game.
BBB page 48

well stick a wolf lord on bike with storm shield, master-crafted fb, loadsa wolf guard on bikes with the same and lightning claws if you must and runic armour ad stuff and baby ur cooking.

You can't give runic armor to WGBG, and they can't have frost blades either.

Besides the fact that this squad will be well over 500+ points and not likely to get it's points back, it seems like a fun unit for Apoc or other larger battles... I ran one time with a squad similar and it was 1000 points (opponent let me use runic armor because the whole idea was facing his bike unit that all had daemon armor to see what was better).

Personally, I keepy my Lord fairly cheap and run him in a pack of 14 BCs in a LRC. Talk about killyness.

He comes in around 150pts and is a beast. Plus cheaper he is, more points to spend on troops and such.

His gear is IIRC the following:

Frost Axe

Plasma Pistol

Wolf Tooth Necklace

Belt of Russ

All in all a sturdy character. I am debating MCing his Axe, but than again hitting everything on 3s doesnt really need MC so much....

• 1 month later...

thanks all. I think i will go with this. It looks good on paper so far...

Wolf Lord Skoll Brandulf:

War Bike

Runic Armor

Mc Frost Blade/ Frost Axe

StormShield

Fenrisian Wolves

wolf pelt

wolf tooth necklace

wolf tail talisman

with my friends being mostly shoot n' scoot, i need to have a powerhouse that can chase them down and place their heads on a pike.

In fact, I am debating having him riding his bike like the kind of psychopath that would make Russ proud. Maybe surfing on it? Still working out the details. As far as wolfguard go, I dunno what I'll do with them... I am making a great company called the Storm Wolves, a blitzkrieg style army.

Archived