Inducted Guard into GK

templargdt

Hi gamers, I've decided to start collecting a few Grey Knights and have started kicking around the ideas of army lists. My only concern about the GK is a need for heavier weapons like Heavy Bolters of Plasma Cannons.

Has anyone built any lists using inducted guard to gain access to these weapons? I read in the DH codex about the Inquisitor's Warrior Retinue, has anyone used these?

Also, can you guys let me know which method of Grey Knights generally works better, with Land Raiders or without?

Thanks!

Hi gamers, I've decided to start collecting a few Grey Knights and have started kicking around the ideas of army lists. My only concern about the GK is a need for heavier weapons like Heavy Bolters of Plasma Cannons.

Psycannon > heavy bolter, and you can get two of them per PAGK squad. As for plasma cannons, you can get them on Dreadnoughts or the Inquisitor Lord's fire support retinue.

Has anyone built any lists using inducted guard to gain access to these weapons? I read in the DH codex about the Inquisitor's Warrior Retinue, has anyone used these?

Inducted Guard should be mainly brought for spamming missile launchers and flooding objectives with bodies. The Inquisitor Lord provided a potent firebase and anchor for your shooty units, I tend to use the following build;

Inquisior Lord, psycannon

2 x heavy bolter servitors, plasma cannon servitor

2 x Sages, 2 x Mystics

(202 points)

Chucks out 9 anti-infantry shots and a plasma blast for tougher squads like Terminators/FNP, Sages boost the Inquisitor Lord to BS5 and let you re-roll misses with the plasma cannon servitor, Mystics provide excellent anti-DS defence. Very reliable firebase, camp them in some good 4+ cover and they won't let you down. Durability is a bit of issue though, which is why people often take 2-3 Acolytes in artificer armour (2+ armour save) to soak up wounds onto. They are 23 points apiece, so just add how ever many you can (maximum is 3) to increase the longevity of the squad. You don't wanna have to remove any of the gun-bearers or the Sages/Mystics, as they are crucial to the combat effectiveness of the unit.

Also, can you guys let me know which method of Grey Knights generally works better, with Land Raiders or without?

Generally speaking, you shouldn't be fielding Landraiders below 2,000 points at minimum. It eats too heavily into your bodycount of Grey Knights (which is always low to begin with), as 1 x Landraider = Justicar+8 x Grey Knights.

RD hit the most salient points in excellent fashion.

My only concern about the GK is a need for heavier weapons like Heavy Bolters of Plasma Cannons.

For 5th edition I commonly include two psycannons in one 10-man GK Troops squad and camp it on on objective. I also typically throw in an Elite inquisitor with a psycannon, too. This is especially useful in Capture and Control, but has turned out to be handy in the other two standard missions as well. 9 psycannon shots downrange is nothing to sneeze at, and Fearless GKs in cover can take an awful lot of punishment. While the combat effectiveness of the squad has been diminished by the presence of the psycannons, 8 GKs is still nothing to sneeze at and most opponents treat the squad gingerly. In Annhilation, keep this squad near the center of the action -- as static as possible to maximize psycannon dakka -- and commit it to a decisive assault late game, sacrificing the Inquisitor and pyscannon GKs if need be to maintain your assault effectiveness.

As RD noted, the Inquisitorial firebase is a superb unit. I would highly recommend giving a psychic hood to the I-lord for psyker defense (unlimited range at LD 10!) and, if you can spare the points, up to three acolytes with bolters for a bit more dakka and ablative wounds. Although I haven't yet done this in my 5th edition games, I have plans to drop exactly this unit within 12" of my aforementioned GK dakka unit so that I have excellent coverage against deep strikes all across the table.

Has anyone built any lists using inducted guard to gain access to these weapons?

IMHO, I think the best reason to take IG in the DH is to get access to lascannons, Chimeras, or both. Missile launchers are OK -- perhaps a bit more versatile than lascannons, being able to choose the missile type being fired -- but GKs handle anti-infantry so well yet have such a glaring weakness against armour (and a very low vehicle count) that I would strongly recommend lascannons (and Chimeras) instead.

Then again, I don't use IG, so you might want to listen to others more experienced in these matters. ;)

Entirely dependent upon your preferred playstyle. You don't need raiders to win you games, neither do you require dreadnoughts. But the tactics required to be successful with such lists are very different.

GK land raiders (and LRCs) under 5th edition are superb choices, but mighty expensive, too, costing you entire GK units. It makes your margins for victory a bit narrower, but you gain a considerable amount of resilience and firepower with the tradeoff. If you can proxy/borrow raiders -- and dreadnoughts -- for a few games before investing either way, I'd recommend it.

me personally, for my GK army... its currently at 1500 points and has 2 squads of 9 GK's + justicar, 2 GK's with psycannons, there are 2 godhammer pattern landraiders, a brother captain with 4 GK terminators, one with psycannon.

This is a very low bodycount for 1500 points BUT with the right tactics its incrediably difficult for most players to stop, for tactics used with this style of army, look for a post about the way of the water warrior, its a long read but well worth it.

if you can spare the points, up to three acolytes with bolters for a bit more dakka and ablative wounds.

I find artificer a better investment. Bolters don't really do much (they are cheap though), and having 2+ saves to ward off those AP3+ hits is quite useful, especially because there are no 'ablative wounds' to be found elsewhere (can't lose the Mystics/Sages, or the gun-servitors). You will take casualties over the course of the game, even if it's only 1-2.

IMHO, I think the best reason to take IG in the DH is to get access to lascannons, Chimeras, or both. Missile launchers are OK -- perhaps a bit more versatile than lascannons, being able to choose the missile type being fired -- but GKs handle anti-infantry so well yet have such a glaring weakness against armour (and a very low vehicle count) that I would strongly recommend lascannons (and Chimeras) instead.

Then again, I don't use IG, so you might want to listen to others more experienced in these matters. laugh.gif

There isn't really much to it. The reason I say 'spam missile launchers' is that you go -1S and +AP, but get to choose a frag blast against hordes. It's significantly cheaper (especially when you are taking 8-10 of them). If you want Chimera's just take IST's, we get better smoke launchers.

Entirely dependent upon your preferred playstyle. You don't need raiders to win you games, neither do you require dreadnoughts. But the tactics required to be successful with such lists are very different.

I would say 'one or the other' in that case. That is, if you don't have Landraiders, Hellfire Dreadnoughts are pretty near-mandatory. There really isn't anything else to match their long-range anti-tank for the same points. Even with Landraiders, an assault Dread (plasma cannon, DCCW+incinerator, extra armour, smokes) is still a good investment for providing anti-infantry firepower and close-combat help.

I think IST's have a place in GK lists, but not nessessarily inducted guard

why? the teleport homer. for minimal points you can run 2-4 squads of IST's then deepstrike in all your PAGK or terminators without scatter to unleash incinerator death on something

NaZ

Archived