Index Astartes: The Guardians of the Covenant

Basilius

Note: I have only read the article and not the response by everyone else, so I appolgise if I repeat an earlier point.

A Chaplain isn’t a commander, he isn’t a leader of combat, he is a spiritual guide, the moral backbone of a chapter. However good a certain Chaplain might be at whatever tasks, a new chapter needs a Chapter Master not a Master of Sanctity.

I would suggest more work need going into the Origins/History section. Across nearly all the GW produced IA’s, this section is the largest. Whilst I have always found it easier to ramble on about the details of their home world, recruitment, combat doctrine over writing a good piece of history which does not sound like a fight by fight account of everything, I think it balances the article much better. I see the history as the meat of the meal, whilst the other sections are the vegetables, you need them to make the meal but they’re not what you sat down for.

I’m not sold on the ‘What is the Covenant?’ sidebar, not just because of the lax titling, but the general length of the piece and what it attempts to convey. I think a more concise piece could be inserted into the main article itself.

I’m not sure why that mentality would irritate any member of the Astartes bar the few extreme cases of inner pride and arrogance.

Not abandoning allies should be a given for any force, and not something that is praise. Maybe change this to something more akin to they actively seek out forces in need and deploy without question, treating the lives of their allies just as, if not more, important than their own.

That is a hell load of TDA anyway, fourteen squads is still seventy suits, hardly what I would call lacking in that department.

I dislike the name ‘Sword’s Wing’ it doesn’t flow in my opinion like the Raven/Death -wing does. At the moment I can’t think of a suitable replacement but I would suggest thinking outside of the ‘wing’ motif.

Given that a large part of a chaplains time is spent being a spiritual guidance counsellor, I doubt he would have much time to act as a leader. Especially given that a Dark Angel’s Chaplain’s additional function as an interrogator, he really is pushed for command time. Maybe change it to that Chaplains are extremely powerful in the ranks of the chapter, commanding more respect then maybe even their commanders and whilst captains may be the voice of command, it is the chaplains who hold the power of the chapter.

Note: I have only read the article and not the response by everyone else, so I appolgise if I repeat an earlier point.

Thanks for taking the time to read the IA. I will respond to all of your points in turn – please feel free to debate, contradict or correct me as I go.

A Chaplain isn’t a commander, he isn’t a leader of combat, he is a spiritual guide, the moral backbone of a chapter. However good a certain Chaplain might be at whatever tasks, a new chapter needs a Chapter Master not a Master of Sanctity.

This has been brought up before, but following the precedent set in the novel “Angels of Darkness”, where an Interrogator Chaplain holds independent and secular command over a detachment, I feel that in the occasion of a DA successor being set up to divert the negativity caused by the actions of certain other DA successors, and the secrecy Unforgiven as a whole, would justify a leader from the ranks of the Chaplaincy. Remember that DA ICs are high ranking members of the Inner Circle in their Chapter and arguably know whats going on more than individual Company Masters.

I would suggest more work need going into the Origins/History section. Across nearly all the GW produced IA’s, this section is the largest. Whilst I have always found it easier to ramble on about the details of their home world, recruitment, combat doctrine over writing a good piece of history which does not sound like a fight by fight account of everything, I think it balances the article much better. I see the history as the meat of the meal, whilst the other sections are the vegetables, you need them to make the meal but they’re not what you sat down for.

This is a good point. I could have expanded the Origins section more with more historical tidbits, but was afraid of expanding the word count beyond what anyone would bother to read. I also think that the writing is a bit disjointed in this section and needs more work, so I will incorporate your suggestions and advice when doing a re-write in the near future.

I’m not sold on the ‘What is the Covenant?’ sidebar, not just because of the lax titling, but the general length of the piece and what it attempts to convey. I think a more concise piece could be inserted into the main article itself.

I am curious as to why you consider the titling lax. I thought that the sidebar was pretty representative of the sort found in most RPG supplements, and served to answer a question that a lot of people have about the Chapter without actually answering it. It was originally incorporated into the main body of text as a separate section, but if I read you correctly you are suggesting that it should possibly be split up and its concepts spread out between origins and beliefs?

I’m not sure why that mentality would irritate any member of the Astartes bar the few extreme cases of inner pride and arrogance.

Not abandoning allies should be a given for any force, and not something that is praise. Maybe change this to something more akin to they actively seek out forces in need and deploy without question, treating the lives of their allies just as, if not more, important than their own.

The Angels of Redemption are so notorious for abandoning battles, campaigns and allies if they even get a sniff of a Fallen. The Dark Angels themselves have been known to do so. I was setting up the Guardians, in their role as “poster children” for the Unforgiven in opposition to something that has been a core part of DA + successor canon – the pursuit of the Fallen beyond any other commitment to the Imperium.

That is a hell load of TDA anyway, fourteen squads is still seventy suits, hardly what I would call lacking in that department.

Neither would I, but considering that most DA successors can field 20 full squads, and tend to deploy their entire 1st company in TDA exclusively, I thought that the distinction was worth making. It was also a blatant fluff alteration so that my brethren can field some 1st company veterans using the sternguard models that they have all been salivating over.

I dislike the name ‘Sword’s Wing’ it doesn’t flow in my opinion like the Raven/Death -wing does. At the moment I can’t think of a suitable replacement but I would suggest thinking outside of the ‘wing’ motif.

I must admit that I am also not 100% sold on the name, but between the 5 of us we couldn’t think of anything else either. Eyes of the Covenant and Hands of the Covenant came close, but in someways those sound like entirely independent Chapter names rather than a subdivision on the GotC.

Given that a large part of a chaplains time is spent being a spiritual guidance counsellor, I doubt he would have much time to act as a leader. Especially given that a Dark Angel’s Chaplain’s additional function as an interrogator, he really is pushed for command time. Maybe change it to that Chaplains are extremely powerful in the ranks of the chapter, commanding more respect then maybe even their commanders and whilst captains may be the voice of command, it is the chaplains who hold the power of the chapter.

I refer again to the “Angels of Darkness” novel, but I get what you are saying here. I will see what I can do to incorporate some clarification and streamlining.

Thanks again for your comments!

I haven't got that far in the series yet, so I don't know how the HH books deal with the Dark Angels.

'What is the Covenant?' just seems a little underwhelming, a little to real word-y. I would suggest adding a paragraph on the matter into the mainbody of the text, not really requiring a title.

Covenant's Wrath?

Basilius, what about calling the first company "Swords of the Covenant"?

We are already mate, but I get what you are saying. It does sound sort of Chapterish in itself. Will think on a better 2nd company name.

I haven't got that far in the series yet, so I don't know how the HH books deal with the Dark Angels.

"Angels of Darkness" is not an HH book. Its a stand alone Gav Thorpe novel.

Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions - will look at playing around with the IA early next week when work slows down a bit. Keep all C&C coming!

I'm stewing through a few things that might be of help or clarification to you.

The Psycho sensitive materials sounds an awful lot like Wraithbone. Perhaps the world was once an Exodite world and reason the Saim-Hann Eldar came to purge it. This would lead to an increase number of attacks from Eldar. Adds some history for you.

I understand the Chaplain as 1st GM role but I would still leave an opening for Company Masters to be elevated as well. Make the GM selected from amongst the Chaplains and Masters present.

I am thinking of a name for the 2nd. Right now I have them as the "Sword's Tip" or "Sword Tips." This arose after numerous campaigns where the riders of the 2nd were typically the "tip of the sword" that plunged into the heart of the opposition. They have taken a personal trademark of delivering a "coup de grace" as they speed by instead of a slash common to most other mounted units.

I'm stewing through a few things that might be of help or clarification to you.

The Psycho sensitive materials sounds an awful lot like Wraithbone. Perhaps the world was once an Exodite world and reason the Saim-Hann Eldar came to purge it. This would lead to an increase number of attacks from Eldar. Adds some history for you.

I understand the Chaplain as 1st GM role but I would still leave an opening for Company Masters to be elevated as well. Make the GM selected from amongst the Chaplains and Masters present.

I am thinking of a name for the 2nd. Right now I have them as the "Sword's Tip" or "Sword Tips." This arose after numerous campaigns where the riders of the 2nd were typically the "tip of the sword" that plunged into the heart of the opposition. They have taken a personal trademark of delivering a "coup de grace" as they speed by instead of a slash common to most other mounted units.

Welcome back GMB - hope the wedding was good :lol:

I like that first idea - dont know a whole lot about Eldar and wraithbone - fancy PMing me a slightly more detailed description so I can see if I can work it in.

In the text itself is a statement that the second GM was a Company Master, and that the GM is chosen from both ICs and CMs when needed, basically selected or voted on by the Inner Circle.

I am not sure about those names, but it gives me a good idea for an elaborated combat doctrine section - and the use of the sword as the similie or metaphor of choice in the military parlance of the GotC. Thanks!

Stewing through some more ideas - dont want to edit too often for too little - will do a substantial update when the new material is ready. Until then - please keep all the ideas flowing!

Taken from the Lexicanium. LINK

Wraithbone is a substance used by the Eldar for many different tasks, including buildings and weapons.

It is essentially solidified warp energy which is manipulated by a Bonesinger into whatever is needed. It can only be shaped by using psychic powers but is extremely malleable and can be made into any shape the Bonesinger wants. It is also very tough and resilient. Being created from the warp, it has innate psyhic abilities allowing it to be used as a communications pathway as well as the structure. It carries psychic energy much as a cable carrying current does, as well as containing psychic shields to protect the occupants from the warp.

Effectively, the wraithbone performs all of the tasks a machine would. The organic members of the crew use psychic powers to perform their duties, but it is the wraithbone itself that actually does it. In the case of Eldar ships, the basic framework is created from Wraithbone and then the internal areas are made, finishing with the actual internal components. Once this is complete, the ship is ready to be used. Even the mighty craftworlds are made of Wraithbone, and this is how the occupants of craftworlds survived the birth of Slaanesh, for the psychic shield of the Wraithbone protected them from his mighty psychic scream.

Wraithbone emits a sympathetic psychic signal that Eldar can lock onto and use to control the object. Generally, Eldar buildings have a flowing form and lack any harsh angles. It is also used to make Eldar Runes.

Not Power Armour but it can be used to build out the story of the Guardians of the Covenant which is Power Armor related.

Another quote LINK

The Exodite Worlds are generally considered backward and rustic compared to the rest of the space-roaming Eldar although they still possess a good deal of high technology. One of the pieces of technology they have maintained is the Infinity Circuit, although on the Exodite worlds these are known as World Spirits and exist in the form grids of stone menhirs, obelisks, and stone circles all crafted from psychoactive crystal. Despite the presence of some technology, these worlds are often agricultural, however, and it is not uncommon for groups of Exodites to exist in a nomadic state, living off roaming herds and seasonal harvests. This is the most common image of the Exodite life. Many Outcasts will find a refuge among these Eldar, who are generally more accepting.

To others, they are the groundwork of a new Eldar Empire on the edge of the galaxy, composed of the descendents of those far-sighted and strong-willed enough to escape the touch of Slaanesh. Biel-tan is one of the chief proponent of the Exodite potential, and will often mobilise its forces in defense of one of the scattered worlds.

This would make for some interesting potential for background. The Guardians are getting knowledge from an exposed vein of the World Spirit and sharing it with the Ordos Xenos & Malleus but as they are of Dark Angels stock, they know how to keep secrets.

• 4 weeks later...

hi! I'm collecting a GotC army and I like a lot this Index Astartes!

I recently made a GotC organization chart, based on the Dark Angels' one and based too on this IA and the information on the post Differences between the Successors on this forum.

Maybe it is useful, or interesting for anyone.

English version:

http://www.4shared.com/file/74145273/73be3..._-_english.html

I put too the versions I made in Spanish and Catalan:

http://www.4shared.com/file/74145269/8a70e...C_-_catala.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/74145294/73598..._-_espanol.html

Forgive me for my poor English!! ;)

Edited by Morkai5

• 3 months later...

I also am planning a GotC army, but I'm only doing the 1st and 2nd companies (a DW/ RW multi-army). Hope you guys dig my color scheme, I wanted to pay homage to both the original DW and the AoA armies, but didn't like how the color scheme for the terminators looked for what was shown in the GotC Codex. Here's my color scheme:

tsm.php?hdt=ADADAD&hdm=ADADAD&hdl=303030&ey=CC0000&er=ADADAD?=FFFFFF&nk=ADADAD&cht=ADADAD&ch=ADADAD&abs=303030&bt=303030&btd=FFD952&cod=303030&ull=ADADAD&lk=ADADAD&lll=ADADAD&lft=ADADAD&url=ADADAD&rk=ADADAD&lrl=ADADAD&rft=ADADAD&sl=FFE4A6&sli=FFE4A6&sr=CC0000&sri=CC0000&ula=ADADAD&lel=ADADAD&lla=ADADAD&lh=ADADAD&ura=ADADAD&rel=ADADAD&rla=ADADAD&rh=ADADAD&eg=FFD952&sk=FFD952&rta=CC0000&lta=CC0000&lhd=FFE4A6&rhd=FFE4A6&ct=FFD952&cts=FFE4A6&camh=ADADAD&camb=ADADAD&cams=ADADAD&caml=CC0000&brc=ADADAD&rb=303030&gr=303030&bg=FFFFFF&grid=TRUE&

Once I finish painting and converting my army, I'll post my results.

Pro Conventio quod Leo!

Edited by Brother Emelias

• 4 weeks later...
I also am planning a GotC army, but I'm only doing the 1st and 2nd companies (a DW/ RW multi-army). Hope you guys dig my color scheme, I wanted to pay homage to both the original DW and the AoA armies, but didn't like how the color scheme for the terminators looked for what was shown in the GotC Codex. Here's my color scheme:

tsm.php?hdt=ADADAD&hdm=ADADAD&hdl=303030&ey=CC0000&er=ADADAD?=FFFFFF&nk=ADADAD&cht=ADADAD&ch=ADADAD&abs=303030&bt=303030&btd=FFD952&cod=303030&ull=ADADAD&lk=ADADAD&lll=ADADAD&lft=ADADAD&url=ADADAD&rk=ADADAD&lrl=ADADAD&rft=ADADAD&sl=FFE4A6&sli=FFE4A6&sr=CC0000&sri=CC0000&ula=ADADAD&lel=ADADAD&lla=ADADAD&lh=ADADAD&ura=ADADAD&rel=ADADAD&rla=ADADAD&rh=ADADAD&eg=FFD952&sk=FFD952&rta=CC0000&lta=CC0000&lhd=FFE4A6&rhd=FFE4A6&ct=FFD952&cts=FFE4A6&camh=ADADAD&camb=ADADAD&cams=ADADAD&caml=CC0000&brc=ADADAD&rb=303030&gr=303030&bg=FFFFFF&grid=TRUE&

Once I finish painting and converting my army, I'll post my results.

Pro Conventio quod Leo!

I love this scheme - not currently planning on doing 1st or 2nd company myself any time soon, but if I did this is a great idea that I might steal -_-

• 1 year later...

what would you name the master of the first company?

i'm intending to use belial in my GoTC army so a name would be nice

and thnaks for ur GoTC stuff, it inspired me to do GoTC as my first army Basilius

• 7 months later...

Sorry for a 6 month late reply :D Been out of hobby :)

I am going to do a DW/RW GotC army after I finish my BAs.

I am going to go with "Master Barzel" for my 1st company commander - its Hebrew for Axe Head. One of my Dreads if called Venerable Brother Ramoch (Hebrew for Spear) and the Captain is Herev (Hebrew for Sword). If I ever do a 2nd Company Master, going for Sakin (Hebrew for knife).

Off to look at your other stuff now mate.

Incidently, going back to the earlier argument about Chaplains as commanders, I think that Purging of Kadillus put that argument to rest in my favour...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

it's kinda funny that my very first post in this forum is just going to be stated in such a specific topic. Well, as a Guardian of the Covenant player I spent hours before getting to sleep to think on those background stories. Now those ideas seem very unnessary due to the fact that someone already put his thoughts into creating such a great background. Therefore I want to thank the every one of you that were involved into the creation of this story. It came out great, I think.

The most interesting aspect of which I thought myself already is that the first of the Guardians was a chaplain. Those amazing red robes made me get this idea, I guess. Therefrore I thought them to have deep connection to their Interrogator-chaplains/chapter chaplains. That their monastry fortress is supposed to look like a cathedral would make sense then too.

I dislike the point that they, according to your nice background story, are only possesing enough terminator armours for about 14 squads. I play their whole 'deathwing' or as I named the equivalent Hunter Clan (my 'Ravenwing'-equivalent is called Seeker Clan) and therefore I need those 20 squads. Besides of that I like the idea, though. If this was a passage of a Codex by Games Workshop (regarding the quality it's almost GW standard) I would play them this way, but I like it too much playing 100 terminators.

I also wouldn't agree on their role in the 41st century. In my mind they were always the Librarians among the Unforgiven. I thought their great cathedral to contain copies and uniques of many Space Marine books. To add books and scrolls, I had found it nice if they were always writing down details they learn per accident (names of brothers from differnt chapters) or information which is revealed to them by other Unforgiven chapters. Their libraries and archives in the catacombs of their cathedral would also contain lots of information about their Unforgiven brethren, about Caliban, about their mistakes in history but also of course of heroes (Dark Angels and successors) and they would know the names of every Unforgiven Chapter and might even posses one copy of Ezekiel's "book of salvation".

That they might have such a "role" in the community of Unforgiven chapters, is closely related to the German translation of the Dark Angel codex because they referred "the Unforgiven" as "Legion der Sühne"/Legion of exipation. This term is much stronger than the few notes that the Unforgiven chapters are keeping contact to each other. Nevertheless there are meetings on the Rock and the Supreme Grand Masters follow the leadership of Azrael.

One other point that I don't like is that you used to give the Grand Supreme Masters the names of their predecessors. I didn't like that concept on the salamanders (they name their forge master Vulcan to honour their primarch) and therefore I wouldn't like it on my army, either. But that is favour, I think. I am thinking about giving my Guardians names of Angels: My Supreme Grand Master is called "Camael", the Master of the Hunter Clan is "Barachiel" and so on. I like this really much because that makes them different from the Dark Angels who call their HQs like demons (Belial, Asmodai) oder fallen angels (Ezekiel). That didn't make much sense to me.

Oh, I'm very sorry that I mostly stated about my ideas on the Guardians of the Covenant and didn't say much about your article. But all in all it was outbalanced and a nice article. I really liked to read it and I think those aspects I didn't critizise I might include in my ideas. Maybe I will use your ideas as a basis (of course I would refer to this article if I posted anything basing upon this.)