Librarians in 5th

Ming

With Epistolary librarians haveing the ability to play 2 spells in a turn, a few questions came up at our LGS that bear some answers...

1. Can an Epistolary play the same spell twice, or alternatively, can they use just one spell per turn phase?

2. In regards to question 1 above, can an Epistolary use an "assault phase" spell if they are locked in assault?

3. In light of questions 1 and 2, can an Epistolary use his force weapon at all if he either plays one spell in any phase?

4. Stupid bonus question - when using a psychic hood, who wins on a tie?

We did see that a "shooting type spell" counts as shooting, so a Librarian could not say, use a ranged spell and then fire his BP in the same phase. I have not had the time to get back in the rules to see about assaults and spells.

If IIRR my Epistolary in terminator armor got into a situation where I had to take on a Grey Knight terminator in CC. The Aegis seems to act like a psychic hood. Both were similarly armed. We both were stuck in CC. Second round our so, I played quickening, which he tried to dispell by Aegis and rolled a tie, so we re-rolled the tie and he won. He struck then first, but failed to wound with his FW. I struck back, and he failed his Armor save, so I rolled for "the force". He rolled to dispell and missed, so we declared the GKT dead. Overall, we were in a megabattle with time limited turns, so we did not want to "delay the game" while we noodled it out.

Anyway, am trying to come to grips with the "New Librarian" and how to best use them. So far, I have a list where the librarian will be in an Epistolary in Power Armor, travel attached to another squad, and have Dome and Null as his 2 spells. The other version is a Epistolary in Terminator armor, attached to a terminator squad, with Quickening and Null. Overall, the concept of Null has been good - the range on making the opponents reroll saved invulnerables is useful. My librarian in the megabattle helped eliminate a GK Grand master and retinue, and a GK Captain and retinue. Overall, my Termie-Librarian Team's worste nightmare in the game was a well-placed IG Junior Officer with a Plasma-Gun heavy command squad.

Thoughts?

Well, I believe it is like this:

1. I believe that you can cast two of the same spell OR two different spells

2.Yes

3. If he is an epistolary, then yes. If not, then no.

4. The enemy pyscher. (Damn xenos/heretics/traitors)

Really, the new librarians appear to be a shooting force, rather than a close combat monster, although if you wanteed to go for a close combat monster,

take quickening and might on a PA libby, that way he gets more attacks, and awesome bonuses.

That combo works really well on epistolarys, as they can use both powers on one assault! ;)

I am rather partial to libby's, and am still trying to get to grips with mine! :)

Hope I helped!!

EDIT - I was wrong, please disregard what I said there:

---------------------------------

Not related to the questions, but something I noticed.

The grey knights' aegis special rule now does nothing. If you have a look, you'll see it says that it works on minor psychic powers, which, with the death of the old chaos codex, have now disappeared completely. The aegis rule is left over from 3rd edition, so it's a little bit outdated.

---------------------------------

As regards using the same power twice, the precedent set by the Chaos Marines FAQ is that you can use the same power twice, as long as it is not a shooting attack. After all, unless he is a monster or a vehicle, he could not typically make multiple shooting attacks.

1. Can an Epistolary play the same spell twice, or alternatively, can they use just one spell per turn phase?

REFER TO WARP SPAWN FOR NUMBER 1; YOU MAY CAST TWO SPELLS (OR MORE) IN ANY GIVEN PHASE AS LONG AS THE WORDING OF THE SPELL ALLOWS.

2. In regards to question 1 above, can an Epistolary use an "assault phase" spell if they are locked in assault?

DONT KNOW THIS ONE

3. In light of questions 1 and 2, can an Epistolary use his force weapon at all if he either plays one spell in any phase?

USING A FORCE WEAPON COUNTS AS 'CASTING A SPELL' SO HE MAY DO THIS AS NORMAL WITH ANY OTHER SPELLS, SO LONG AS THE TOTAL IS NOT MORE THAN 2.

4. Stupid bonus question - when using a psychic hood, who wins on a tie?

ENEMY PSYKER.

Archived