WIP Blood Angels squad. Please comment!

Ole

This is a tactical squad for my Blood Angels army.

As you see they aren't completely done (hence WIP), so if you have some ideas on how I top them off, I'd love to hear them.

Also, any comments/criticisms/questions are welcome; I'm here to learn how to make my Blood Angels army the prettiest one out there. :)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/OleSP/Warnolfi/DSCN1084.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/OleSP/Warnolfi/DSCN1087.jpg

I think I'll pass on the helmet stripes thing. Never my cuppa tea.

Glowing lenses, though, sounds interesting. I'll try on one marine and post him here in the (near) future.

I like them, almost as much as mine :P

nice red, are you keeping the chest eagles white?

Cant think of anything to add... you didn't like helmet stripes (none of my marines have 'em) some of my MK6 Helmets have the rouge trader style gold 'crown' to indicate rank etc.... but you have none with the MK6 helms.

What markings are you giving them?

I've had some good results with using a fine line along the lower edge of the eye-pieces of yellow over green jsut to highlight them a bit more, becasue its such a see-through colour it almost blends itself into the green with little effort, leaving a little yellow dot near the nasal edge. Also works well for green vision slits in tanks (Imagine the Cylons eyes in Battlestart galactica, but with dark green and a yellow light). though I use an old Ork Flesk green and sunburst yellow, yours looks closer to scorpion green?

I've had some good results with using a fine line along the lower edge of the eye-pieces of yellow over green jsut to highlight them a bit more, becasue its such a see-through colour it almost blends itself into the green with little effort, leaving a little yellow dot near the nasal edge. Also works well for green vision slits in tanks (Imagine the Cylons eyes in Battlestart galactica, but with dark green and a yellow light). though I use an old Ork Flesk green and sunburst yellow, yours looks closer to scorpion green?

Actually, I paint the lenses Goblin Green, then I use Sunburst Yellow for adding reflections! Just didn't get to that part yet. (If you look hard you might see it on the lean back-cool helmet-middle of the pic-dude in the top picture.)

And I intend to keep the chest eagles white. I did them by first painting Codex Grey and then White on each feather. Does it look silly?

I think I dislike MK6 helmets, that's why I chopped one up. (Left dude, bottom pic.)

Regarding the questions about marking.. I don't know if I should feel ashamed or what, but I haven't really read into that part yet. It's pretty confusing. So please take me by my hand and help out! ^_^

And thanks a lot for the positive feedback.

PS: The missile launcher guy's smile is creepy because of his BLACK TEETH. There's a new chapter name for ya.

Very nice BA you've got here Ole. Is that just blood red over a black basecoat?

Also didn't think white eagles would work with red though never tried it before but looks really good.

Keep up the good stuff and welcome to the chapter brother ;)

Thanks guys!

I did the red in a very time-friendly way:

Black basecoat (as you guessed), then a heavy drybrush with Mechrite Red so you get a very solid red base.

Then a heavy but thinned Blood Red drybrush. It seems that Blood Red has an ability to give a red glow with a very thin coat. I should actually use two layers of Blood Red to see if they'll really pop. I think the squad is finished tonight.

Regarding the white chest eagles, it's something that I've never seen on a Blood Angels army before, so I thought it would be a nice, unique touch.

Also, when I paint, I don't know if I handle my figures wrong, but the red sometimes (read: OFTEN AND IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING AARGGHHH) rubs off the most exposed edges such as the bottom of their calves. How would I go about that? Purity Seal after the red is done?

-Ole

White chest eagles eh? I'm not one to rain on anybody's parade... yeah, I dont see (heck, haven't seen) white chest-eagled BA army yet (something in the realms of the Sanguinary Priests), but nonetheless, something different and :tu: for it ;)

Your paint-falling-off problem: not to assume much: have you done the usual model prep-work? Washing the models with soap and water? Or do you have hands that sweat very much (like me) and get it all over the fig (well, as much as possible I only handle the base or whereever I put them on, like a bottlecap or sumthin)

And definitely topcoat you figs (Purity Seal, flat clear or whatever will float the boat ;) )

Anyho~, nice figs, I also use black undercoat, since I prefer the drab look of the grim future hehehe :tu:

Cheers!

Hmm need to try your way of getting blood red onto a black basecoat ole. I've been struggling of late since returning to the hobby.

As for your problem with the red rubbing off. I've only found that happens with red. Any other colour seems to stay on fine providing i prime them. To solve try mounting your figs onto an old paint pot. Just grab some blue-tac and stick it to the underside of the base then press it down onto the paint pot and voila. You can paint your stuff without having to touch them until you varnish them.

Got any other stuff in the works? I'd be interested to see an army of these guys take shape.

Yes! I found an old Landspeeder with an ugly but thin paint job that'll receive a repaint.

Also all of the Black Reach guys and an additional squad of Terminators as well as an Assault Squad.

I also have some Death Company figures that are stripped and due for a repaint.

AND Mephiston, Tycho, Lemartes, lots of metal figures that were recently stripped.

I should make this thread an army WIP thread since there's at least one interested. It'll help keeping me motivated too.

And I'll try the Blu-tac trick, I'll have my brother nick some from school ;). The paint rubbing off makes me feel like I'm climbing an oiled up slide.

Damn you Ole the old school landspeeders are sweet. Get that painted first ;) If your in need of a MM for it drop a PM. Got one, just missing the rest of the LS to go with it.

Forgot to mention earlier aswell. If you don't want to try the blu-tac thing then if you drill a hole into one of the feet you could glue a paper clip into it (as if you were pinning) then insert the clip into a wine bottle cork. So that if you prefer to paint without the bases you can do it this way. doesn't need to be stuck in all the way either can have it sticking out a bit incase theres any hard to reach spots.

Nice Blood Angels, great solid red colour!

I don't think according to any codex BA have had white chest-eagles, but whatta heck, keep that way looks stunning! The only thing I think you could spend some more time with is the face and the purity seals, but as it WIP you maybe were going to do that anyway.

Keep up the good work!

//Ziggy

Damn you Ole the old school landspeeders are sweet. Get that painted first :P If your in need of a MM for it drop a PM. Got one, just missing the rest of the LS to go with it.

Forgot to mention earlier aswell. If you don't want to try the blu-tac thing then if you drill a hole into one of the feet you could glue a paper clip into it (as if you were pinning) then insert the clip into a wine bottle cork. So that if you prefer to paint without the bases you can do it this way. doesn't need to be stuck in all the way either can have it sticking out a bit incase theres any hard to reach spots.

It's not an old school one, it's just old. So don't damn me.

MM? LS? Not understooded.

Damn you Ole the old school landspeeders are sweet. Get that painted first :P If your in need of a MM for it drop a PM. Got one, just missing the rest of the LS to go with it.

It's not an old school one, it's just old. So don't damn me.

MM? LS? Not understooded.

MM= Multi-melta

LS= Landspeeder

Was damning you (in a joking way btw) because i thought it was an old RT landspeeder you had. Sold mine about 6 years ago. Don't asky why because i don't know lol.

Alright, almost done! I need to fix up some very minor details and that's that!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/OleSP/Warnolfi/DSCN1089.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/OleSP/Warnolfi/DSCN1091.jpg

I also started painting my Landspeeder red, so it'll probably make an entrance in this thread sometime soon.

Archived