Haemon's Death

SeerBrun

I present to you something that should have been published months ago, but unfortunately that whole 'my house burnt down' thing got in the way. Oh well! Things are doing pretty well. Immortal Enemies trudges on. I present to you an illustration of the final moments of Chapter-Masters Haemon of the Lamenters (post Badab, post Tyranid). I have to say, I am actually pretty happy with this one, myself. I hope you all enjoy too!

http://www.immortalenemies.com/HaemonsDeath_sm.jpg

Very nice work. The B&C seems to have a whole crew of very gifted artists.

This is very true. I'm often impressed by other's stuff posted here, but lets not forget the larger slew of tallented modelers. There are models posted daily that I could never hope to do.

This actually really, really appeals to me. There's a really visceral sense to this piece that makes it perhaps the best I've seen from you.

You sound surprised! Are you not normally a Lamenters fan? They're a pretty neat chapter, and you got to hand it to anyone who'll go to ware wearing yellow.

Very old school Frank Miller, like Dark Knight or Ronin.

I am going to take this as a compliment and say thank you! I don't follow comics too much, but Frank Miller is a pretty big name so its gotta be good.

You must read the Dark knight returns if you havent, its amazing

I like this, very illustrative. Though I think your skills are up enough that you dont need photoshop filters to make your pencils better. just my two cents

only real crit otherwise is the backpack seems a little small. Other than that keep up the good work.

i like the face, as it seems implacable and stonelike, and by that, it appeals to me.

I agree with this - the face is a big winner for me. I normally prefer helmetted Marines, but this guy has certainly got a bucketload of grit in him. Very very nice peice of work.

Poor Lamenters. I've always liked those unlucky guys. If only I could paint yellow :(

You must read the Dark knight returns if you havent, its amazing

I like this, very illustrative. Though I think your skills are up enough that you dont need photoshop filters to make your pencils better. just my two cents

only real crit otherwise is the backpack seems a little small. Other than that keep up the good work.

I guess thats a questions of taste. I mean obviously it all could be. I have never maintained that what I do to my illustrations is supposed to make them look 'better,' because I always did it to make them look worse. The style of illustration I wanted in Immortal Enemies (and the one I like best in 40k) is very rough, very gritty, very dirty, dirtier than what I would naturally draw because I am naturally a little too interested in details. If people want to see what I can do with a pencil, they can look at things like 'The Ecstasy of Service' or 'Enthroned Marine.' People might actually prefer to see that on a page-by-page basis rather than what I do, but I've always been more concerned with character/emotion/evocative-imagery than proving I can draw.

i like the face, as it seems implacable and stonelike, and by that, it appeals to me.

I agree with this - the face is a big winner for me. I normally prefer helmetted Marines, but this guy has certainly got a bucketload of grit in him. Very very nice peice of work.

Poor Lamenters. I've always liked those unlucky guys. If only I could paint yellow :)

I think we can all agree that there isn't enough information out there on the Lamenters. They have one of the most unique 40k chapters out there. I just hope people like Haemon. I think he is the best marine in my story, at least in terms of his character.

Good stuff, agree with all of the above. I can't begrudge the lack of a helmet- how could such character be expressed with one?

Plus, I think it makes sense. Kairo wore a helmet into battle in the beginning of Immortal Enemies, but is portrayed without a helmet every other time you see him. Chapter-Master Haemon, here, wasn't expecting his Battlebarge to get annihilated...

...plus, he's got that whole Blood Angel thing going on. All the Blood Angel l leaders seem to forget their headware. Its harder to suck someone's blood if you have to ask them to hold still while you take off your helmet... that that they suck blood or anything.

Beautiful as always SeerBrun. Now lets see if I can pull of the conversion some day.

I look forward to it! I love it when people try to make models based on my designs. Somewhere out there is even a Zed miniature! No Seer Brun yet, but we'll see how lucky I get. In a day or two I will have another unstated challenge for the Black Templars out there.

i have just look at your deviant art and.... i have never said damn so many times in my life, i LOVE IT!! can you do commissions pwease?

I'm glad you like my stuff there. I do a lot of work that I can't post here because its just not appropriate. A lot of people note that I draw Eldar better than anything else. I guess it was my first passion and it still kind of peaks through (though I love some marines).

As far as commissions, I don't really do anything 40k related for money. I do my best to respect IP as best as possible and I realize what a tenuous position fan art has in legal terms. Games-Workshop may have the right to shut down Immortal Enemies if I did something like that, and thats the last thing I really want to do. My illustrations for Molotov definitely show that I have done stuff for free in the past for others, but I really have to get behind it. I'd say you could shoot me a line what you wanted; however, I don't work on a timetable, I don't guarantee that I'll ever do it, and you can't be mad at me if I don't get around to it.

Archived