{ARTWORK} Plasma Gunner

Mr. Nipples

First of all, I must say I think you’ve got lots of talent, and I really enjoy watching your work, whether it’s sculpting or drawing or whatever. I do join in on the praising you’re getting, however, I feel that the composition doesn’t really work on this last piece. I can see what you’re trying to do with the vanishing point, creating drama and a sense of being sucked into the piece, but I feel it's too much and that it doesn’t allow the eye to really set on the marine. That it’s sort of a struggle to not wander away from what should be the main focus of the picture. I think that the piece would benefit from some re-arranging of the LOTD-marine and painting a new background. In my mind it would be more pleasant to look at if the eye could rest more easily on him rather than being drawn away into the background.

I cut and smudged quickly, so the perspective in the background is off, but maybe moving the marine something like this would make for a more balanced composition, or something along those lines.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/tjuven52/mrnipples.jpg

Cheers!

It would be really interesting to see how you work on digital art. Mind posting this in steps to better see your progress?

I second that! this is a great piece, unfortunately i'm a little ignorant when it somes to digital art. I'm of the old skool, paper and ink :)

Updates

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/LOTD_Marine_OCT_2008_FINALcopy.jpg

first off a big thanks to Desert Eagle, defnitley pointed out some improvements i could make. I reworked the BG from him and MFVs inputs. added more stuff to it and have tried to create a nasty windy dusty planet.

Let me know what everyone thinks of the reworked composition

Yes I can add some step by steps on the next piece i do. Most likely wont be 40k related though, either way ill upload a video.

I only have two comments. The first is that there's just a little bit too much plasma dripping out of the end of the gun. Less is more. The second is that this is a fantastic piece of art and it's great to see it in steps as it progresses. I know you said it's your dream to work for GW my only question is.. how come you aren't already????

Awesome update Nipples. With the shift of the background the main focus is now on the plamsa gun. Thus being said the flames on the plasma gun should be alittle brighter and bigger. This is my opinion, but never-the-less this is still an awesome masterpeice.

How about making the gun barrel have a cool glowing metal effect? also, the hands could use some cool flameyness. My one beef is that the bright yellow spot in the background draws my eye away from the focus on the LOTD. Maybe something to highlight the chest piece, as it seems like a big void in the middle of a ton of flames?

J

Archived