DIY Warhound Scout Titan

Hi all

it's few days that i have a weird idea in my mind... TITAN!

Titan what? well surfing the net I've seen many times scratch build thunderhawk, dreddy, titans and so on, finally i have found a wonderful template on TabletopWar (can i post this link? It's just generic link to the website, if not I'll edit sorry) and after a bit of thinking i decided to try it.

Since I've never tried nothing similar except a couple of very simple imperial bunkers i decided to start making a paper mock up just do understand how it works... also because I've never worked with plasticard before ("and you are starting with a titan? u have to be crazy mate!!!" ... yes I'm crazy :D)

So i had at home very thick paper and i printed template on it, i decided to keep this try as cheap as possible so i used all stuffs i had at home:

Scissors

Modelling knife

Paper (of course)

Toilet paper cardboard (the internal part)

Sticky tape

Glue

Cotton bud stick

Toothpick

So here you can se the work as it's going on... i don't know how fast or slow it will be because I don't have a lot of time for it right now but I will try to make regular updates (at least for few days :unsure:)

Day 1:

gallery_29636_2747_146613.jpg

gallery_29636_2747_32589.jpg

Foot 1 with ankle joint.

Pistons are made from cotton bud stick and toothpic, very simple and it can be shaped well when (if) i'll go to do plasticard model

gallery_29636_2747_13132.jpg

what legs gears are made of :angry:

gallery_29636_2747_35870.jpg

Completed lower leg with connection gear with middle part

Day 3

ok so we are going a bit further :)

i made myself a small present for having completed the first leg and so i assmbled the Vulcan Megabolter

gallery_29636_2747_47901.jpg

gallery_29636_2747_83337.jpg

After that i started with the main body standing section trying to understand how big it would become and how to fix to the legs, so i can get a good idea of how i should position the second leg

gallery_29636_2747_73883.jpg

as u see this part of body is quite small and has marks on sides for joints with legs and a small armor on the front

gallery_29636_2747_94739.jpg

Ok now i know that probably in the template makes the lower body a bit too narrow (or maybe it's my error :P) so i started making the second leg in the same postion of the first and i'll add some spacer on the connection joint

gallery_29636_2747_43529.jpg

caps taken from plastic water bottles and some cardboard made my last joint, the second leg is not full yfinished yet, i don't know if i'll finish since this is supposed to be a mock up

gallery_29636_2747_170668.jpg

C&C are very very wellcomed

I'll second ilnar's post. However, if you roll a WHOLE BUNCH of layers together around something, you can get some decent strength. Heck, this guy made a final version entirely from laser printer paper.

Linky

So, I know it's POSSIBLE, I just need to practice some more. I'll post a tutorial when I know a little better what is going on with it.

I think someone is using the same designs as me.... clicky

nice work so far.... that pic is just the paper mockup im in the process of re-building it from plasticard.... if I ever get around to working on it again...

thanks all for comments (and sorry for bad quality pics, they are from my mobile camera)

@ilnar sorry i'm not sure about what do u mean with roll tubes, do u mean empty tubes? for final version i'm planning to use or pvc tubes with some layers of caps shaped like gears or something that would allow me to move them (like GW defiler legs)

@Cygnwulf that link is really astonishing!!! i can't imagine how long did it take to him to make something like that.. but working all with printer paper gives me a question... what about painting it? water colors will ruin all the external layer... or not?

@Mal yes indeed it's the same template :tu:

this evening i'll try to make and connect the upper body and maybe head

@ Albion - I've made several models from paper before, as long as you put several thin layers of primer on it before you start painting, it does just fine. That's the key, though, is light fast layers, and make sure you don't miss any spots. any that don't get covered might swell just a tiny bit if you hit them with some paint, but usually it's not an issue.

Day 4

almost done...

gallery_29636_2747_39937.jpg

here u can see the parts that compose the main body, just miss the sholder/weapons holder

gallery_29636_2747_34582.jpg

the 'hound head. I used tape for cockpit so also this mock up can be opened

gallery_29636_2747_47184.jpg

gallery_29636_2747_58905.jpg

this is the full body... don't u think it looks like a bomber? maybe instead of arms i can put a couple of air-to.ground missiles :(

btw now it's almost finished: both weapons are alredy created and ready to be mounted, legs are assembled and so is ankle.

If i have time this evening will glue all togather :)

Just an FYI because I've built a titan using that particular template before, the underside of the shoulders needs a little bulking out to look right, there's no 'bottom' on them. I just put a half inch wide strip flat on the bottom of it, all the way around and I think it came out looking alot better when you're at an angle looking slightly up at it.

EG, something like this.

Template

_

' \

Modifed

__

_\

They are great plans. I built two of them a while ago and with a little extra work you can make them look really funky, Certainly worth the saving of around 500 quid if you opted for 2 of the FW ones instead!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/BulldogUK/Warhoundsbased.jpg

There are some build pics at the bottom of this page Card Warhounds that show some of the extra detail you can add if your that way inclined. The basic model was simply sprayed with black car primer then the card detail added, simply a lick of paint after that and ready for duty!

have fun :lol:

Btw, the reaver plans from lackof are brilliant too, they are what I based the Grey knight Titan on

@Cygnwulf yes i had noticed that and was thinking how to improve the look, your suggestion looks very good thanks agan :)

@Bulldog your guys are very cool! i think that mine will never be that fine, but will try ;) Reaver template is very cool too but i think that after Warhound i'll spend some time to go on with my DA army and than come back to scratch build templates, i think i'll try thunderhawk transport (i love the idea to drop 1LR or 2rhino on the field :)

next step now is

1) Find a shop that sells plasticard here in Torino (Italy) my first tries failed

2) Play a bit with it to understand how it works and how can be worked

3) Develop some ideas... i'm planning to have moving legs, rotating body and swappable weapons... god knows if i'll ever be able to do that all ;)

• 2 weeks later...
So you just used thick paper to make the whole thing? How did you do the barrels for the vulcan mega bolters?

yes it 200mg paper for body, cardboard from toilet paper piper for knees and mcdonald coke's straw for barrels :D

btw in this mock up knees are very weak

Archived