Grey knight

Brother Tual

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0692.jpgMy first ever grey knight...

What do you think? I wanted to keep the grey look but not grey... I wanted it to stand out on the table top but without resorting to bright colourations and heavy use of extreme highlighting.. I tried to blend an almost black/grey through to white.. Does it work? It takes ME forever to paint... Only the hally is suppose to be NMM... first go at that too!! http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0691.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0680.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0688.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0689.jpg

*Looks at the picture, then opens up army carrying case and looks at his own Grey Knights*

Why can't mind look that nice?

Good work on the GK, if all your models are that nice you'll definately have an army that will you can be proud to display on any battlefield.

well darn it.... im in the middle of pating my GK force... and now looking at that... I feel ashamed....

granted I've painted 2 LR, 20 PAGK and 5 GKT in what... 4 days?

The starburst reflection pattern on the left leg is probably the single most spectacular NMM detail I have ever seen in my lifetime. Nobody ever makes patterns with NMM, they just paint wild extreme contrast or beautiful gradient, and stop there. No further complexiety.

What do you think? I wanted to keep the grey look but not grey... I wanted it to stand out on the table top but without resorting to bright colourations and heavy use of extreme highlighting.. I tried to blend an almost black/grey through to white.. Does it work? It takes ME forever to paint... Only the hally is suppose to be NMM... first go at that too!!

First off, let me say that your greky knights look nearly identical to mine, so I'm biased when I say I really like them :HQ:. I mixed up a series of dark-light greys (and tried) to go for an nnm look. I'm not sure that either of these truly look nnm, but I do think the result is very nice.

There are some differences, of course. My highlighting was a little less bright than yours (I was going for a colder look) and I think your freehand is better than mine. I also stayed with a grey and red palet, eschewing the use of gold (again, for a really cold, menacing look). I mounted them on ice blue slate flagstones rather than the grey paving that you used.

Anyway, enough about my figs. This looks really great, and yes, they do take FOREVER to paint like this, but as you get more of them on the table it's really worth it. I'd love to see how you tie in the terminators and vehicles.

-Silent Requiem

Looks ace Brother Tual, if you aren't proud of him already you should be :P I'm blind as a bat so sadly could never paint to such a standard (metaphorically speaking. I'm neither blind nor a bat :P), so forgive me if I don't dwell on the paint job too much :tu:

Absolutely stunning.

Do please post more pics as you see fit. I'd love to see terminators, Justicars, and GK vehicles done this way....

And then a full army pose!

Silent Requiem: Care to post pics of your own work?

The starburst reflection pattern on the left leg is probably the single most spectacular NMM detail I have ever seen in my lifetime. Nobody ever makes patterns with NMM, they just paint wild extreme contrast or beautiful gradient, and stop there. No further complexiety.

I agree the starburst pattern is a great idea. Thee nmm looks really realistic.

Thanks guys - keeps me inspired to keep going -

I am glad you like the starbursts - there is one low on the left shoulder aswell - It helps with keeping the grey consistant without getting it too dark nor too light... something I had trouble with and keeping the armour realistic and retaining some shadow and lighting effect...

Do you like the red?

I was very tempted to give NMM gold a bash but I honestly like the gold effect I can get using the regular colours... is it ok?

What about the lightning effect on the staff? I wanted to add some detail on it but I am not quite good enough to etch in some runes or inscriptions... the staff is a deep deep red and the lightning is also red- so its not too offensive... I want it to be a model that the more you look at it the more you see... the inside of the staff (which you cant see in the pics and is covered by a purity seal on the outside has alot brighter and bolder lightning travelling to the blade... i wanted to make it look like the power/energy comes from the knight himself but disipates traveling away from the blade.. maybe on some of the other poses it will be more prominant...

So - keep the star bursts - (I almost got rid of them because they were more of a guide to lighting than a desired finish)

Very beautiful work, I normally don't like NMM simply because while beautiful and a true mastery of the blending techniques it tends to come off fake. This guy, especially in the darkness comes off as something beautiful. It's like shining armor coming into the light of an overhead moon or dawning white-light sun coming out of the shadows. I noticed the effect on the halberd, really nice color choice. I personally plan to go metallics with heavy use of washes for my metal since I feel metallics are often done wrong or under-used.

Did you use metallics on the non-plate trim? the belt and such? IF so they contrast nicely with the paintjob of the armor plates. I personally plan to go with a blue tinge on my armor plating, mixing in a dot of blue ink into my metallics when I put them on and water them down. Then going over them with washes to desired highlighting. Love the work though.

All the gold is normal metallic paint - so the belt and the small armour sections are all traditional metallic gold paint... though its a complex "a bit of that and a bit of this until I lliked the colour mix" - -

I did use a bit of blue - mainly higher on the model though - it is most noticable on the helmet - and around the starbursts... I didnt mix it in with my paint though.. I glazed it on ever so lighlty after blending the grey but before the white highlights were applied and blended into the grey... But what you suggest could work.. post up spme pics of them ^_^

All the gold is normal metallic paint - so the belt and the small armour sections are all traditional metallic gold paint... though its a complex "a bit of that and a bit of this until I lliked the colour mix" - -

I did use a bit of blue - mainly higher on the model though - it is most noticable on the helmet - and around the starbursts... I didnt mix it in with my paint though.. I glazed it on ever so lighlty after blending the grey but before the white highlights were applied and blended into the grey... But what you suggest could work.. post up spme pics of them ^_^

Very beautiful model. I actually experimented with mixing metallics into matte paints, this adds a kind of sparkle and sheen to the matte paint that is muted by the metallics. Might be worth playing with sometime. Other than that keep up the great work.

Few questions, you use a wet-pallet no? Also how do you go about getting your blending so clean? What do you water down your paint with?

how about I write down exactly what I do with the next one and take WIP pics?

It going to take a while... maybe start next week or so -

No wet pallet - no wet blending.. its all layering and blending - its just lots of coats...

I water my paints down with water ... ;)

I use the new washes - both the blue and the black - both watered down - paint the grey (fairly easy to blend and layer) and then just glaze blue - let it dry, glaze the black until it gives the right depth and shadow (I dont hit the WHOLE surfurce with the glazes, and each time it reduces) you have to be careful with the black - it goes on like water and just goes shinny, but dries ALOT darker and mat than you would expect - Pull out the fortress grey and highlight and try to layer it back to th base colour but over a VERY short distance - then a skull white highlight - as fine as you can get it... Thats basically it -

The gold has colours + other metals + washes all mixed in my paint - I have three - A browner gold (base) A greenish gold (highlights) and a brighter more metal gold (lots of mithril mix) and then I either wash it back with brown ink (it keeps it shinny) and create depth for larger areas or just a quick highlight with mithril

Wow thats just insane, he looks absolutely sweet, will be awesome to see a squad of them!

GK I find are one of the most rewarding models to paint, I just finished a justicar for my squad which now numbers 5 and am so proud of them sitting there on my shelf waiting for more friends, but mine look like something a 5 year old would paint compared to that :P

Keep up the exemplary work, something for novices like me to look foward too.

Ok - After the normal cleaning and building (pinning etc) of your model - I personnally prefer to paint built models because it helps with perspective and keeps me interested long than otherwise...

So - Undercoated with GW black - easy as -

Base coat - Battle grey - slightly watered down - I wet my brush - and put a few drops of water in the underside of the lid and mix the paint here - that way, I have very little waste and the left over watered down paint runs back into the pot and helps prevent drying out -

So with this slightly watered down (prolly 50 - 50 mix) I simply apply it to all of the model - Go for two coats rather than one mad rush - not only does it prevent clogging but it helps with covering gaps - this is two coats - I will do anther because I still have spots deep in the recesses - Unfortunately for me - these spots ALSO missed the primer coat!! grr - I will just use a stronger mix - maybe even a pure Battle grey just to touch up these spots -

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0693.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p449/brother_tual/IMGP0695.jpg

Archived