WIP scout bikes

elijahdprophet

So I picked up a scout bike to see if I liked the model 'in the flesh' and the answer is yes. This thing comes with tons of little bits and lots of options. I decided that I wanted an action pose for the Sgt, like he was quick turning and shooting at someone. 10 minutes with a pin vice, a paperclip, and glue got me this:

gallery_38261_2639_898632.jpg

And with the rider:

gallery_38261_2639_236371.jpg

I haven't decided on a head yet, but I don't like the idea of bareheaded bikers, so will go with some variant of the SM helmet most likely. I am also glad the bike came with 2 front chassis bits, one for the bolters and one for the grenade launcher, I have magnets on the way so I can swap them out when I feel like it.

Thanks for checking it out, I will use this thread for updates when I get paint on it and work on filling out the squad.

i like the posing of the bike & rider. there is alot of potentional there to make a nice conversion. my advice is do something special with the Sgt. model, maybe a little green stuff work or something from your bitz box. i will be checking back to see what else you come up with. keep working at it.

+++ edit +++ dont forget to drill out all the gun barrels and the usual approach to mould lines/flash ect. you thought of using the Cadians with respirators from Forge World instead of the scout heads?

Well, I can't really help with a piece, but I think you should have the guy's head facing back, like he's looking to where he's shooting at... I dunno, it made sense in my mind =-D

Yeah, whatever head I end up giving him will be pointing in the direction of the pistol.

As far as using GS and stuff, I WANT to tweak with the legs, but since you only get one set of scout biker legs in a box I don't want to mangle them :) I have never tried reposing limbs before, and would likely end up with a casualty.

You know, I think I have some of those Pig Iron visor helmets I picked up a while ago for an IG project... Its a shame I am stuck at work for another 7 hours or I would put it together and get some pics up.

Cool, been thinking about getting some myself would be good to see how they look on 40k minis!

Got the head pinned in place, will be buying some GS tomorrow to fill in his neck.

gallery_38261_2639_990450.jpg

I was worried the head would be way too small, but I think it looks pretty good, although a little small. It gives the motocross IN SPACE look I was thinking the scouts should have.

Still have some mold lines to file down, and I am trying to decide which gubbins from the set I want to put on the bike (bed rolls, etc...)

You should do another 2, to complete a squad.

And for one of them, he should be on his front tire, at a really steep angle, leaning sideways. Like This And use the "salt" technique Seen here And have his leg cocked out, on the side he's leaning, like a bracing. That would be pretty neat

And that head is pretty awesome. Somehow reminds me of Predator. Awesome anyways. And he's like floating on his bike too. I know from personal experience, that if you force the legs a bit too much, they'll snap at the crotch area, so be careful =-D

what else are you going to do?

When my magnets come in i need to fit the front plates, and then decide what bare areas to add bits to. I will also try repositioning the arm holding the handlebars, because that is what is making him 'float' off of his pedals.

And for one of them, he should be on his front tire, at a really steep angle, leaning sideways. Like This And use the "salt" technique Seen here And have his leg cocked out, on the side he's leaning, like a bracing. That would be pretty neat

That is an interesting technique. I wanted a low, almost scraping, pose, but didn't want to resculpt a set of legs, that might do the trick.

looks like he braked REALLY fast.

Exactly what I was going for, glad it came through!

Alright, did a bit a GS work, I have never used the stuff before, but I think it came out pretty ok.

I cut the arm off at the elbow end of the gauntlet, trimmed both sides of the cut, pinned and positioned, then added GS. This bent arm position looks more natural I think, and allows him to sit properly on the bike. I also used GS to fill the neck gap he had under his helmet.

gallery_38261_2639_544265.jpg

I also added knee pads, because I think it makes sense on a biker (see the image linked above of the guy taking a hard turn). They aren't perfect, but I am pretty happy with them. I also put some stowed gear on the back of the bike and used GS to fill the gap.

gallery_38261_2639_440709.jpg

Next step is get some bigger drill bits and drill out the exhaust pipes. I got confirmation that the magnets I ordered are on the way. I also bought another bike today, so will figure out what to do with that one and get picks posted in the next day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, had a birthday weekend since the last update, so progress didn't come as fast as I would have liked.

Got this guy primed and hit him with some paint. I pretty much shoot for a tabletop quality or higher, so rarely do people look this closely at my work. Heck, I think 5 megapixels is clearer then what I see normally :-P

Anyway, the first pic is of the 2 front pieces, they are magnetized so I can change loadouts between the bolters and the grenade launcher. The highlights are kind of rough, they need some touching up I think

gallery_38261_2639_469438.jpg

And here is a look at the bike itself with each option

gallery_38261_2639_799190.jpg

gallery_38261_2639_1279812.jpg

Next step is weathering, adding some scrapes to the metal and dirt to the tires/undercarriage.

Rider is still solid black primer, will work on him, and building the second bike I bought, and building some sternguard, over the weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Archived