White Scars Commander

Winterseven

Hi All,

I got talking in one of the other Forums about the WhiteScars and came up with an idea of using some of the old Atillian Rough Rider parts to help create a Genghis Khan type character to act as a commander to said Chapter.

So I would like your opinions on the following:

1) Do i have him free standing or on a Bike (I'm guessing bike is going to be the obvious option but I thought i'd ask anyway)

2) What is the most Mongolain looking body to use? I know that GW do a WhiteScars commander upgrade but he doesnt look imposing enough.

3) If I use a bike should I use just a regular Attackbike/Chaplain bike and 'kit it out' with iconography or should i go a bit out on the edge and use the Ravenwing Jet Bike as a base. He is a commander after all.

and finally...

4) What excuse do i use with the other half for starting yet another Space Marine project :ph34r:

If anyone else has suggestions on bits to use etc it will as always be appreciated. I promise to post Pics of the progress too!

Cheers

In terms of points 1 & 3, I think that you should go with a bike all the way: maybe one of the chopper style bikes? While land speeders in a White Scars army are passible as they are quite blockly, I don't think that the jetbike is really inkeeping with the typical idea of the feral mongul look.

I don’t have my bitz catalogue with me, so I cant really help on the bitz front.

I think what you need to bear in mind is that the white scars should have an eastern feel to them, have a quick look on wikipedia at some Mongol pages, I thought "Mongol military tactics and organization" was particulalry inspiring.

The commander should not be too heavy and unwieldy, should have the clichéd facial hair, furs, I’d leave the hat off. Depending on how far you want to take the Mongol theme, you could think about his weaponry based upon what the Mongols would have used?

Key themes:

Lightly armoured

Very fast

Fur & trophies

Small shields

Clichéd facial hair

"The Mongol warfare is characterized as indirect warfare, deception, timing, teamwork, terror and mobility. Since there was no general "honour" in battle among the Mongols in sense with the European chivalry and the Japanese bushido concepts there was no need to fight in rigid close combat or make frontal assaults that was considered not practical. Their tactic and strategy is to split enemies, keep enemies divided, induce terror along with the least cost to themselves" < wiki

Cheers Admiral,

That's really helpful.

I was unsure about the hat, I'll look at the Space Wolf parts to see if i can find a suitable head and maybe use some gs on him to make a long moustache and beard.

I like the idea of a war banner on that wikipedia link you sent me. I might mount one on the back of the bike. In terms of the Bike i was thinking about a chopper, but i was thinking about using the tracks from the Ork Wartrack kit to make like a Snowmobile style chopper, then mount him on a slate base to make him look like he's traversing rough terrain. Maybe even try and get a lamb or horse skull to mount on the front forks of the bike.

In terms of weapons i was going to go with a Rough Riders Lance, i'll have him with a gun or something slung across his back for when he dismounts the bike. Maybe get some skulls as trophies and nick a rounded shiled from one of the warhammer kits.

See the ideas are really flowing now.

The old Kislev horse archers had some really good bared heads with top knots and droopy taches that would be awesome, just call GW, I have some but I plan to use them in a deathwatch unit !

Also if you buy the whitescar bike squadron (if it's still available) two of the mini's have fearsome looking curved power swords they would also look the business !

Archived