Ave Dominus Nox

Wulfen Lord Leo

Hey all, I've decided that I possibly might go for an army of NL. However, my army will be used slightly twisted fluff in that Krieg was unsuccessful in grabbing the Corona, Zso Sahaal and Mita maneged to obtain it, get off the planet and with the help of some still loyal to the Primarch's vision chaos marines, formed their own army (Mita acting as an advisor)

I already have some ideas of how to put this army together, but I need to ask two questions: 1.Would Zso lead a Raptor focused army?

2.Any advice on things I could use to make an effective looking Corona?

Hey all, I've decided that I possibly might go for an army of NL. However, my army will be used slightly twisted fluff in that Krieg was unsuccessful in grabbing the Corona, Zso Sahaal and Mita maneged to obtain it, get off the planet and with the help of some still loyal to the Primarch's vision chaos marines, formed their own army (Mita acting as an advisor)

Didn't the

Corona actually fly off the building and Sahall dove after it?

I like the idea of the Puritan Night Lords army.

I already have some ideas of how to put this army together, but I need to ask two questions: 1.Would Zso lead a Raptor focused army?

Probably, yeah; in fact, it might be easiest for him to gather support from those former members of his army if they haven't given themselves over fully to Chaos. As we see in Lord of the Night, though,

they might be hard to redeem. You'd have to come up with some fluff for that.

Maybe you could sculpt something greenstuff-wise around a circle of wire. A good looking one though... I dunno. It's a fairly simple object in itself IIRC, the main point is to make the ruby look awesome, and that's a paint thing really.

Well, the Lord of the Night never mentioned that all Night Lords were there, did it? So, we can logically assume that any Night Lords that are of a Puritan mindset wouldn't be following Acerbus, twisted Daemon Prince that he is, and as such wouldn't have shown up in the book.

I think it's perfectly logical to assume that there are more Night Lords out there who follow the teachings of the Night Haunter more thoroughly, rather than having simply given in to powerlust and greed.

Didn't the

Corona actually fly off the building and Sahall dove after it?

I like the idea of the Puritan Night Lords army.

Probably, yeah; in fact, it might be easiest for him to gather support from those former members of his army if they haven't given themselves over fully to Chaos. As we see in Lord of the Night, though,

they might be hard to redeem. You'd have to come up with some fluff for that.

Maybe you could sculpt something greenstuff-wise around a circle of wire. A good looking one though... I dunno. It's a fairly simple object in itself IIRC, the main point is to make the ruby look awesome, and that's a paint thing really.

Actually the Corona I plan to us will be a Tomb King Skeleton head, with the skull taken out, due to the headress looking so... crowny.

The ruby is going to be hard to get though, seeing as I cant GS to save my life.

As for fluff, Lord of the Night didn't fully explain who got the Corona in the end so I made it definite. As for how he formed the force, Lord_Caerolion explains it better than I could.

1. He would if he could. He'd have to find enough NL (and enough Raptors) who shares his ideals though.

2. Personally I'd sculpt it and use this as a reference, the Corona itself was iirc quite unassuming (apart from the stone). Just a band of adamantium really.

As I recall, the Corona Nox took the form of a black circlet with four horns/spires (one on each side, one in front and back). And then there was the ruby center jewel, which was round and set into the center of the front (where else, honestly?). I think the horns/spires on the sides were smaller than the other two, but I'd have to dig the book out.

You all are also assuming that Sahaal's version of Curze's agenda was the correct one. The end of the book seems to imply that Sahaal was played by his primarch and this seems likely considering he is basically a bumbling patsy that kept fainting and got manipulated by every other character in the book and had to be saved by a human who actually figured everything out and basically saved the day while he was napping due to a psychic attack. Also I think it's fairly unlikely that very many Night Lords could remain "pure" even if that was Curze's initial intention as unlike Zso they haven't been sleeping for 10,000 years and have actually had to bear the weight of all of that time and all of the things they have had to do to survive.

Anyway, I think somethig resembling the Witch King's crown from LotR except jet black and with a ruby inset would work for a corona and could easily be made out of greenstuff and toothpicks, or thin card if you wanted blades instead of spines (which I guess is more canonical, but I think spines would look better). And of course Raptors would make sense, they are about as iconic for NL as basilisks are for Iron Warriors, oh wait :)

You all are also assuming that Sahaal's version of Curze's agenda was the correct one. The end of the book seems to imply that Sahaal was played by his primarch

Of course, the strongest statement in this regard takes its source from a daemon who, while not exactly the subtle type, isn't someone I'd trust for objective interpretations.

and this seems likely considering he is basically a bumbling patsy that kept fainting and got manipulated by every other character in the book

Easy to be manipulated when you've missed ten thousand years or so and have to play catch-up. I thought his circumstances explained his failures fairly well, and his successes and feats make him a fair bit more than a bumbling patsy to me.

and had to be saved by a human who actually figured everything out and basically saved the day while he was napping due to a psychic attack.

A psyker whose circumstances and position within the Inquisition allowed her far more insight and capability than a normal human who managed to rescue him from a psychic attack from an Eldar Farseer, the most powerful psyker-type in a race of psykers.

Also I think it's fairly unlikely that very many Night Lords could remain "pure" even if that was Curze's initial intention as unlike Zso they haven't been sleeping for 10,000 years and have actually had to bear the weight of all of that time and all of the things they have had to do to survive.

True, you have a point here. But anything's possible, and if he can scrounge up enough to make a 1500-2000 point army that should surely be enough for his purposes. Plus, there's recruitment. Plenty of embittered souls out there, and though it might seem impure to recruit from those who didn't fight amongst you during the Heresy, needs must...

And of course Raptors would make sense, they are about as iconic for NL as basilisks are for Iron Warriors, oh wait :)

Oh, great, more about the new Codex. :HQ: Really, Basilisks are iconic for Imperial Guard in my view, for Iron Warriors they're iconic of 'we stole this from the Imperial Guard because there's no way we could forge a different artillery piece.'

Just as a side note, I wasn't planning on making an army greater than 1500-2000 anyway. It doesn't seem right for many more than that to have stayed pure. If I was to play Apoc, I'd add some 'traitor' gaurd representing a cult that either Mita or Zso formed as a form of terror tactics, like the Shadowkin.

• 5 months later...

night lords were kind of raptor heavy, and zso shahaal was the leader of the raptor division.

it takes some skills to be an effective raptor, though as the book shows, he's rather resourceful and could lead a band of unaugmented humans, so i think he could manage with non-raptor marines.

the vibe i always got from marines were super-augmented psychopaths, nightlords were super-augmented sociopaths

i don;t think it would have taken them all too long to slip down the paths of chaos, probably without even noticing.

though i do agree that not every nightlord would have been as twisted in the end by chaos. actually i can see a very few of them, that might have retained some sense of self to use the visages often associated with chaos [spikes, scary daemonfaces, etc] as a way to bolster the terror of their victims, [chaos as a tool] though as in the book, when you do this you trek a fine line.

if he could muster some raptors then that would be nice, like a pseudo honor guard, his chosen [though not really in rules] maybe give them IoSl to represent how sneaky and fast they are. where as actual chosen to get some infiltrator units.

the one thing i'd miss from the fluf for night lords would be the deafening howl, so maybe sonic weapons?

these are theme devices, i'm not telling you how to make your army.

Though, really, if you are going to go Raptor heavy, it might be best to use the Blood Angels codex, so that the huge amount of points you will be spending on jump infantry can still capture objectives, if need be. I'm going to be doing that every so often to shake things up, as running straight unmarked/IoCG gets a little predictable and bland after a while in the current Chaos codex.

Well, the Lord of the Night never mentioned that all Night Lords were there, did it? So, we can logically assume that any Night Lords that are of a Puritan mindset wouldn't be following Acerbus, twisted Daemon Prince that he is, and as such wouldn't have shown up in the book.

I think it's perfectly logical to assume that there are more Night Lords out there who follow the teachings of the Night Haunter more thoroughly, rather than having simply given in to powerlust and greed.

They've had 10,000 years to break apart, scatter, argue, fight amongst themselves, fight other Legions, and wage war on the Imperium. I think you're right; it's much more likely that the Legion is in a state of various warbands operating under different codes of honour and behaviour. Some more corrupt than others...

Archived