Two handed weapon with a power weapon

whytwolf

Hi,

I am somewhat new to the game and have a rules question. I have noticed that certain models come packaged (or prebuilt inthe case of the Sternguard Veteran) with parts to wield both a boltgun and powerfist. Is it legal to use a two handed weapon with a power fist? The codex states that the Sgt. can replace his boltgun and/or boltpistol for other weapons including a power fist. I interpret that this as an "either or" statement allowing the player to make that choice.

In the case of the Sterngurard Vet; it is a one piece model and is specifically modeled with a bolgun in a one handed pose AND powerfist. Was this a mistake or fundamental rules change? The Sgt. that came in my Devistators box had the same one handed boltgun pose as well.

Any advice or clarification would be most helpful.

Regards,

Whyt

This seems to come up a lot for some reason.

It's not a fundamental rules change, at least not from 4th to 5th. There was nothing in 4th to stop you having a 2 handed weapon and a single handed close combat weapon, besides individual codex wargear options.

So yes, you can have a powerfist and a bolter, as long as the wargear options for that model allow it.

In previous codices, it was stated in the armoury section that a model may only carry two weapons, one of which may be two handed. So even back then a boltgun with powerfist would have been legal. In the latest batch of codices there is no armoury anymore, and models are equipped directly from their army list entry. There is no stated limitation on how many weapons they can carry, but they are limited in how many choices they can make from that list. Space Marines can only swap in a weapon they already have for anotherone from the list, so they can usually only have two weapons at a time. But those two weapons could even both be two handed. Some models, like the honour guard even have three weapons.

Does the codex even define weapons as being one or two handed anymore? Relic blades are the onlt one that I know of that comes close, but it doesn't even say two-handed just unable to wield another CCW.

Anyways, the answer is yes, you can have a bolter and powerfist.

If you want to think of it as one handed and two handed weapons just say the marine puts the boltgun in a shoulder sling before fighting. Though with all the models shooting "two-handed" guns with one hand I don't think you need to worry, much.

older codices still define if a weapon is one or two handed (for example, even tho it looks two handed the NFW is listed as a one handed weapon, but the piddly Bolter is listed as a two handed weapon), so in those cases the restrictions still apply, but with the new 5th ed C:SM dex you can take as much as you like, provided you have the weapon to swap for it..

In the above example, the model comes with a boltgun and a poltpistol... he can swap either for a powerfist, so in this case he swaps his bolt pistol for a powerfist leaving him with a boltgun and powerfist.

So does he get three shots at 12"?

NOOO!!!! Your sarge can NEVER shoot more than one weapon!

to make this more adamant and clear - NO ONE (sans specific special rules / wargear / weapons) can shoot more than one weapon per turn.

but it does allow for you to shoot and assault... i.e. the boltgun can fire twice at 12" if the model moved, but you then cannot assault as you fired a rapid fire weapon... but instead of firing his boltgun, he can fire his bolt pistol and shoot once at 12" and can then procede to assault!

So does he get three shots at 12"?

NOOO!!!! Your sarge can NEVER shoot more than one weapon!

to make this more adamant and clear - NO ONE (sans specific special rules / wargear / weapons) can shoot more than one weapon per turn.

Monstrous creatures can but that is the only specific type of normal unit that can do so.

Archived