Combat Tactics in Assault

Wolfbiter

Because the rules for Space Marines using Combat Tactics in combination with ATSKNF in an assault confused me a little, I wanted to post how I understand it to work and confirm if I'm correct or if I've misunderstood the rules.

Let's say a Space Marine tactical squad has just lost an assault with an enemy unit and wants to use Combat Tactics to get away. If I understand it correctly:

1) The Marines automatically fail their Morale test due to Combat Tactics.

2) The enemy squad attempts Sweeping Advance (the enemy unit and Marine squad each roll a d6 and add Initiative to their result.)

3a) If the Marines win the Sweeping Advance roll, they fall back 2d6 normally, and automatically regroup at the start of their next movement phase due to ATSKNF

3b) If the Marines lose the Sweeping Advance roll, they remain locked in combat, but are not destroyed, due to ATSKNF. The No Retreat! rule goes into effect and the Marines must save against a number of additional wounds equal to the amount they lost the last close combat by.

Am I correct?

all answersare right, and combat tactics are an nice and mighty tool to make the chances better, that you can shoot at that mob of orks and there will be no single marine standing after rolling a double one :). i think the biggest advantage of that rule is, that the enemy can not shoot at marine squads if he wants to assault them, because the squads would take a few losses and fall back.

~hagg

hey champ, go back and read the regrouping section of the BRB - everyone regroups (or tests to do so when eligable) at the start of the movement phase. marines automatically pass the test and are not subject to the 50% condition, but follow all the other rules regarding regrouping.

Thanks all, I spent a lot of the weekend going back and forth between the BRB and the new Codex to make sure I was getting the sequence right...appreciate the confirmation.

@JamesI: Oh, and thanks for the reminder of the six-inch rule for regrouping.

I thought we were now immune to sweeping advances due to the new ATSKNF version?...

We effectively just take the wounds as No Retreat kicks in...

BCC

New version of ATSKNF? The 5th version is practically word for word the same as the 4th edition version. In practice it works pretty much the same in my eyes, only difference is how additional wounds are calculated if No Retreat! kicks in.

sweeping advance checks are still made as a prerequisite for falling back. if the morale check for loosing the fight is failed, and the looser wins the sweep roll, a fallback move is made. otherwise, the winner sweeping advances over the looser, and they are wiped out. marines don't get wiped out by sweeping advance (ATSKNF), so are then subject to no retreat, as are fearless units, etc... who don't even check morale.

the sequnce is:

fight

tally casualties (wounds lost), determine the difference between winner and looser (winner - looser = difference)

looser checks morale -difference in casualties

if the morale check is passed, the fight is a draw

if it is lost, then:

both players roll 1D6 +I

if looser total is greater than winner, they "fall back!"

otherwise, looser is overrun (sweeping advance)

hope this helps.

Archived