NaZ

So got into a game today, my opponent had just picked up the spearhead

his list was a bit short on troops, but had lots of toys

marneas calgar w/ assault termins 3TH/SS 2 LC

sicarius I think with some sternguard in drop pod

an honor guard in a rhino

some snipers w/ telion

a tac squad

(yeah he was really only running 2 troops at 2000 pts)

a vanguard assault squad

a devestator squad

a thunderfire cannon

a vindicator

I had

canoness with blsd wpn, inferno pistol, cloak, jumppack

canoness with MC power wpn, inferno pistol, cloak, jumppack

4 squads of 10 sisters, hflamer, meltagun, combi flamer & book

in rhino with smoke

2 squads of 8 seraphim, 2 hand flamers, eviscerator & book

2 exorcists

1 smaller squad of retributors -4 heavy bolters and a sister superior

11 faith points!!

he managed with his rerolls to steal the first turn

I had set up 2 "fists" of rhino/exo/rhino with seraphim behind them

my retributors set up in cover between them

he had set up kind of sporadically on the other side of the board. snipers set up 18" away from a rhino (no idea why he did that) some devestators right next to them, both in cover

a vindicator and the rhino behind that.

I don't remember enough for a full description of the battle, but here are some highlights

first turn he drops the pod right infront of my retributors. between the sternguard and the devestators, they blow my retributors down to the sister superior and 1 heavy bolter. - I probably won't take them again I'd rather have a dominion or celestine squad in immolator I think

but.. dropping in that close left him very vulnerable. my seraphim on the left jumped right up on him.. 2 flamers hitting 5 models each plus the TL bolt pistols.. plus divine guidance. the only model that lived through my fire was his character which then got charged. he tried a coup de gras, but whiffed on my canoness who then struck his ass down with her master crafted power wpn. (not to mention what the other sisters did to him)

calgar and his retinue deepstrike in on the 3rd turn I think. I jump them with 2 squads of sisters. the combined firepower with divine guidance.. yeah only 1 lightning claw and marneas walked away from that firestorm.. and he had taken a wound

but the vanguard assault came in the following turn, and he was able to engage both squads of sisters. ultimately the invul save prayer saved my butt and they lived through a couple of turns

I took advantage of the new rule that you can't attack a unit that just charged you if you're already in BtB, so I got a round of free swings on calgar when I jumped him with my seraphim that were hanging out right there.

when it was all said and done on that end of the board, the vanguard and marneas had killed off 2 squads of sisters and what was left of a seraphim squad that had tangled with the tac squad nearby. only the canoness walked away.. but she did walk away from that. everything on his side died

I tabled him on the 5th turn ;)

we were playing one of the ard boyz missions, 1 obj in each deployment zone and modified killpoints

I love playing sisters, damn glad I bought into this army. didn't like the retributors.. didn't think they were all that effective. but thats because they were the only target out in the open. with all the armor I'm running it might be good to either just bulk up the seraphim to 10 models each or take a dominion squad or something.

not sure what the ultramarines did, but they got purged with holy promethium

NaZ

Well, hold fire on your disregard for the Rets - it's pretty difficult to have a large impact on the game when you're wiped out first turn. It's not as if any other model in your army could have stopped the drop pod from landing and decimating them either! So don't give up on them, they'll prove their worth when you take on a horde army!

As Charred said, that SM player seemed to have little idea what he was doing, so take your glorious victory with a pinch of salt next time you face him - he may have wised up a bit more by then! :D

(yeah he was really only running 2 troops at 2000 pts)

It anything, that's the main reason he lost against a Sisters army. Sisters have THE most efficient troops choice in the game, and honestly you could do much worse than just plopping out six Battle Sisters squads as default choices in all games taht you can afford them in.

6 10 woman Battle Sister squads with HF/MG, VSS with Bolter and BoSL, and a Rhino with smoke will cost only 1224 points. In a 2000 point game, this leaves 776j points for HQ and support choices, usually jump pack canoness + seraphim and a trio of Exorcists, leaving you with this build, five points to spend... sixty scoring models in six squads, all with power armor... nine jump pack models equipped for tank hunting.. and three exorcists which will scare the crap out of most enemies.

Well, hold fire on your disregard for the Rets - it's pretty difficult to have a large impact on the game when you're wiped out first turn. It's not as if any other model in your army could have stopped the drop pod from landing and decimating them either! So don't give up on them, they'll prove their worth when you take on a horde army!

Actualy they did their part already. They draw fire and allowed others to operate in peace. Retributors work that way, they draw fire or enemy gets 12 HB shots every turn. 8-10 Retributors in cover are difficult to remove so anyone trying to get them will regret it when Rhinos and Seraphims arrive.

believe me.. I tried to help this poor kid with his army list before the battle. all the games I've played have illustrated the need for 4+ troops choices at 1850 and above

I'm keeping the retributors in at 2000, it just fits nicely for the points

NaZ

THat's fine. I usually put in either two exorcists and a ret or three exorcists, myself, it all depends on what I think I'm gonna be facing-- that is, if I'm going to be facing any horde armies, or mostly MEQ. Retributors with four heavy bolters rea very effective per points cost.

Archived